Hello Rick

I see from your profile you are a member of the RAOB. My dad was too when I was little.I was always fascinated by his coming & going's & the marches he would take me on as a child. He died really quite young & the local RAOB guys came to visit us and brought with them the biggest boxes of new toys for myself & my sisters. They were very generous. But thinking back on it apart being in & working for the community I can't really say I knew much about how they operated & what they actually did, or I assume still do,can you fill me in please?

• 1 year later...

just reading old posts caz and my dad was in the R.A.O.B. royal something of buffalo`s buff`s he used to call it, all top secret and hush hush but i think they did/do a lot of work for charity. he used to wear medals and big dangly things round his neck

Hi Rob T

I think R.A.O.B stands for Royal Antidiluvian Order of the Buffalos....at least I think thats correct. I am sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. My dad must have been in the Meadows/West Bridgeford RAOB but i'm not sure? Where did your dad live Rob?

• 10 months later...

Ayup all,

I was/am a member of the RAOB at the Bulls head in East Leake, used to attend meetings now and again until moving to Lincs. they raise a fair bit of money for charity and do a lot of good work in the locality of the lodge

Rog

I didnt think they were such a secret society.

I used to go to the 'Elk' Lodge, in LA with my dad and friends. Is that the same?

Ayup Rog

My dad was an R.A.O.B man too,not sure where he attended,we lived in The meadows so not sure which would have been the local meet up place,do you have any idea?

Ayup Caz,

Not sure where the "Lodges" were in the Meadows, but they were usually held in the back room or upstairs room of various pubs/clubs for an hour or so per week. Nothing sinister about them at all but a great way of raising money for worthy causes and meeting some really great honest people. On a similar note there is a womens equivelant called the Glades but I don't know anything other than that about them

Rog

I used to go the the R.A.O.B club on Woodborough Road and belonged to the Boundary Lodge. We used to meet up once a week and raise money for good causes, local hospitals etc. A few secret signs and phrases but nothing sinister, it was a good laugh.

Sadly it is not as popular as years ago, it was started by travelling salesmen.

• 10 months later...

Reading this reminded me that in my old Local (when I first moved over here ) was a Buffs lodge, it was held regularly in the upstairs room of the pub, quite a few of our mates were members but when asked what they got up to we were politely told to not be so nosey .We knew it was all harmless, but it didn't stop us getting mischievous and starting our own club which we called the Rhinos (Short for Rhinoceros) We had 'T' shirts printed with F*CK THE BUFFS WE'RE THE RHINOS and a picture of a Rhinoceros in a compromising position with a Buffalo

To be fair it was all taken in good part and we had a few darts/ domino/cribbage evenings with them and many a drink was supped, and a tale told.

I was saddened to here that when a new Landlady moved in she tried to charge them for the room and they moved elsewhere, as did a lot of customers, myself included, the Buffs had been associated with the George and Dragon in Winsford since their first inception!!!!! I don't know if they are still going , because I don't live in that area of town any more but I wish them all the best and thanks for all the good work and the laughs

• 3 weeks later...

Hope to be releasing FULL CHICKEN JACKET this september guys. Will be happy to send copies(signed) to Mick Annie and Caz and anyone else I forgot - its a nicein riot! Cant wait to read it mesen!!!! Bye so, til Ive done and have a great year and dont lose a buncha pals like I did since I left Forest Fields. Cheers! Salut! Salut! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yo Shed!

Do you have a cover pic of the chick?

Send me a JPEG or two, I'll stick it on the front page,

What about a little taster (text)

Nah, I think I might be pushing it a bit there?

Look forward to whatever you got for us?

Cheers.

Mick

• 3 years later...

RAOB you say !...... they are the poor mans Freemasons, bunch of blokes waltzing round throwing salt at each other.....I don't want an invite to join them, thats what I say !!!!

With regard to your salt reference, I would like to draw your attention to this latin quote. Nemo Mortallium omnibus horis sapit, fdreely translated means, No man is at all times wise. hence your post.

I suggest you consult the Buff insatruction booklet or ask a true member of the order before you condemn or suggest use of salt throwing, salt is nothing at all to do with the RAOB. It is obvious that the quotation is a fact for the unenlightened.

Pay no attention to flat cap, Steamman

If you review his posts there is nothing positive.

I remember my mates dad being a member somewhere in the Meadows?

Might have been the Cremorne, but open to correction?

Wasn't the Cremorne on the corner of Bosworth Road and Briar Street Mick??

Ahhhh, now I recall Mick, stopped by there a few times in Summer on my way to work!

I remember it because you went past it on the bus route from Clifton to Nottingham, in the days when Queen's Drive was still the main through road into town from that direction.

I wasn't old enough to be drinking in those days, but I remember it looked like THIS

I was on regular nights for a long while at Clifton Colliery, had a job getting up for day shifts, so requested nights. At that time I lived on Kirke White Street East. Shift started around 11-00pm so set off in good time and during the hot summer nights would often catch up with a workmate or two, drop in there for a quick couple of pints and still be in time for my shift.