What a hero he was for us.

Good on him...........wish i was still playing,really miss it.........whats this walking football all about for us 'ode uns' ? anyone up for a Nottstalgia XI ?....LOL.

• Upvote 1

Stewy was a super hero in my eyes but Kenny Burns is my all time favourite.

I don't wish I was playing now but I had great times. My footy career finished early, birds, booze and bifta's put an end to that :glare:

Yep if you need a flying right winger (No.7 please) or an almost un-useable right back I'm your boy, left leg (barely) standing room only.

.........whats this walking football all about for us 'ode uns' ?

It's great fun! I play once a week at Merthyr Town where we have sessions for the over-55s - ages range from 55 to some in their 70s.

I wouldn't last five minutes running about, but we play 25 minutes each way and could easily manage more. Not being allowed to run takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very good exercise plus we have a real laugh while at the same time taking the game seriously.

We usually play six, seven or eight-a-side depending on how many turn up. The game takes place on about a quarter of the full pitch and we have small-size goals. We don't bother with offside, and it's a kick-in instead of a throw-in, but otherwise it's like the 'real thing' with heading allowed and no restriction on the ball going in the air unlike in indoor five-a-side games.

Here's some of us old fools:

Walking20Football2022.1.15202_zpsm0mmpyr

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that Mick,i'm in the process of picking the Nottstalgia team........you def. make a good right winger,....i'd imagine you were fast and had alot to say when you got hacked down in the box...........plus ive got Crankypig in goal.....you had to be mad to be a keeper.....lol.

Bleddy hell Lizzie,arguing already............i had you down as' Ball winning midfield artist'.............

Haha! I hadn't updated posts on the thread and hadn't realised you'd already told Margie she could be the wet sponge person.

If I'm playing I want to use my speed-walking on the wing, I'm not big enough to be a midfielder.

• Upvote 1

OK then........but if i'm going to manage this team i don't want a lot of Temprementals,...........

Team building nicely..........so far we have Crankypig in goal,........two wingers Mick and Lizzie and a Physio....and Merthyr who has'nt decided on his position yet..........

Thanks Carnie i was going to interview for that job,........but if you want it its yours,.........Biscuits as well ?

• Upvote 1

I play once a week at Merthyr Town

Really, I'm only down the road. I'd offer to pop up and give some support but you'd try to recruit me. In any case, it looks like I'll be getting a contract offer with NFC (Nottstalgia FC)

If I'm playing I want to use my speed-walking on the wing, I'm not big enough to be a midfielder.

It's not if, it's how when and as long as it's not on MY wing, there's enough of us there already :laugh:

. . . or bring on the half time oranges?

Will there be a Mars bar option? I have a high metabolic rate, just sitting here thinking I'm burning a cream egg an hour.

• Upvote 1

Stu and carni - if you run a free kick is awarded to the other side.

You could put me down as right back, but we tend to play Total Football and anyone is likely to turn up in anywhere on the pitch.

BeestonMick - it's 10am every Thursday at Penydarren Park and you'd be very welcome. You could always act as ball boy.

• Upvote 1

You could always act as ball boy.

I can act as almost anything but ball boy? I don't have to act, I'm a natural :biggrin:

I'm still working so Thursdays are pretty much out of the question but come August 26th, new season, I'm there!!

• Upvote 1