The People's History of Pop

Not very exciting compared to everyone else's memories of pop music in the '60's, cos I never went to a concert, but I did participate in Hot Ice at the Ice Stadium. The Beeb taped 6 shows, lots of pop groups/singers appeared lip syncing to their latest songs, and we skated around in the background. David Jacobs was the compere, this would be around 1964/65.

• Upvote 6
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kath, I was one of the dancers on that BBC programme.....it was called cool spot and ran for a number of weeks........ I can list the artists, some of whom I became friends with ...... Spencer Dav

Yes Mick,there were some Daft Buggers about,.......came out of the 'Boat' one night and a Forest player of the 60s offered to race me over the Trent for a 'Fiver'......him swimming and me running,....

Not very exciting compared to everyone else's memories of pop music in the '60's, cos I never went to a concert, but I did participate in Hot Ice at the Ice Stadium. The Beeb taped 6 shows, lots of po

Hi Kath, I was one of the dancers on that BBC programme.....it was called cool spot and ran for a number of weeks........ I can list the artists, some of whom I became friends with ......

Spencer Davis ( Steve winwood ), the Zombies ( col Bluntstone ) , Lulu and her lovers, the four pennies ( Lionel Morton who married Julia Foster , Ben Fogles mum ), Kiki Dee.......can you remember anymore and were we paid ?

• Upvote 8

Hope Kath has a good memory cus thinking Yardbirds were on with Clapton !!!???????? Or am I dreaming it .......

Did bring a piccie to one of the meet ups with spencer Davis playing , me and a few others dancing, and a gaggle of skaters in the background.....sure we got paid ......

Definitely Yardbirds and The Zombies and Lulu. Can't think of any others, and no, we didn't get paid, we did it for the glory, ha ha. I remember watching the programmes when they were finally aired, trying to spot myself on the ice. We taped them on a Sunday afternoon IIRC. I could kick myself, I lost the autograph book I had with all the stars signatures in it.

That's when Clapton was at his peak. He went on to John Mayall, Cream, then downhill from then on.

Only last week I saw a programme about life with the royals at Windsor Castle. At one point they had one of their big dinners with lords, earls, ambassadors, dignitaries and every other upper-class twit.

And in amongst the guests was Eric Clapton.

He's joined the clan who think they are part of the Establishment nowadays. Jagger, ugh. Richards, Ferry, Collins... Oh and Aunty Elton.

Hypocrites one and all.

I just checked and found that Clapton is a CBE. That's the one above OBE and below Knight.

"This is awarded for having a prominent but lesser role at national level,"

I'd be interested in how his contribution has been deserving of a 'lesser role' description.

• Upvote 1

That's when Clapton was at his peak. He went on to John Mayall, Cream, then downhill from then on.

Generally agree. Thought his stuff with Duane Allman in Derek and The Dominoes was fantastic though.

He had the great Duane helping him out in those hazy days.

I really think that Duane could have been the worlds greatest rock guitarist were it not for his untimely death.

• Upvote 1

Whatever Eric Clapton has turned in to he has inspired millions of kids world wide in to becoming muso's of one sort or another. His tastes were very eclectic and that shows in his later work (which I'm not particularly a fan of) but you can't say he isn't a great. This is a fairly general top ten and, in my opinion, there are some gaping mistakes in it.

1. Jimi Hendrix
  2. Duane Allman (maybe but not No.2)
  3. B.B. King
  4. Eric Clapton
  5. Robert Johnson (maybe but only with the Devil's help) :glare:
  6. Chuck Berry
  7. Stevie Ray Vaughan (don't agree - my taste)
  8. Ry Cooder
  9. Jimmy Page
  10. Keith Richards (don't agree)

The most glaring omissions for me are Paul Kossoff, David Gilmour, Bernie Marsden, Tony Iommi, Mick Ralphs, Joe Satriani **etc. Not necessarily all top tenners but definitely top fifteen candidates.

Some people even mention George Harrison in the same breath, not a patch on any of the above.

** The 'etc' means the list could well go on a lot longer.

• Upvote 1

Not very exciting compared to everyone else's memories of pop music in the '60's, cos I never went to a concert, but I did participate in Hot Ice at the Ice Stadium. The Beeb taped 6 shows, lots of pop groups/singers appeared lip syncing to their latest songs, and we skated around in the background. David Jacobs was the compere, this would be around 1964/65.

You've made Micky, my wife, very happy. She skated in one of these shows and later saw herself on the programme on TV. She has been looking for mentions of it on the internet or footage on YouTube but been unsuccessful. She thought it was called Hot Ice, not 'The Cool Spot'. She remembers skating to Dave Berry & the Four Pennies. She remembers there was a real buzz around the stadium. All the skaters were very excited about seeing the stars and being on TV.

• Upvote 4

Guitarists, well, where the hell does one start ?

1 Rory for sheer excitement and his unbelievable live performances.

2 Jeff Beck. Technically supreme, but a mite boorish these days.

3 Dickey Betts. On his good days, almost unsurpassable.

4 Duane Allman.... Innovative.

5 Randy Rhoades..... Unbelievable talent at such a tender age.

6 Warren Haynes. Probably the best in the world currently.

7 Derek Trucks. Possibly the best slide guitarist ever.

8 John Cippolina..... would have tried anything.

9 Chan Kinchla. Powerful in the extreme.

10 Koss....... So much emotion and feeling in his music . Honest, strong and real music.

And one extra just for good luck... Robin Trower.... Again. Feeling, emotional and gut wrenching at times. Almost brings me to tears.

In case anyone has not seen this, Micky went back on the ice for the first time for over 40 years to make a video for a song she wrote which was recorded by our band. She wore the same boots that she had worn as a young girl. By the way, the second time she went on the ice, she broke her arm!

https://youtu.be/KDQ513yw_Fc

• Upvote 4

I watched Gaffa a lot back in the seventies, Ian, used to go down to the Imperial most weeks for quite a period.

Wayne Evans is playing with Harry Stephenson and the Last Pedestrians in the Lincolnshire Poacher tonight! Quite a regular gig for them and they're very popular and bring a few in. Wayne plays stand up bass for this band and is still the same cheeky chappy and terrific musician he always was.

I hear good things about them though have never seen them.

I enjoyed a couple of the Gaffa 'Recovered' nights at the Nottingham Contemporary a while back. Quite amazing on the first occasion to see three of them again after all these years!

Miff was playing in a rockabilly band called The Outriders and cooked up a storm a couple of times when I was saw them, excellent. I hear he's unfortunately had to cease now due to hearing problems.

These things tend to be a bit subjective but for me any such list would have to include Rory Gallagher, Peter Green and Jeff Beck.

Now you know what I mean by 'etc'.

Guitarists, well, where the hell does one start ?

10 Koss....... So much emotion and feeling in his music . Honest, strong and real music.

Exactly, and Koss only a ten? :glare: