What happend in your life time

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having read the posts from Fynger I'll just state that if Nottstalgia was an info Site only I wouldn't be logging in every day. In fact, I'd rarely log in at all. The previous posts have mostly agreed

While I largely agree with you. There is only so much Nottingham talk you can do. In my case based on a 25 year history. I can only say so much about Netherfield, Carlton, and Gedling along with my

Its great that future generations will learn much about the Nottingham of our day, I had'nt realised that from its inception thats all it was about,its obviously developed into what it is today by the

Nothing much till 2015 then Stu.

Yep....now we have 2

Meaning this site is too much like Facebook in your opinion, Kev? What would you do to change that if so?

I don't think FB will ever do much harm to Nottstalgia. I prefer the camaraderie here. Don't even have, or want a FB account. Why give the govt all your info?

Thoughts on on this.

I have plenty of camararderie with friends on Facebook. Most of them aren't from Nottingham, have no connection whatsoever with the city, unlike yourself, Loppy. They wouldn't be in the right place on a site with this one's remit so therefore Facebook - for all it's ills - performs a service for many of us in helping us keep in touch in a 'community' - just like this one.

People are people - wherever you talk to them online. They aren't governed by the hosting, it's what they say that matters.

• Upvote 2

Not really intending to knock FB Stu although it may have come across that way, sorry.

I'm probably somewhat of an anti social hound.:-)

Nottstalgia has re-united me with a lot of almost forgotten good memories and some of that good old fashioned Nottingham banter that you have to have lived there to really get. Thus my bias.

• Upvote 2

Not at all, Loppy. I'll be the first one to probably criticise Facebook regarding certain aspects of it which are well-documented. My only point is that it can be really useful if one has a lot of friends living at a distance that have disparate interests.

I tweet but not FB, I did but . . .

I don't understand why people want to tell everyone what time they got up, what they had for breakfast, whether or not to wear a hat to go to the market etc. etc. We have a brilliant social network site very close to me, it's called a boozer!

I'm pretty certain I've never shared what I've had for breakfast on Facebook (or on Twitter which is eminently possible too of course!) :)

I've had very similar chats - in essence - to the ones I've had here though.

I'm all for the boozer but that gets a bit awkward if they live 300 miles away - or a continent.

--

Kev - so anything that's not worthy of research shouldn't be mentioned on here?

I take your point, like you, I enjoy the idea of the site being used for it's original purpose and like to talk about historical and nostalgic stuff primarily but the site does fulfill multipurposes for different people. Light chat and humour does keep the site buoyant in my humble opinion.

• Upvote 4

Re#36. Banter is what occurs when people become friendly.

• Upvote 5

I can see Loppylugs point as well as keV and Stu..yes it is a Nottm site,but you become so familiar with the 20 odd core members,I don't think Stu minds hearing that I had buttered kippers for tea..as we share other interests in Hibs,soccer,music and the like.

I suppose Mick when he began this marvelous site..he didn't even think that folks in Georgia or Tipperary would be chatting about the Elbow Cafe or similar. Moderaters and bosses on here should be proud that they have something truly special,it has turned me from a boring old fart....into a knowledgeable boring old fart!!

that gets a bit awkward if they live 300 miles away - or a continent

Yes but what's the need? I lived overseas for a good number of years, there weren't even faxes at the time never mind anti-social sites. I moved in to my house, met some of the locals and blended in with society. I kept in touch with my folks by mail and the odd 'phone call every now and again if I could get one of the lines available, there weren't that many. I'm tech and have always been tech but social sites I just don't get. I have two grandchildren I've never seen so I'm going to Canada in September to see them, that's much better than anything FB can offer.

My opinion of course.

• Upvote 2

Re #40, Now we know. LOL

Yes but what's the need? I lived overseas for a good number of years, there weren't even faxes at the time never mind anti-social sites. I moved in to my house, met some of the locals and blended in with society. I kept in touch with my folks by mail and the odd 'phone call every now and again if I could get one of the lines available, there weren't that many. I'm tech and have always been tech but social sites I just don't get. I have two grandchildren I've never seen so I'm going to Canada in September to see them, that's much better than anything FB can offer.

My opinion of course.

It's fortunate for you that you're able to go to Canada - I also used to for the same purpose when in a position to do so.

It's absolutely fine you not to enjoy or use 'anti-social' sites as you term them - your decision.

i, like everybody else, will make my decision on whether there is a 'need' for them without direction from anyone else.

Its great that future generations will learn much about the Nottingham of our day, I had'nt realised that from its inception thats all it was about,its obviously developed into what it is today by the Postings,and looking back to its early days there were many regulars who would'nt have been to my liking (and more than likely) me to theirs.

However it is what it is today thru its natural evolution,i have learn't much about Nottingham,things i did'nt know i did.'nt know,and love the Historical bits as much as the humour and Banter,which in years to come may well be a thing of the past in fact it will probably be a criminal offence,i reckon alot of folk need to lighten up............there are many really nice people on here,who i'm sure would'nt be on if was all dusty archives,.....and in the reverse if was all silly banter'

Know what i mean init......lol.

• Upvote 8

This site ( ok maybe just my view ), is a mine of Info......And should stay so......It wasn't designed as a "banter" site.....all the waffle folk talk about is not stuff that will need to be archived for research.

While I largely agree with you. There is only so much Nottingham talk you can do. In my case based on a 25 year history. I can only say so much about Netherfield, Carlton, and Gedling along with my dating experiences in the Palais etc. I have to be careful I don't repeat myself and with my memory I probably do!

Should one cease to post after those memories are exhausted?

The "banter" is an inevitable consequence of our varied experiences and constantly adds new interest and points of view. Keeps us coming back. Peoples interest in music, films, hobbies, cars they drive, animals they love etc. is all of interest in the Nottingham of 2016.

If I were a student of Nottingham history 60 years from now I think I would find the interaction between folks of great sociological / historical value. Just as I would find the aerial pictures of the city in the 40s of tremendous value. The banter will not minimize the sites historical value IMHO.

• Upvote 9

If I were a student of Nottingham history 60 years from now I think I would find the interaction between folks of great sociological / historical value. Just as I would find the aerial pictures of the city in the 40s of tremendous value. The banter will not minimize the sites historical value IMHO.

I think this is a very important point and one you've beat me to the punch with. As a sociological insight into Nottingham and it's sons and daughters of the current times it will be invaluable and fascinating. People in many years time (Hi, if you're reading this!) will be able to understand what people found interesting, laughed at, were angry about, cared about - all of these things.

What goes on in people's minds is as important as the many landmark happenings in the town and county with our buildings, roads, railways, industry, sport and leisure etc. It's people's reactions to these things that will prove as fascinating as anything.

• Upvote 7

Having read the posts from Fynger I'll just state that if Nottstalgia was an info Site only I wouldn't be logging in every day. In fact, I'd rarely log in at all. The previous posts have mostly agreed that they enjoy reading the historical topics on Nottstalgia but have also enjoyed the banter and friendship that has evolved between it's Members, many who live in other countries around the World.

When I've looked at the old photos of people standing outside their homes I've often wondered what their lives were like, what they were thinking and what aspirations they had. Many years from now, people will come onto Nottstalgia and read about our lives, read what we are thinking and what aspirations we have. They'll laugh at our banter and warm to the friendship between most of the Nottstalgians. Mixed in with the banter is everyone recalling their lives in Nottingham, the clubs, music, their schooldays and lots, lots more. Stuff that keeps us logging in everyday. It's also a fact that we're a nosy lot and don't want to miss owt. :biggrin:

• Upvote 10

Well said Michael.......facts are important but think back to schooldays when learning facts was boring, teachers were boring and going to the library to research for exams a chore born out of necessity .....

Children today learn from creativity, worldly experiences , different cultures and more importantly banter .........sometimes the most useless of information becomes the most useful, certainly in times of sadness, unhappiness and confusion......

• Upvote 7