The adjacent building did have a car park. I think it was a DHSS building as I went there to sign-on when I left school in early 1973.

They told me that as I was only 16, all that I'd get was supplementary benefit - £3.25 a week. I needed no better incentive to get a job!

There seems be a lot of interest for a suburban library. Is is of architectural interest or what ?

A mini meet-up. I was a bit late for the library talk, so I looked around the library and had some of their coffee and cake, along with Carni, Mr Carni, Sue B 48, and mick2me.

We then went to the Willowbrook and LizzieM arrived a bit later.

She avoided the cultural bit then, and arrived just in time for the imbibing. LOL

• Upvote 2

We thoroughly enjoyed the talk at the Library; it was just as I had hoped. The talk covered part of the Carlton area from the top of the hill down towards Parks Corner, Schools, Churches, 2 Cinema's, and also long lost public houses. Many more points of interest.

Mar Hill Road which had an extra interest to Mick2me, who once lived there and also for me as I had ancestors living there untill around 1911. The brewery on Mar Hill by Watson Fothergill was also pointed out for us, with his distinctive style. Lots of Photo's, many we have already seen, thanks to CliffTon on Nottstalgia.

A pleasure to meet Roy Skellington again after about 56yrs; and even more special that he could well remember SueB and my family from all that time ago. The book written about him titled "The Gentleman Hairdresser of Gedling" had sold out, but we hope to have one from the next print.

And last but not least, it was a pleasure to meet up with Mick, CliffTon, SueB, My Old Man, and Lizzie. We didn't get the chance to meet Pixie, hopefully next time.

• Upvote 4
  • 3 weeks later...

What a pleasant surprise I got today. The phone rang this morning and who should it be but ; Roy Skellington. He had phoned to let me know there had now been some more books recently printed and he had reserved one for SueB and myself as we ordered them whilst at the Library. Great Stuff, I am looking forward to reading his account. Hoping there will be some photo's of The Gedling from my childhood in it, and also trying to guess who the characters might be?

• Upvote 4
  • 2 years later...