• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swans on Loch Watten for PeverilPeril: Loch Watten in December: Loch Watten in summer: Trout (Brown) fishing boats on Loch Watten:

I'm probably not the first to mention this, but wouldn't it be neat if the actress Tuppence Middleton ('Dickensian', 'War & Peace') were to marry the Welsh rugby player Leigh Halfpenny?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in (y)our philosophy. (Hamlet) I would like to think there are large creatures living in deep lochs - there would probably be m

As an alternative to drone taxis; a 500' tower with a lift could be built in Slab Square. Zip wires could radiate out to all parts of Greater Nottinghan. Benjamin could man the Bullwell reception and pick off the shoplifters are they zipped in.

• Upvote 2

Skin's not been changed yet Dave, Mick's lazy, he's waiting for one of us Admins to get fed up and do it for him..... :jumping:

• Upvote 1

Ayup! Now ahv started summat an ah sed a wunt. LOL.

Edited to add. Ahll gu ta top of ahr stairs the wallpaper changed while I was writing this post. Magic int it?

I really like the new blue background. My favourite colour.

Wallpapering in houses of rural Brittany can be quite amusing. To save all the cutting involved, the Breton decorator starts the wallpaper roll at one skirting board and continues up and across the ceiling, then down the opposite wall. We have seen heavily flowered patterns and even jungle scenes where everything is upside down on one wall. They even wallpaper doors and cupboards! Our friends had Black Watch Tartan doors and cupboards when they moved in. We had wallpaper with a stone wall pattern covering a lovely stone wall. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 5

Bought some organic cough medicine the other day. It was in a fair sized box. I got it home and found that in the bottom of the box was a cardboard filler. The bottle was only 2/3 the size of the box. I consider that unethical at best, downright theft by deception at worst. E-mailed 'em and told 'em so. I don't expect a response.

Whadya think?

• Upvote 1

Don't hold your breath LL. That is the same with so many things now. For instance the boxes of Soap Powder that look such good value until you open the box and the top third is fresh air. (Blamed on settling)

I find that kind of thing covers the majority of products we buy these days. One particular trick is the jars of moisturiser for example. When you empty the jar and realise how thick the glass is and extra thick the base of the jar is, not much cream for your money.

They will probably claim that the extra cardboard in the bottom of the box is to stablise the bottle to prevent breakage. Good Luck.

Plastic bottle, Carni. They can't use that one.

As far as I Know Ben, there are no dimples in my bottom, but my neck won't screw round quite that far to see the mirror so who knows?

Frightening thought. Lol. Maybe I should try to take a selfie! Ughhhh!

But seriously. This practice is widespread. What do we do? Start some kind of consumer revolt? It must cost more to produce those fancy dimpled bottles etc. Guess who pays. I suppose the only answer is to refuse to play their game and tell them why.

• Upvote 4

Perfumes, toiletries, cosmetics and some confectionery and medicines are priced totally out of proportion to the cost of the product. It would be conservative to say that the actual product often costs less than 10% of it's point of sale price. My job took me into a lot of plastic packaging companies where machinery, tooling and robots cost hundreds of thousands of pounds. Fancy containers, perfume sprays etc., cost a bomb to produce - then they are just chucked away after a single use. Amazingly these huge costs are dwarfed by the marketing, advertising and distribution with layers of mark up's and commissions paid before it reaches point of sale. And of course the taxes on luxury goods,

So start your own scent factory and use used bottles. Fine fragrantcy's, two bob a throw :cool:

• Upvote 1

We don't use soap powder or detergents anymore Carni, we use one of those laundry gadgets that inject Ozone into the water, clothes come out just as clean.

• Upvote 1

I had never heard of the ozone laundry washing gadgets before. I'm a bit out of touch with these inventions. I have just read up about it on google.It looks very interesting in deed. It seems the ozone system has been used for years in some of the big hotels. Must be good. I'll have another read tomorrow, get more details. Thanks for the tip Ayupmeducks.

Bold and Ariel always made my underpants feel uncomfortable.