The People's History of Pop

Further to my posts # 31 and 35, I've just found my 1972 diary which makes for interesting reading and brought back a lot of great memories!

Anyway, on Friday 28th July I went to Intercon, (getting in for nothing as I was a 'member of the press'!!)

All I've written is that Pans People and Stuart Henry (Radio 1 DJ) were there and we drank champagne at a buffet in a side room.

No mention of a singer or group that night.

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Kath, I was one of the dancers on that BBC programme.....it was called cool spot and ran for a number of weeks........ I can list the artists, some of whom I became friends with ...... Spencer Dav

Yes Mick,there were some Daft Buggers about,.......came out of the 'Boat' one night and a Forest player of the 60s offered to race me over the Trent for a 'Fiver'......him swimming and me running,....

Not very exciting compared to everyone else's memories of pop music in the '60's, cos I never went to a concert, but I did participate in Hot Ice at the Ice Stadium. The Beeb taped 6 shows, lots of po

That's really interesting as it does suggest you were right about being at the opening. If you went in July then Little Richard can hardly have opened the club in August as the Evening Post states. TBI also says it was 10th August when Little Richard performs so I suspect it's a minor mistake that the Post says it was opening night. Tony Sherwood doesn't actually say that either. I suspect it's nottstalgia 1- Evening Post 0

• Upvote 2

I'm sure I took some pictures of the shows at the University, will have to check my old negatives to see if I've still got them. There were also some great bands on at the Boat but these were mostly pay on the door - so no tickets.

You also have to remember that in the 70's there were no large music venues in Nottingham, so lots of people travelled to Leicester or Sheffield to see the more famous acts.

For local events, I've still got ticket stubs from the following -

University - also got ticket stubs for Eddie & the Hot Rods (1979), Amazing Blondel (1975), Procol Harum (1975)

Albert Hall - Stackridge (1975)

If these are any use, let me know and I can scan them for you.

• Upvote 2

The Boat Club was my main haunt, those I can remember seeing on that small stage include Gary Moore Band, Supertramp, Nazareth, East of Eden, Jack the Lad, UFO, Trapeze, Heavy Metal Kids, Def Leppard, Stretch, The Scorpions.

Other gigs that spring to mind -

Trent Poly - I can remember Mike Nesmith (Monkees), Focus and Nazareth

Palais - Ten Years After, Status Quo

Albert Hall - Atomic Rooster, Black Sabbath

• Upvote 1

One of my all time favourite LPs is 'Charge' anyone get to see Paladin in Nottm?

Yes, saw them at the Albert Hall, I think they were on with Uriah Heep - still got the album too, always liked it for the Roger Dean sleeve.

Had an invite to the filming of a show at Central Studios featuring TYA .... Fantastic .

Last time I saw Alvin was at Mansfield Civic Centre. The date escapes me I'm afraid.

• Upvote 1

Just remembered that Ian Dury played at Clarenden College as part of Kilburn and the High Roads. That was in the seventies, not sure of the year.

• Upvote 1

Just the experience of seeing a live band in the 70's was exciting, the Boat Club was my favourite venue.

The first time i went there..Deke Leonard's album 'iceberg' was being blasted..unreal!!

Trapeze I think it was,a very underestimated band appeared one night who had a single out called ' Nightman'..Dirty Tricks they were called, we helped them load the van and we searched for a chip shop,but they were all closed.Roy Hill was also a great act.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen a trailer on lunchtime local news, there is a PHOP section within the Inside Out programme BBC1 7.30 tonight. Covered the Boat Club and the bands who played there, should be worth a look.

• Upvote 3

I heard that at lunchtime Dave. I'm sure you're correct in that assumption! LOL