Digging time folks.

Took advantage of a fine, sunny day yesterday and did some weeding and digging of one of my vegetable plots.

I always have serious problems with slugs eating my spuds so this time I am experimenting with beach sand mixed into the soil in an attempt to scare the slimy hooligans off with the salty sand.

I too put Wood ash from the stove on the garden, still seeing slugs and snails though.

I thought Wood Ash was good for the garden? We have a clay soil here.

I have a heavy clay soil and despite over 20yrs of horse pooh and wood ash, still gets swarms of slugs. This year in addition to adding beach sand I am using beer traps. One day I will beat the slippery little sods!

I don't think we can ever beat slugs Compo that's why I never sow seeds directly into the ground.

I know if they come up when I'm not looking the b....ers will get them.

A year or two ago i used Slug Pellits,..........never again...........i felt so guilty seeing all the dead,...........like a battlefield.......

• Upvote 1

Slugs you say?? You haven't seen slugs until you've seen an Australian Tiger slug!! Now THEMS slugs!! Huge critters and the slime is like contact adhesive on your hands, won't wash off with soap and water.

They are even carnivorous, they eat each other!

• Upvote 1

I love the blue pellets od death................. Did you know the little buggers have 4 noses that why they can find your seedlings so easily....

Thought you would NBL...........LOL.

Don't knock you for it NBL...........Its just that i'm such a sensitive soul........at least with Animals including insects and creepy crawlies........not so with some so called Humans....

• Upvote 2

Be careful with that wood ash if you ever burn any treated wood. I heard it can poison the soil.

Haven't had good crops the last several years and I am trying to do everything right. Wonder why? Always used to produce plenty the first few years I got it started.

Treated wood is now all done with a copper chemical Dave, the arsenic preservative has been banned for a few years now.

I'm gong to sink plastic milk bottles near my plants this year to get deep watering, see if that gives me better results. All I have to do is make a "wand" for the hose pipe, either plastic or metal to fill each bottle. Plus tons of mulch to keep weeding to a minimum. Maybe this year will be the year of abundant veggies.

I've several heirloom tomato seeds, heirloom beans both bush and pole, Spanish onions, already started. In fact all seed are heirloom, so I can save seed for next years veggie garden. No GMO's or hybrids.

In summer I go out at the crack of dawn after we have had rain with a carrier bag and a litter picker.

I pick up as many as I can find put them in the bag and in to the dustbin, I leave the bag open so

they can get out if they get on to the inside of the dustbin lid I bang it and they fall back down. I like to think

they go to land fill and live happy ever after.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Nine varieties of tomatoes started, four seedlings of each sprouted.

Black Beauty, a very dark coloured tom.

Sioux.

Chocolate Cherry, a black variety, not as black as Black Beauty, but a nice flavoured cherry to.

Arkansas Tommy Toes, a very small cherry tomato, nice flavour.

Arkansas Traveler. Medium sweet tomato.

Red Cherry, sweet and full flavour cherry tom.

Early Girl, an old favourite.

Those are all Heirloom types, then two hybrids,

Rutgers,

Beefsteak.

I also bought three varieties of hops, which are taking off in large containers until I decide where to grow them in permanent positions.

They are "Willamette" "Cascade" and "Nugget"

Nine varirties of tomatoes..reminded me when we bought this cascina we planted 130 tomato plants. At the end they were coming out of our ears. I made everything with them but they were hard work along with everything else. The following year we only planted 65, still hard work but easier to control and after freezing , making sauces, salads etc the following year we said forget it they give them away in the summer.. The same with fruit there are so many farmers around here they dont know what to do with their produce. You see such a lot of fruit going to waste that they cant pick. Such a shame when you consider 3 rd world countries.

The chickens will get some of the fruit, they love tomatoes.

A couple of years ago I found an heirloom tomato called a Heinz 57. Supposed to be the variety Heinz uses to make ketchup. They produce a nice medium size sweet fruit, and I have saved the seeds and restart them each year.

Sounds like you've got a good start John. Lets hope the weather co-operates.

That's a lot of tomatoes Nonnab. About ten plants is all I can handle though I'm starting some more that I hope to bring in for the winter. We had tomatoes at Christmas a couple of years ago. Its all in the timing.

• Upvote 2