Not Nottm Now..Then?

I wonder in 2116 will the likes of Nottstalgia people be raving about Burger King on Milton Street or an Apple phone shop on such a street?

Folks in the future will have a forum like this to draw upon,where as we rely on memory,film and maps etc..maybe our today are tomorrow's threads and posts.

Yes, I suppose folks will wax nostalgic over Iphones and Burger King one day. I just have a hard time imagining it.

I have often wished film had been invented a long time ago. In our younger days it was often too expensive to use too much of. I would have taken a lot more photos if I had had the foresight to see how they would be valued today.

• Upvote 1

In the past few days, while clearing the loft, I found lots of photos, have put back together our old 1980s hifi system (analogue amp, record deck, speakers, etc) to play our old LPs, and rediscovered the VHS tapes of our daughter's childhood from the 1990s.

In the next week or two, I'll be making MP3s of the LPs, and burning the VHS tapes onto DVD, to try to preserve them for the future.

The photos need no converting. They're already a record of the past.

• Upvote 3

I guess that there will always be people who wish to remember days of long past - see photos and say yes I was there and be willing to talk about it with others who are like minded. To hear from people you have not heard from or seen for donkeys years. I know I once ran into a old school friend in a chip shop when I was visiting Nottingham and he said how long is it since we met - we both thought - then realised it was when we left school and it was 52 years ago!!!

I think the big trap is when you start to say things like -- "Is it me?"

Best wishes

Peter

I wonder in 2116 will the likes of Nottstalgia people be raving about Burger King on Milton Street or an Apple phone shop on such a street?

If the internet had existed 50 years ago, people then would have been complaining about whatever was around, saying it wasn't as good as it used to be.

People always moan about the present and see the past as some kind of mythical golden age - which it almost certainly wasn't.

• Upvote 5

And permanent welly marks around the legs.

• Upvote 1

People always moan about the present and see the past as some kind of mythical golden age - which it almost certainly wasn't.

Agree that people tend to look back with rose-tinted specs. I suppose it's natural that we do that and probably a healthy thing.

There are some areas where this does apply though. One of them for me is the music industry. Notwithstanding current tastes, compare an industry dominated by Simon Cowell infused, throwaway manufactured material - little of it original in any way either - with the musicianship seen in the past.

Yes there was rubbish in the charts in the 60s and 70s, of course there was, but there were incredible virtuosi spread across countless bands etc. They weren't rare - they were everywhere.

I read a report recently that 'old' records are now actually outselling current material.

• Upvote 1

thinking back to missed dates with girls, not able to inform parents where you were, finding out where your pals had got to whats on with lessons etc. at school. if there was one item i wish was available back fifty years ago it would be the mobile phone, i think an awful lot of peoples lives would have been a lot different

• Upvote 4

People felt a lot safer years ago, kids could play out without fear years ago, GB Inc wasn't oversubscribed to, police & older people received respect, not nowadays.

Swings & roundabouts.

• Upvote 2

They'll STILL have clapped out Imprezzas even then. IMHO, they should all be forcibly crushed..... Oh, and the cars. LOL

• Upvote 1

Never mind Imprezzas, have you ever looked at chavvy names? Just have a Google but here's something I found:

Top ten chav boys names:

1. Callum
  2. Connor
  3. Jack
  4. Daniel
  5. Brandon
  6. Charlie
  7. Kyle
  8. Liam
  9. Jake
  10. Brooklyn

Top ten chav girls names:

1. Chelsea
  2. Courtney
  3. Chardonnay
  4. Aleisha
  5. Casey
  6. Crystal
  7. Jessica
  8. Brooke
  9. Demi
  10. Aisha

Top ten cleverest boys:

1. Alexander
  2. Adam
  3. Christopher
  4. Benjamin
  5. Edward
  6. Matthew
  7. Daniel
  8. James
  9. Harry
  10. William

Top ten cleverest girls:

1. Elisabeth
  2. Charlotte
  3. Emma
  4. Hannah
  5. Rebecca
  6. Abigail
  7. Grace
  8. Alice
  9. Anna
  10. Sophie

Also, don't forget Wayne & Waynetta Slob:waynetta.jpg

• Upvote 1

At least your list is spelt correctly Mick. I bet the registrars almost pee themselves with laughter at some of the ridiculous spellings and concoctions.

• Upvote 1

At least your list is spelt correctly

Apart from "Elisabeth" which I'm not totally comfortable with.

I won't partake of what my grand kids are called, they're not chavvy but, lets' put it this way, new age. We nearly called our boy Daniel but, fortunately for him, it didn't really ring with the surname :unsure:

And, there's not a Mick, Mike or Michael among 'em, does that mean I'm slobfree?

Mick, I think the Michaels (and Margarets) are just old fashioned now, except I worked with some traveller children just a few years ago and there was one called Michael, one Margaret and one Janet (another name no longer in fashion)