264 Woodborough Road.

My Mothers, Fathers parents were born at Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, but the family seems to originate from Suffolk. They came to Nottingham for a better standard of living in the early 1880's. My Mothers, mothers parents are all Radford or Hyson Green as far back as you like. My Fathers parentage - well what can I say. My Fathers mothers parentage all seems to be Nottingham most likely Basford. My Fathers Fathers parentage is where the scandal sets in. The Harvey's seem to originate from Newark, but as my family name *should* be Cumberpatch, that family is well documented but as for the Nottingham connection to it, they came up from Moulton, Northants in the early 1880's, again for a better standard of living.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Born in the Firs, courtesy of Dr Cochrane. I met him many many years later and slapped his backside. I never forget. * My mother was born near Canning Circus, my father in Hyson Green, as was my gra

mercurydancer, I think many of us of a certain age have heard of Dr Cochrane. I know that he played a big part in my Mother's difficult pregnancies and I suppose I have a lot to be thankful for, other

Other than knowing that my birth mother came from Norton St, and nobody knowing who my father was, I've always reckoned him to be a Nottingham chap . I support Forest, like good beer, have good taste

Other than knowing that my birth mother came from Norton St, and nobody knowing who my father was, I've always reckoned him to be a Nottingham chap . I support Forest, like good beer, have good taste in the finer things in life, enjoy good music, and am a complete gentleman, especially in the company of a lady. Oh, and I'm always right...... There, dad must have been a Nottingham fellow.

• Upvote 3

Malcolm... so your great grandparents came from Waterbeach - that's just a few miles from us. Do you know which street?

Katyjay, if your grandparents lived in North Wheatley, they would almost certainly have known my maternal grandparents and possibly my mum and her siblings. The family lived at Saundby Park farm from 1887 - 1938 (mum was born in 1902) and in those days everyone in all the surrounding villages seemed to know each other, according to my mum. The villages were obviously much smaller than they are now. I have heard her speak of going to Wheatley...

I was born in hospital in Nottingham. My parents lived in a rented flat on Sneinton Dale. Mum went to hospital to have me and while she was there dad got a letter offering them the council house in Bilborough. The time scale for accepting and moving in was very short. As he worked nights he had the day to do all the business organization for the move. My mum said he had it all organized down to the last detail so she came out of hospital with me and went straight to their new home in Bilborough. My dad was born in Moorland Street in Sneinton and thanks to Nottstalgia members I now have more information about the area and photos. The family moved to Port Arthur Road and there grandmother died of TB when dad was 5. Dad was fostered for a time by a family in Netherfield and I believe they were called Cahill (I have the children's book they gave him) and he loved them. As many of you have said in your posts, I wish I had asked him more about this. Grandfather remarried and they moved to Harrington Drive. His stepmother was dreadful and so dad went back to Sneinton to live with the family of some of his workmates. He was very happy in Sneinton.

Before 1900 my ancestors were very mobile and it was all about work. Mum's dad went to America, did not like it and came back. A good thing too as he met my grandmother then! My ancestors lived in various parts of Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Norfolk and London. This makes lots of nice places to visit to look for where they lived, where they were christened and where they worked.

I was born in Firs Maternity Hospital. My Dad was a Lenton lad and Mum a Medders gel.

Dad's father was born in Lenton but his parents were from Derbyshire. His Mother born in Grimsby where her father was in the timber trade, although he was from Nottingham, that Great Grandad being a Lace Worker.

Mum's Mother was from Hucknall and her Father was from Sneinton.

Maternal great-grandparents were from further afield ....... One from Binbrook, Lincs and the other from Tywyn, N Wales.

I'm about the only member of the family that's moved around a bit, having spent half my life in Beds, Bucks and Herts.

• Upvote 1

My Mum was from Sneinton and my Dad from Basford. Mum's fathers family were originally from Hasland, Derbys, but moved to the Farnsfield/Caunton area. My Great Grandfather on that side married a lady from Nairn. Have traced my Dad's side to Staffs- various places around Stoke. They moved to Nottm in the 1880's

Margie, granddad was born there along with a bunch of siblings, in N. Wheatley, there is also a S. Wheatley. He left to get married [1910] and didn't live there any more. The family were farm labourers, his mother a dressmaker. [from Shaftesbury]

• Upvote 1

I can put in a shout for North Wheatley too . My great -grandmother was born there . So any Denbys or Whitlams from there , maybe related .

Also have strong connections to Southwell and Morton on my dads side before they ended up in Carlton .

My mums maternal line was from Strubby near Skeg and her paternal side originally from Ruddington before settling in Carlton .

The name is the answer.

My mum was born in Lenton but lived most of her pre-married life in Radford; and my dad was born in Basford but lived most of his pre-married life in Lenton. They got married and lived at newly-built Clifton.

Katyjay, my maternal grandparents were called Selby. Apparently, Saundby Park farm was quite big and they employed several people to work on the farm so there may have been a connection somewhere there...... but we'll never know, will we!

DavidW, depending on when your ancestors lived in N Wheatley, maybe my lot knew your lot, too. I seem to remember my mum speaking of going to dances in Wheatley, presumably in the village hall or something.

Wish I could go back in time and be an observer .....

I was born Highbury Vale hospital in 1949.

Mother born Guthrie Street Radford 1929 (still with us & living in Wales)

Father born Dulwich Road Radford 1926(died 1992)

Maternal grandparents Gate Street Radford Woodhouse 1887 next door to each other & only days apart (both died 1975)

Paternal Grandparents only know grandfather Basford around 1900 (died 1974 )

But I think Grandmother came from Somercotes.

I find it interesting when a casual conversation with a semi-stranger turns into a conection,as it did for me this morning #1,the chap from Norfolk it turned out was a friend of someone in a place called Poringland just outside Norwich,.........and i played Snooker with him in the 80s...........in Norwich.

• Upvote 1

Not lived in Nottingham since December 1967

But with recent visits over the last five years or so & with my collection of maps & books know the city(mainly the centre) better than when I lived there.

Never actually lived in the centre, living in Carlton & Gedling.

Maternal and Paternal Grandparents were from Carlton.

I entered the world at a maternity hospital in Nottingham and spent first months in a flat on Woodborough Rd.

Then moved up the road into Alexandra Park..........

Born in the Firs, courtesy of Dr Cochrane. I met him many many years later and slapped his backside. I never forget. *

My mother was born near Canning Circus, my father in Hyson Green, as was my grandmother. My paternal grandfather was originally from Burton on Trent. Maternal grandmother was from Wales. Eventually most of my family conglomerated to live in Hyson Green.

*He laughed like a drain when I did it. A lovely man.

I hold to the theory that every Nottstalgian has been in the same place at the same time as any other Nottstalgian. We may not have known each other, as schoolfriends or work colleagues, but I am sure that all of us have been in the same playground at the same time, in the same hospital, at the same pub, same bar, same nightclub, same train, same barracks. I wonder if this theory has been tested.

• Upvote 7

Malcolm... so your great grandparents came from Waterbeach - that's just a few miles from us. Do you know which street?

The family name was Cropley. My G Grandfather was William John Cropley. There was more than one of them came to Nottingham in the early 1880's. I know William's sister Florence and I believe another Brother. They were farm labourers who 'bettered' themselves by getting work at Babbington Pit! I won't know Williams address until I get his birth certificate. Prior to them moving to Nottingham I have them at Lidgate Village in Suffolk. I suppose they had to go where there was tayters to be dug up!

• Upvote 1

Born in Caythorpe, Lincolnshire. My mother was from a Caythorpe family (although actually born in Ollerton) and my father from Leadenham, the next village but one.

Spent what's still the largest part of my life in Nottingham until moving to South Wales 18 years ago.

Born in the Firs, courtesy of Dr Cochrane. I met him many many years later and slapped his backside. I never forget. *My mother was born near Canning Circus, my father in Hyson Green, as was my grandmother. My paternal grandfather was originally from Burton on Trent. Maternal grandmother was from Wales. Eventually most of my family conglomerated to live in Hyson Green.*He laughed like a drain when I did it. A lovely man.I hold to the theory that every Nottstalgian has been in the same place at the same time as any other Nottstalgian. We may not have known each other, as schoolfriends or work colleagues, but I am sure that all of us have been in the same playground at the same time, in the same hospital, at the same pub, same bar, same nightclub, same train, same barracks. I wonder if this theory has been tested.

mercurydancer, I think many of us of a certain age have heard of Dr Cochrane. I know that he played a big part in my Mother's difficult pregnancies and I suppose I have a lot to be thankful for, otherwise I may not be here now!

• Upvote 5

Dad's side came from Derbyshire. Berresfords from Crich, via Unstone Green in Chesterfield and then Bestwood Colliery from around 1870. 4 generations in Park Road Bestwood Colliery.

Mum's side came from Nottm mostly but there's also a Derby connection, as it seems my great, great grandad, William Whyman was a lock keeper on the Derby canal at Borrowash from around 1845 to 1895 ish.

So it seems we sort of sneaked in....

Col

DavidW, my grandfather was a Whitlam, it was a large family. He was Evelyn Ethelbert, born around 1880 [don't have my info with me at this house]

Both sides of the family from Radford. I was born at 4 Clayton Square Radford.

Somebody mentioned barracks, Winchester Barracks, 1959...1961 Spandau Barracks, 1961..1962 Berlin, Roman Barracks, Colchester....1962...1964

• Upvote 1