Traffic Lights In Notts.

Remove the lot. That ones at the new Hucknall Rd roundabout are ridiculous. One person stops the traffic in at least four directions. Ludicrous.

The biggest disruption is caused by pedestrian-morons who press the Green Man button without noticing there is no traffic anyway; so they march straight across a clear road. Then when they've crossed and the traffic arrives, the lights are on red - for no-one.

• Upvote 3

Don't know about Notts but here the "fix" for all traffic flow problems is always another set of lights. I am sure all the traffic planners here travel to work on the trains or trams and therefore do not have to experience their efforts.

I am sure that there is a traffic light plantation somewhere in the hills where they grow the little lightlets until they are full size and then plant them out at intersections.

• 1 month later...

Having experience "right on red" in Canada, perhaps we should have "left on red" here. It would certainly be a lot better than sitting at a red light when there is no traffic.

There again, what would they do without the revenue from red light cameras?

• 3 years later...

Dozy layabouts and professional protesters. Plus the deluded do gooders. 

In town myself soon, so they're going to get a few verbals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Where do all these layabouts/rent a mob come from, why aren't they doing a proper day's work? Apparently they want all carbon emissions banned by 2025. Do they realise how much Co2 would be generated in providing the infrastructure for an emission free world; not that it would be achievable anyway.

'Capitalist production, environmental destruction.' So it's back to living in caves - oh no, we couldn't light a fire to cook our lentils!

• Like 3

They don't seem to understand basic human psychology.

How to win friends, influence people and get them on your side. Stand in the middle of the road and block anyone going about their normal business. I'll bet they're getting a lot of converts to their cause.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

How to win friends, influence people and get them on your side.

They don't need to CT and that is not their intention, they don't care if you agree or not. What they are doing is causing as much havoc and disruption as they can to try and force the authorities to take action. Direct action, civil disobedience, call it what you will, has a long history and if properly organised is a powerful weapon. It's working in France ( Gilets jaunes), it worked for the suffragettes, it worked in Tunisia and started the Arab spring.

I don't necessarily agree with them and caught in one their little episodes I've no doubt I would be as vociferous as the next in my condemnation. I would however resist any move to ban all protests outright.

• Like 1

I wonder how many of them realize how much CO2 makes up our atmosphere?? And what happens when CO2 increases by a small amount?? And what would happen if CO2 was removed from our atmosphere?

Water vapour is a far worse enemy, I'd like to see them eliminate that...LOL

Now have they really put much thought into what life would be like without electricity?? Take their cell phones off of them and their electric cars, how are we going to feed ourselves when the farmers are forced to use horses once more instead of 300HP tractors???

These eviroterrorists are their own worse enemy, incapable of thinking, and acting stupid, actually totally brainwashed.

• Like 2

The only protest I’ve ever been on was in the Market Square in 1959. There was a big turn out to force the council to reinstate Capt. Popkess, the chief constable,  who was suspended by the council for daring to investigate their dubious affairs.

Whatever you feel about their methods, their basic argument is spot on. I also don't see climate change or the looming environmental disaster as 'Their Cause'.  It should be Our Cause.  We're all trapped on the same planet.

We are killing our planet and the main culprits are major industries, involved in burning fossil fuels, felling rain forests etc.  We've known about this for decades and done next to nothing to change things. Also, recent decades have seen massive industrialisation in China, India etc.  We have no right to expect them not to do so.. we did so a century or more ago, but we must act to limit CO2 and other harmful emissions.

I find David Attenboro rather anoying.. but I will be watching this..  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47666007

Meanwhile.. our 'so called' environment minister is busily planning to do away with environmental protection legislation when (if?) we leave the EU, because it is in his words 'Anti business'.  It is exactly this 'business is God' attitude which fuels the current lunacy and drives the likes of Trump to adopt moronic 'Climate Change Denier' positions.

Was talking to an American chap on the beach in Cancun.  He told me he'd been visiting the place for years and had noticed that the water now comes much higher up the beach.. If he's right.. that is very scary..

Climate change has been going on for millions of years, way before humans arrived on this planet. There have been times in the distant past, when oceans were much higher and lower than today, it's a natural fact of life. The more CO2, which is a minute portion of our atmosphere, the fast plant growth.

The earth is in balance with itself.

My advice to all those who fear CO2, is plant a tree, they thrive on CO2, they will thank you by producing oxygen, I've planted many trees over the last few years, two nut trees to go in today in fact, and still working out where I'll plant two weeping willows.

• Like 1

Ayup.  We all know that climate change has been natural, but that doesn't mean we aren't accellerating it by our actions.  Your argument implies we can do as we like and the Earth will just 'soak it up'. I think the loss of species, melting of the ice caps, plastic filled seas and polluted cities clearly show that we cannot carry on as we are.

And how much litter are they going to leave behind for someone else to pick up and dispose of

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's quite a popular complaint that big business is polluting the planet and it is, BUT there is plenty of evidence (EPA et al) that vehicles produce 75% of CO in the atmosphere and anywhere between 50 and 90% of greenhouse gasses.

So all those wishing to give up travelling please join the queue over....... Oh there isn't one...

• Like 1