Nottingham from above - Oxclose Lane

Nice one Cliff. Thank you for the use of.

1. `Bendigo`s Ring`/Glade hill.

2. Edward`s Lane road over rail bridge. (Daylight visible under it)

3. `Poplars`, a residence during my time but later an infant`s nursery.

4. `The Limes` @ Arnold Rd./Ted`s Ln. junction. The one with the high, Bulwell stone retaining wall and the two vicious chows always barking down at whoever walked around that corner. Today, diagonally opposite, is the Police Station, on the site of a small unofficial tip. Between the tip and the Oxclose pub was a typical three-shop Co-op unit.

5. Scott`s farm, just dairy as far as I know. Used to leave metal milk churns on the pavement @ the Arnold Rd. corner for collection in the mornings.

6. ??? farm, certainly had pigs and probably dairy.

7. ?. Wood, (`Woodies`) Market Gardener. House within the orchard. Various crops including fabulous stawberries, what was left of them anyway, after Bestwood Ben had done nickin `em.

8. Site of future Oxclose Hotel.

9. Yet to be developed site of my primary school, later renamed as `Burford.`

10. Magnificent Ash tree, (teacher sed.) in corner of school grounds. Now gone according to G. Earth Street View.

11. Sherbrooke Terrace, junction of Sherbrooke Rd. and yet to be completed Longmead Drv.

12. Just off map, to its left, site of `Daybrook Vale Farm` not known if still existing at date of this photo. Its access track runs from top of fig.2 to Ed`s Ln.

13. Elm tree, (individual tree at left end of hedgerow) just after the farms etc., were vacated and as the site was being prepared for development, I cut this tree down with a handsaw. Very satisfying for a little kid!

14. Rail over farm access bridge.

15. (Straying onto Bestwood Ben`s territory here!) `Sunrise Hill.` Some images on PTP and other sites appear to confuse this location with Bendigo`s Ring, some even labelling images Sunrise Hill/Bendigo`s Ring as though they are one and the same location. Sunrise Hill, for fairly obvious reasons, was the site of the gun emplacement in WW2.

`X` In my days, there will have been a spring in the vicinity of `X`. I collected good quality watercress from it and took it home. The stream ran down at the side of a hedge to join Oxclose Ln. then followed the dotted line towards the Oxclose pub site. Close to the pub region it will have been culverted as part of the Edward`s Ln. Est., development, to run under Archdale rd., across the field, under the railway arch, passing closely by the Daybrook Vale farm when it existed, the culvert passing under the second field to join the Day Brook in the recreation ground. I believe my younger brother, and others, have explored the whole length of the culvert.

Arrowed is my childhood home on Alderton Road.

Interesting that some feel that the quoted date of photo, (1936 I.I.R.C.) is suspect. Although I have no definite proof, I have anecdotal evidence that the date may well be correct.

I was born 1940. One of my childhood friends, Fred Carcass, lived opposite me and I know him to be about four years older than myself. He was accredited by all of the neighbours that I knew of, as being the first baby born on the Ted`s Ln. Est., which would fit the photo`s date.

Incidentally, anyone know of any Fred or John Carcass, born approx. 1936 and 1938 resp.? The had two sisters as well, Doris and Mary. I`ve never found any trace on Google or elsewhere. Fred and John initially worked at a small printers, early `fifties, on Hucknall Rd., opp. Leonard Ave. Both keen racing cyclists.

• Upvote 2

I know this is the wrong thread but I don`t give a toss.

I have a technical problem with posts, I`ve asked for help before but so far cannot correct the problem.

I compose a post, it looks fine. I paste it into `reply` panel, it then appears, having been totally changed

into one solid block of text. (See #27 above.) This not only makes the writer appear an ignorant prat,

but far more important than that, it is now difficult for readers to use.

It will be a problem with my system at my end, or one with the Nottstalgia site.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thank you Stu:

Yes, have done that but also composed the piece direct into the reply panel. Both methods still suffer the same problem.

When I first experienced it, I wondered if it may be because I typed to the full possible line width in the reply space. So I

tried only using about two thirds of the available width. For a couple of posts, that appeared okay, but the next I tried,

it reverted to the problem again.

On a few previous `offending` posts, I`v used the re-edit facility, corrected everything throughout a post, posted it yet again,

and still it gets reorganised. It happens on the final `Post` operation.

Note that after the botched # 27, the much shorter post, # 28 appears as I intended.

I have a technical problem with posts, I`ve asked for help before but so far cannot correct the problem.

I compose a post, it looks fine. I paste it into `reply` panel, it then appears, having been totally changed

into one solid block of text. (See #27 above.)

The problem with queries like that (and nothing against you !) is that unless we are sitting with you at your computer at the time it happens, it's very difficult to fault-find. Someone watching might immediately say "I can see why it's happening" which couldn't be identified just from your message.

However, I suggest a possible workaround. When you post your message and it has turned into a solid paragraph, immediately hit "Edit" at the bottom of the reply panel and go back into the text and insert paragraph spaces. See if they stick.

And congratulations on annotating my photo. It's not really my area, so you know the locations better than I do.

• Upvote 1

#27 Spikeisland9.............great memory jerker 'Spike'.......Sunrise hill 15, is off Langcroft and I believe it got confused with Bendigo's ring because that's the route we took to get to 'Bendy's' then past what were the Gun enplacements were ,and known to us as the 'Dungeons',.......that's my theory anyway.

Absolutely right Benjamin - but I fear I'm likely to become a bus bore (if I haven't already!!) - at least I recognise the danger ! I may have said this before concerning Hunt & Colleys. My uncle worked at the Ministry of Labour, and had cause to send them a questionnaire requiring the supply of various information about the company. One of the questions was "Main business..." to which the MD replied "Filling in xxxxxy daft government forms!" - Not much changed there then!

• Upvote 1

You'll never be a 'Bore' Stephen,..........i had acouple of mates went to work at 'Hunt/Colleys when we left school,and when i was going home on the 28,6,17 or 18 bus it always stopped right outside and you could see the 'Clocking-in dock,........think the building is still there,have to have a look.

However, I suggest a possible workaround. When you post your message and it has turned into a solid paragraph, immediately hit "Edit" at the bottom of the reply panel and go back into the text and insert paragraph spaces. See if they stick.

Thanks for the input Cliff, I have tried that as per my third paragraph @ # 30, but unfortunately, no joy.

• 1 month later...

The wood at the centre-right is correctly known as Glade Hill. I know that it's locally called "Bendigo's Ring" because I lived on the edge of it. However, that's not correct historically, and that name really belongs to Sunrise Hill, over to the left. There's an in-depth analysis of this at: http://parallax-viewpoint.blogspot.com/2013/11/where-is-bendigos-ring.htmlif anyone is as interested as I was.

My mum and I called Glade Hill the 'blob of jelly' - that's what I named it as a child when we used to view it from my bedroom window on the top third of Woodthorpe Drive! That's what it will always be to me (even though we drove round it a few months ago when we had a trip to the Nottingham area)

The wood at the centre-right is correctly known as Glade Hill. I know that it's locally called "Bendigo's Ring" because I lived on the edge of it. However, that's not correct historically, and that name really belongs to Sunrise Hill, over to the left. There's an in-depth analysis of this at: http://parallax-viewpoint.blogspot.com/2013/11/where-is-bendigos-ring.htmlif anyone is as interested as I was.

My family moved to a then brand new house on Mosswood Crescent in 1962. We always thought that the land where the woods sit was called Glade Hill. Incidentally I went to Glade Hill school on Chippenham Road, which would be sited somewhere to the bottom right, off the photo.

Fascinating picture!

The Poplars in Edward's Lane was indeed a residence, at least it was in the early 1960s The owner's son was in my Wolf Cub pack. (96th Nottm. 'Bendigo's Own'), which started in St Matthews Church next to Padstow School.. I was Senior Sixer and led the 'Tawny' Six. The owner let us use his sizeable back garden, which stretched right to the railway fence, for certain Cub activities, training etc. I did one of my Proficiency Badges there which involved cooking over an open fire. We had no cooking fat for doing eggs and the lady of the house just gave us a half pound pack of best butter. I remember thinking she must be really wealthy to do that.. I'm not 100% but I think the family may have been the Le Marinel's, who owned a garage/car sales co.

If you go hard right from Sunrise Hill (15), near the edge of the pic is what looks like a farm. I'm pretty sure that's Southglade Farm, last occupied by Gervaise ('Jarve') Goddard until the 60s IIRC. There a faint line/track running from the 'farm' towards the top of the pic and a small black mark, which I believe is the old Railway House which stood alongside the crossing over the Leen Valley line from Southglade Rd to Hucknall Rd, near the top of Bulwell Common and where the Gala Bingo now stands. Move left from this point and the prominent white road is I think Kersall Drive, running up and over the Great Central main line to meet Hucknall Rd.

The field to the left of what I think is Southglade Farm is I think the site of the WW2 Prisoner of War camp and this seems borne out by what looks like the small 'spinney, which was at the top of the old camp, between it and the site od Padstow School.

If I recall correctly, Padstow School's badge featured a sunrise pattern which referenced Sunrise Hill.

Col

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My family moved to a then brand new house on Mosswood Crescent in 1962. We always thought that the land where the woods sit was called Glade Hill. Incidentally I went to Glade Hill school on Chippenham Road, which would be sited somewhere to the bottom right, off the photo.

Me too. Glade Hill Infants Sch wasn't build when I got there so I had to spent a few months in Robin Hood. My parents still live on Mosswood.