The People's History of Pop

Thanks for the memories and stories so far... I'll check this forum on a regular basis and will try to mention as many folk as I possibly can.

If you want to keep up to speed with other BBC Radio Nottingham nostalgia related stuff, please feel free to 'like' my Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/bbcpaulrobey/

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kath, I was one of the dancers on that BBC programme.....it was called cool spot and ran for a number of weeks........ I can list the artists, some of whom I became friends with ...... Spencer Dav

Yes Mick,there were some Daft Buggers about,.......came out of the 'Boat' one night and a Forest player of the 60s offered to race me over the Trent for a 'Fiver'......him swimming and me running,....

Not very exciting compared to everyone else's memories of pop music in the '60's, cos I never went to a concert, but I did participate in Hot Ice at the Ice Stadium. The Beeb taped 6 shows, lots of po

The Room At the Top was above a pub on Glasshouse Street (I think - memory duhh) but I can't remember the name of the pub - somebody answered that somewhere else here so maybe they'll do it again. It was a fiercely mod club. I remember a quite serious stabbing in there one night, fun place.

Edit: I think it was the White Hart

• Upvote 1

#27 It was The White Hart Mick. I used to go there too and remember the fluorescent lights and black curtains at the windows. Funny how little things like that stick in your mind.

• Upvote 2

Drifting off the subject again, The original intention was to have the main entrance to the Victoria station on Glasshouse Street. The foresighted brewery built its pub right opposite where the entrance was going to be, Jumped the gun!!! the entrance was changed to Mansfield Road.

• Upvote 1

The sherwood rooms! Saw Cliff Bennett and the rebel rousers there,it must have been late sixties/early seventies,fantastic.Saw him a few years ago when he was doing a free concert in the market square,along with a few other bands,he's still got it.

• Upvote 1

And Little Richard was later notorious for opening the Intercon at Victoria Centre, supposedly Europe's biggest nightclub at the time!

Paul, I would dispute that, although it's 40 odd years ago.

I was there on the opening night of Intercon and I think it was Lou Christie performing, along with Pans People. I was there with a friend who worked for Nottingham Topic and we had free tickets and an invitation to a private party in a side room in the club. The performers were at this party too, there was a very nice buffet laid out and my friend pinched a couple of jars of caviar and left with them in her handbag!! I certainly don't remember being in the same room as Little Richard and I don't think that I'd forget that.

Another night I saw Hot Chocolate there. There was a balcony at the back of the vast room and I stood up there with friends watching them. Like others have said ..... funny what you remember.

• Upvote 2

# 32. Ok Paul, if it was Tony Sherwood who booked Little Richard he would know the facts. Maybe it wasn't the opening night that I went to then!

I went with the same friend on a freebie to see Sacha Distel at the Fiesta in Sheffield. We arrived there to find hundreds of excited girls fighting to get into the place. We forced our way through the throng explaining we were 'the Press', the manager let just us in, we met Sacha Distel, such a heart-throb at the time, and had a brilliant evening!

• Upvote 3

Hi Paul. Some of my memories are already written down on my Blog. Feel free to check it out. Here are a couple of links -

Memories of the Dungeon - https://mauricemooreblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/16/the-dungeon-club/

Gigs I remember going to in the 60s - https://mauricemooreblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/07/live-music-60s/

I will be writing about live gigs in the 70s, 80s, etc but haven't done them yet.

I also record podcasts of the music I listened and danced to at the clubs in Nottingham in the 60s. These can be found on MixCloud

eg https://www.mixcloud.com/mauricegmoore/dungeon-days/

Finally I played in the band the Salty Dogs in the 60s. We played venues like the Sherwood Rooms, the Palais (both Nottingham and Mansfield), the March Hare, the Maid Marion, the White Hart, Lenton and various others.

Maurice

• Upvote 4

Yes, I suppose that's quite possible DJB. Incidentally, Little Richard's performance seemed similar to his reception at Wembley the previous weekend, pretty poor by all accounts.

I remember visiting Intercon several times during August '72, not the opening night though.

• Upvote 1

Not sure I've seen one memorable gig I was at mentioned on this site much.

The Two Tone tour of 1979 landed at...wait for it...Kimberley Leisure Centre that year with The Selector, Madness and The Specials all on the same bill.

What a night!

After all these years, last week I finally bumped into somebody else that was at that gig and learned something new about it. Apparently, they had been due to play Sandpipers in the Lace Market but the venue was considered unsuitable as the low ceilings wouldn't allow the bands to jump around on stage! Well, that's the tale anyway.

• Upvote 1

#27 It was The White Hart Mick. I used to go there too and remember the fluorescent lights and black curtains at the windows. Funny how little things like that stick in your mind.

Wow, I hadn't thought about all that for a thousand years, cheers, I'm smiling thumbsup