Supermarket pricing policies?

Has anyone else noticed that supermarket pricing seems to be very random?

I was in Lidl's the other day and bought a thick white sliced Hovis at 15/-. I then went into Tesco and the very same loaf was 17/9½d. How does this work? That's a whole 2/9½ more than Lidl's for exactly the same item. Many other prices have large differentials too. Carrots are usually about 4/- cheaper in Lidl's as are most other fruit and veg. I realise that Tesco have large roverheads and bigger profit margins but surely, there's no need for such a huge differential in prices.

• Upvote 4

No doubt about it the great 'British' Public were ripped off big time when we went ;Decimal'..........17/9 for a bleddy loaf,who'd have thought ey ?

• Upvote 1

Got some shoe polish yesterday,cost over a Quid,............back in the day Cherry Blossom was 1/- and Kiwi 1/3...........lol.........and you could get em 'Buffed up' in the 'Locarno' for a Tanner...............then Dance all night,

• Upvote 3

Same as different prices in pubs, Wetherspoon or Borlase Warren, same drink massive price difference.

Who absorbs the distribution costs to out of the way towns & villages ? Must cost a small fortune to transport goods all the way up to Bonny Scotland ! hellothere

Could be worse. The bread we buy varies in price between £1.25 and £1.45 a loaf..

Used to be able to go down town and have eleven-teen pints and a bag of chips, and still have change for the bus fare home, for less money!

;)

• Upvote 3

You can't beat Lidls. Superb, cheaper groceries means more wine. Yippee !

I prefer Aldi(each to their own I suppose).Price and Quality excellent but the range is smaller than the big four.

It just means you do the bulk of the shopping there and pick up the odd bits elsewhere.

My daughter is very particular where she shops(M+S and Sainsburys.)but after months of badgering she tried some lines in Aldi and now she does the bulk of her shopping there(especially the wine.)

Too many sulphites in those cheap wines,peppers and veg very reasonable though..and cleaning stuff,cereals and beans etc.fit for the crows!!

No Sainsburys here,used to adore their Country Stuffing. As for pricing here..think of a number and double it!!

Most if not all retail grocery/Supermarket groups i was involved with had different pricing policies in different parts of the country,even in one City prices could be different,...........ie Nottingham prices would be different,....Bulwell cheaper than Bridgford for instance.,and shops like the Coop would charge more in their smaller stores.

Each to their own...... No arguments, or pontificating or even blinding with science !

Re#14 Benjamin, it seems to be the opposite these days. Take petrol for instance. Why is it 1p dearer at Bulwell and Top Valley than it is at Toton or Long Eaton, when the latter two are in more affluent areas.

I've emailed Tesco on a couple of occasions, but other than the usual automated reply..... Nothing!

In Carlton precinct there used to be a quicksave supermarket,I loved it,but it closed down ,I wonder what happened to them?

The other day I was explaining to my daughter how we used to get 240pennies in a £1,now it's a hundred.I know they were too heavy but I still say we were done.