Talking to a couple of blokes in their 70's in Bulwell this morning,i detected neither had a local accent,turned out one was originally Norfolk and the other a Londoner,both had lived in Nottingham over 40 years,

Got me thinking,just where are we Nottstalgians really from,i was born here and have to go back to Greatgrand parents to lose my Nottingham roots,in my case it was Liverpool and Sheffield.........just wondered wheree you all from originally ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Born in the Firs, courtesy of Dr Cochrane. I met him many many years later and slapped his backside. I never forget. * My mother was born near Canning Circus, my father in Hyson Green, as was my gra

mercurydancer, I think many of us of a certain age have heard of Dr Cochrane. I know that he played a big part in my Mother's difficult pregnancies and I suppose I have a lot to be thankful for, other

Other than knowing that my birth mother came from Norton St, and nobody knowing who my father was, I've always reckoned him to be a Nottingham chap . I support Forest, like good beer, have good taste

I was born in a house on Hereford Road, Woodthorpe, which backed on to a railway in a cutting. When I was a few months old we moved to a house more than halfway up Woodthorpe Drive, which was my official home until I married I suppose. My parents were from villages in North Notts (Saundby and Misterton)

I know Saundby and Misterton Margie,...........did a bit of security up there,..............and had a Lada' that blew up in Everton............

• Upvote 1

Actually born in Mansfield. (Don't tell anybody). It was wartime 1944 and I suppose for some reason they sent me mam to the Mansfield hospital. Soon moved into Netherfield though, which is where I grew up. I wish I'd have asked her more about it now, but you know how it is.

Both my Grandads told me where there Dads were from IE Liverpool and Sheffield,...........just wish i'd asked them so much more.........

Both my Grandads told me where there Dads were from IE Liverpool and Sheffield,...........just wish i'd asked them so much more.........

We never seem to ask enough questions do we? How I wish I could do that now with my parents.

My dad and his side of the family were from Edinburgh, my mum and her lineage from Hucknall and going back a good way, Ireland.

• Upvote 1

Maternal grandparents were from Coston in Leics and North Wheatley, Notts. Paternal grandparents were Nottingham [but Leics/Isle of Man way back] and Worcs. Parents born Basford and Sneinton.

• Upvote 1

Born at the Firs in Woodthorpe, then 'home', new born, to digs near the Metropole cinema, then to grans on Highbury Vale, then to our own Saxondale Drive house in 1947. I think dad's side came from Sheffield and Lincoln, and mum's from Derby. Like Stu and Benjamin, I wish I had taken a greater interest.

Interesting Jim,my Grandparents lived on Saxondale drive,from the 30s to 90s............spent alot of time growing up there............

Born within a spit from Auld Reekie Stu,lucky man!!

Dad born in Mansfield.. Clumber st...then Nottm rd ( Langtry Grove)..then Skynner st.NG14bp?

Mother Bloomsgrove St.Raddo thru & thru!!

I was the only one born in hospital.. they threw away the mould in Nov.'61!!

Mam from Sneinton then moved to her sister`s house in Goodhead Street, the Medders - next door to Dad`s family.

They met - and the rest is family history.

Both sides are from Nottingham way back to the Great-greats.

Paternal side are all Carlton people; traced back at least four generations.

Maternal side; Mansfield Woodhouse. Then Nottm, Haydn Road ending up at Vicarage St

Little old me born Carlton. Not sure if it was in the house (Grandparents House) on Chatsworth Ave or Peel Street Hospital?