• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Born in the Firs, courtesy of Dr Cochrane. I met him many many years later and slapped his backside. I never forget. * My mother was born near Canning Circus, my father in Hyson Green, as was my gra

mercurydancer, I think many of us of a certain age have heard of Dr Cochrane. I know that he played a big part in my Mother's difficult pregnancies and I suppose I have a lot to be thankful for, other

Other than knowing that my birth mother came from Norton St, and nobody knowing who my father was, I've always reckoned him to be a Nottingham chap . I support Forest, like good beer, have good taste

Katyjay, my Whitlam connection was a Harriet Whitlam who married William Denby in 1852 .

There were some notable people born in The Firs. Apart from Lizzie there was me and my daughter.

• Upvote 2

David and Katyjay, do you think you may be sort-of cousins several times removed? Amazing if you are! Although if you go far enough back, I suppose we may all be related to each other in some way.

Katyjay , we did converse ages ago about the Whitlams and don't think we found a direct link . Just rechecked and Harriet Whitlam was the daughter of William Whitlam and Harriet Needham born in South Leverton in 1823 .

Someone once told me the name was originally De Whytelom !

Both sides of the family from Radford. I was born at 4 Clayton Square Radford.

Somebody mentioned barracks, Winchester Barracks, 1959...1961 Spandau Barracks, 1961..1962 Berlin, Roman Barracks, Colchester....1962...1964

You might be pleased to know there was a sixties Liverpool band who based their whole image around your birthplace.. ;)

Col

• Upvote 1

Born on Leybourne drive,Bestwood est,.......Dad born next door to the Park Tavern on Southwark st Basford,his Dad also Old Basford and his Dad Liverpool.

Mum came from the Medders and moved to Ruddington just before the war, Her parents came from St Anns, though I believe her Mum's family (The Kirkhams)originally hailed fro Scotland.

Dad was born at home on Charles Street in Hucknall, though his Mum's side (The Devonshires) originally came from Ireland.

Mum and Dad met at Co-Op'all, married and lived at first on Hanson Crescent in Hucknall which was built by my granddad.

I was born at St Idloes Nursing home on Baker Street in Nottingham (which was named after one of my ancestors but I don't know who.) So I'm told.

My Nottingham life is very short. I came to Nottingham when I was 5 . Mum is from Barrow in Furness, her father was born there.His father died and mother remarried and produced another family , his only blood brother died in early life. Went further back and all were born in Barrow. Grandmother was born in Greenock and so were all her ancestors.

Dad was born in Millom Cumberland ,his parents lived in Ulveston after the youngest child was born. ( The birth place of Stan Laurel of Laurel and Hardy fame )

Paternal Grandfather was Scottish from Prestwick . His mother and father were also from around that area but moved around fairly frequently according to records. Grandmother was from Cornwall and has a very interesting history and goes back to 1670's

G grandfather was illegitimate so although I have his birth certificate I was only able to get his parents. G grandmother married eventually and gained the now family name which came from Ireland. He died after being married only 9 years and she married again and bought us into another family. A bit complicated to follow ancestry wise .

I was born in Broxtowe and lived there until I got married in 1972. Moved around a bit but always lived in Nottingham.

My dad was from Kimberley and my mum from Pinchbeck in Lincs.

• 3 weeks later...

I was born on Leybourne Drive Benjamin. 1947. Lived near the bus terminus. Nent door neighbours...... Mr & mrs Brown & Mr & Mrs King lived few doors away & as I am a twin Mrs King used to help mum get the twin pram down the steps for ten bob a time! Neadless to say mum & dad moved to a house wilh no steps & saved her ten bobs!

DAT 47,.................I Was born between Hove rd and Eardley at an Aunts,my Grandparents (jackson) lived at 126,the ones i remember from near the Bus terminas were, Leatherlands,Joyce's,Websters and another Uncle 'Barnes'.....in 1947 we moved to Andover rd,but growing up i was always at Grandma's on Leybourne.

• Upvote 1

I was born in Nottingham (Highbury Vale hospital so I'm told) and both parents were also Nottinghamians. Mum was born at home in Windmill Lane but soon moved to the Bilborough/Aspley area. Dad was from Woodthorpe (Melbury Road). My family moved to Mapperley from Beeston soon after I was born which is where (bar a few travels!) I find myself still.

Did your dad go to Arno Vale school - if he did, he MAY have been there at the same time as me (my kids are about the same age as you)

• Upvote 2

Me mam from Carlton.dad from Carlton. Lived in Carlton for first 9 years of my life.

Me mums mam ( my grandma) from Carlton. My mums dad ( my grandad ) from Carlton.

Me dads mum ( never met died befor I was born ) from Carlton brooks family...me dads dad( also never met as also died befor i was born) from Liverpool lime street I ve heard.

Did your dad go to Arno Vale school - if he did, he MAY have been there at the same time as me (my kids are about the same age as you)

Hi Margie. I guess he did. Truth to tell, he wasn't the best dad in the world and left us quite early on. He was Peter William Lloyd. He had older brothers David and Gordon and a sister, Ruth.

How old would your dad be now? That might show whether he or his siblings were in my year... I can't remember a lot of the boys I went to school with but there is another member of Nottstalgia (male) who was there at the same time as me who might...

I used to go to ballet classes with a girl who lived on Melbury Road. She was called Marian. Some of the houses on the top of that road looked unusual - they had flat roofs and curved fronts, but they're not there anymore