Round about 1950 I went with school to see a matinee performance of The Ghost Train, at the old Playhouse on Goldsmith Street, I can remember nothing about the experience, only that I did go there. It must have made an impression on me because I never went to a theatre again. That is, not until last night. Mrs Chulla dragged me kicking and screaming down town the Theatre Royal. I wrapped my arms around every lamp post we past, but she dragged me away and into the dress circle of the theatre to see Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap.

After being used to seeing the inside of the Royal Concert Hall I was pleasantly surprised at the intimacy and cosiness of the Theatre Royal, with the audience's nearness to the stage. I can appreciate why people are addicted to this form of entertainment, but it is not for me, I prefer my drama on screen not on stage. It was an interesting experience but I think it will be another 65 years before I go again. One of the actors was Louis Jamison, one-tine Dr Who girl. Earlier in the week an announcement was made from the stage that Sheila Sim, who had appeared in the original production when it was premiered at the Theatre Royal in October 1952, had died. Quite a co-incidence.

If you want the know who the killer was then scroll down (and please don't tell anyone)

V

V
V
V
V
V

V

V

It was the butler, in the library with a length of lead pipe.

You didn't really think I was going to let the cat out of the bag, did you?

• Upvote 5

Spoil sport Chulla.

Afraid the thought of seating in the Theatre sends me in a panic, so we don't go often unless I do the booking now. I thoroughly enjoy the shows but the last one Chris secretly booked for me was a "You guessed it, The Billy Fury Story". He had to take what seating was left, which was in what I think is called The Gods. I know why! I spent the first half sat staring at the wall, I darn't look down at the stage, it felt as if I would plummet into the abyss below?

I couldn't take it any longer and made my excuses and hung on for dear life as I made my way along the row and to the "Powder Room" I then had to go back? There were two seats at the end of our row and I plonked on one, Chris moved along to me and then I enjoyed what was left, but I still couldn't look straight down!

My niece has bought us tickets for Chicago at The Grand in W-ton. The first thing I looked at was the seating. YES. About six rows back from the stage. Sigh of relief. Mardy Cat! :)

• Upvote 4

We used to go to the Theatre Royal to watch the Panto every Christmas with our lads. It was our tradition, the last treat before going back to school and we all really enjoyed it. The last time we went there to see a show together was to see The Bootleg Beatles. A really good night out; starting with a nice meal at Punchinello's.The show was brilliant but for me, the best bit, it was smashing to see them still enjoying being out with their Mam and Dad.

• Upvote 2

carni, you had nothing to worry about! People have been going in the 'gods' at the Theatre Royal for 150 years now and there's been no recorded instance of anyone falling over the edge yet - not even in the old gallery days of padded bench seats.

But I understand what you mean - I felt like that the first time I went up there back in 1970, when it still was the aforementioned benches. The worst part was standing up for the national anthem which was still played in those days. But after a few visits and I found I still hadn't fallen over the edge I began to realise I wasn't going to and it ceased to bother me.

When I finish working my way through the old football programmes I've been putting on another thread I mean to reproduce some pages and memories from my old theatre programmes on here, which I hope will be of interest.

• Upvote 3

Round about 1950 I went with school to see a matinee performance of The Ghost Train, at the old Playhouse on Goldsmith Street,

When it looked like this ?

goldsmith%20st.jpg

I wonder how many people realise that used to be an earlier version of the Playhouse.

Unfortunately it now looks like this.

goldsmith2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Last time I was in the Royal was for the panto in 74. First trip back to the UK from Canada. Funny, never went there while I lived in Nottingham.

Talking about heights. I went to the Empire a few times as a kid. The height of the gods there used to make me hang on to my seat.

• Upvote 1

I've never used the Theatre Royal much, not for any particular reason. I really like the Playhouse.

Did attend a televised Squeeze gig in the late seventies I think it was. There was a short series of concerts filmed for television, another one being by The Teardrop Explodes which i also attended.

I just thought I would have another look at the seating arrangements for The Grand Theatre at W-ton. Why would anyone book seats in the F band?

For most of our shows we offer six different price bands, A to F, with band A offering the best views. On the plan band A is coloured blue, band B is pink, band C is purple, band D is yellow, band E is green and band F is brown. Please note that due to the shape of the auditorium, all seats towards the sides offer an angled view to the stage, and as a result some action at the rear of the stage may be partially obscured. Band E seats, coloured green, are classed as restricted view; the restriction will be noticeable due to the position of the seat and/or to pillars situated in front of the seat. Band F seats, coloured brown, are classed as severely restricted view; please note that there is little, if any, view of the stage from these seats.

Thanks Merthyr, simon&Garfunkel have a bench on a platform somewhere?

It's Widnes station that has a plaque saying Paul Simon wrote 'Homeward Bound' there while waiting for a train.

I gather there's some doubt over whether it was actually Widnes or somewhere else, but it's Widnes that has the plaque.

If you travel on the direct service from Nottingham to Liverpool you go through Widnes station.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/22/2016 at 7:17 PM, BeestonMick said:

Spanky Van Dyke's? Is that some kind of S&M establishment?

I say, let masochists have a fare crack of the whip!!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...