I see that Carlton Library is hosting an event to celebrate its 110th anniversary on Mon 25th January. I have memories of visiting the library from my childhood up until I left Nottm, and also while doing some research in the last few years.

I am sure lots of Nottstalgians from the surrounding areas would have used this library and some of those still living in the area still do.

One of the people involved is Roy Skellington, who was the Barber on Main Rd Gedling for as far back as I remember. The man who kept my brothers and my friend sueB's brothers hair tidy. The shop being opposite Hardys Drive, where I grew up. Neil Kendrick has written a book about Roy and life in the area. Here are some details if anyone is interested.

http://www.gedlingeye.co.uk/news/2722/

• Upvote 1

Just a little more to add to the post above. There can't be many men of our age from Gedling that didn't have their hair cut by Mr Skellington in the 1950s.Just seeing his face again took me back all those years ago. I was once asked by SueB's brothers to go to Mr Skellington and ask if he sold "Sky Hooks". I remember his smile as he said "Very sorry but he didn't"

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Life-gentleman-hairdresser-Gedling-immortalised/story-28233068-detail/story.html

• Upvote 1

I used to be a borrower at Carlton library. To say it seemed a grim Victorian (actually Edwardian) building, I found some fascinating material there. At the age of 19 I discovered the novels of Vladimir Nabokov (author of Lolita), who spoiled me for fiction for the rest of my life.

Had a ticket in the children's section of Carlton library from my earliest days. My folks went regularly and I always went along. In fact I'm sure this all helped to develop my love of reading from an early age. This would have been around the mid fifties.

Kids section had all the usual stuff and I'm sure I read every one of their "William" books by Richmall Crompton. Used to laugh myself silly over those. Some happy memories there.

Always remember the caretaker there. I think he lived next door. Always referred to me as "the man they couldn't hang" Not sure why!

It was always very quiet there and you would get shushed if you uttered a sound that was not relevant to checking out a book.

Mrs Loppy worked in the library here for many years. Says it was often crazy with noisy kids. Very different days.

I'm going to try and pop in there on Monday carni it would be nice to see Roy Skellington again.

I should say 'Mr Skellington' we were never aloud to call an adult by their first name when we were children.

I wonder if he would remember our family names carni.

• Upvote 1

That sounds like a good plan sueB. I would love to see Mr Skellington again. Perhaps get the chance to see if he remembers our families or at least us playing out opposite his shop in the 1950s.

I am very interested in the book, I hope there are some for sale on the day. I have just phoned the Willowbrook in Gedling and they serve lunches, no need to book, so if any Nottstalgians want to join in and visit the Library or at least a mini meet up in the Willowbrook, Main Road Gedling at about 1pm. That would be great?

• Upvote 2

Mr. Skellington must be getting very old now. My father in law used to get his hair cut there back in the 60s. Maybe Roy is his son?

Edited to add. Thanks for the link, Carni. Nice to see the inside of Gedling church in the background too.

• Upvote 1

I would be surprised (nicely) if Mr Skellington Senior is still alive because Roy is 87 now,he started cutting hair while still at school aged 14 and went intothe family business, I imagine after leaving school. LL, if you want to read up a bit about Roy there is a Link on #2 with details about Roy. Very interesting, it bought a tear to my eyes when I saw a picture of him after all these years.

• Upvote 1

I have just phoned the Willowbrook in Gedling and they serve lunches, no need to book, so if any Nottstalgians want to join in and visit the Library or at least a mini meet up in the Willowbrook, Main Road Gedling at about 1pm. That would be great?

Start a new thread in Social Functions and see what happens !

Monday 25th Jan Mick, I have put a link on #1 from the "Gedling Eye". The event? is from 11am-12.30pm. I have no idea what is happening, perhaps an open day. I just found it whilst browsing and when I saw that Mr Skellingtons son Roy was mentioned regarding the book, it brought back memories from my childhood. I am hoping to get one of the books about Gedling and The Barbers.

Lunch at the Willowbrook was an after thought seeing as we will be near Gedling, we decided to have our lunch o

I seem to remember the name Skellington from my days living at Carlton.

Was his shop on the left, just before the crossing when going in to Netherfield?

I have just been in touch with Carlton Library and asked what the event entails. It begins at 11am and it is a talk about Gedling and surrounding areas, old photo's etc. Seats are provided, but the library is only so big, I imagine space is limited. It finishes approx 12.30pm, for coffee if wanted, and reminiscing

Here is the number if anyone has queries. 01159870276.

We will make our way then to the Willowbrook for lunch. and you never know, we might meet Pixie.

Mick, his Barbers Shop was on Main Road Gedling, opposite Hardys Drive. Half way between Chesterfield Arms and Westdale Lane. It was on a corner, but I can't recall the road name.

I would absolutely love to be there Carni but we live near Skeg and its also our anniversary on that day and we will be away. I do hope you have a great time.

I seam to remember the barbers shop wasn't it below the british legion on the same side before the crossings?

• Upvote 1

I don't know if Skellingtons had more than one Barbers shop. I only know of the one on Main Road Gedling, simply because I grew up on Hardys Drive, directly opposite the shop, and our brothers and father would have their hair cut by either Mr Skellington Senior or Roy.

We lived opposite the shop for the first ten years of my life. As for another shop run by the family down from the British Legion, I have no idea. #13, Mick has mentioned a shop in the same area, so perhaps they did have another property. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I remember broomhill house, it was where I was sent from Chandos st school just prior to leaving to see what work I wanted to do, I remember that day looking out of the window and seeing Starbuck butchers and I asked him if I could work there, he said there were no vacancies but there's a job in the confectionary department at the co-op in meadow lane nottm and thats where I started my first job leaving school. I often wonder if broomhill house is still there.

# 17 carni

was there a small electrical shop by the name of Hopkins on main rd gedling, just up from the dentist I went to school with a lad called Jebb who has something to do with diddyland Mapperley top. i think the man that owned the electrical shop was his uncle.

I remember the Dentist. I had a bad experience there when I was about 11yrs old and it led me into a lifelong fear of Dentists! Sorry though the name Hopkins sounds familiar, I can't remember why?

The only thing that came up when I googled Broomhill House was this reference. Would this be the place you mentioned.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Mental-health-campaigners-raise-concers-closure/story-26864297-detail/story.html

11am at the Carlton Library tomorrow and 1-1.30pm at The Willowbrook. Looking Forward! I have been trying to find out if there is a car park at the Library, but no joy. Does anyone know if there is one please? Not sure if anyone is going, but Chris and I will be there anyway! :biggrin:

There sure wasn't a car park in my day, Carni. Not many folks had a car then. It was all shank's pony. To use an expression. :-). There was no spare land around there where you could put one either.

• Upvote 1

11am at the Carlton Library tomorrow and 1-1.30pm at The Willowbrook. Looking Forward! I have been trying to find out if there is a car park at the Library, but no joy. Does anyone know if there is one please? Not sure if anyone is going, but Chris and I will be there anyway! :biggrin:

Is this a car park ? It's alongside the library, but almost looks like it's connected to the other building. https://goo.gl/maps/RU9mTeBe1dm

• Upvote 1