I was born at home in Lenton Abbey estate near Derby road.

I grew up in Mapperley and went to Hazel Grove junior then Gedling schools.

Lived in Mapperley till I got married then moved to a rental house in Hyson Green (Gladstone street) then we bought our first home in Carlton on Perlethorpe ave just off Westdale, few years there then bought our 2nd house in the nurseries estate further up westdale lane where we lived for 17 odd years till our migration to Oz.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Born in the Firs, courtesy of Dr Cochrane. I met him many many years later and slapped his backside. I never forget. * My mother was born near Canning Circus, my father in Hyson Green, as was my gra

mercurydancer, I think many of us of a certain age have heard of Dr Cochrane. I know that he played a big part in my Mother's difficult pregnancies and I suppose I have a lot to be thankful for, other

Other than knowing that my birth mother came from Norton St, and nobody knowing who my father was, I've always reckoned him to be a Nottingham chap . I support Forest, like good beer, have good taste

How old would your dad be now? That might show whether he or his siblings were in my year... I can't remember a lot of the boys I went to school with but there is another member of Nottstalgia (male) who was there at the same time as me who might...

I used to go to ballet classes with a girl who lived on Melbury Road. She was called Marian. Some of the houses on the top of that road looked unusual - they had flat roofs and curved fronts, but they're not there anymore

He would be 70 this year and his siblings all in their 70s. They were the Lloyd family at 54 Melbury Road. The house has changed since I used to go there in the 70s and early 80s. Their mother (my granny) died in 1985. After that the house was sold and new people added an extention. By the way, my dad died on Jan 1 2014 but, as I say, he'd left us long before that.

I was born at home in Lenton Abbey estate near Derby road.

I grew up in Mapperley and went to Hazel Grove junior then Gedling schools.

Lived in Mapperley till I got married then moved to a rental house in Hyson Green (Gladstone street) then we bought our first home in Carlton on Perlethorpe ave just off Westdale, few years there then bought our 2nd house in the nurseries estate further up westdale lane where we lived for 17 odd years till our migration to Oz.

By "Hazel Grove Junior" do you mean Mapperley Plains School that made way for an old folks home? Was this an earlier name for it?

Yes when I attended I'm sure it was Hazel Grove junior school, but being a fair old time since then maybe also called Mapperley plains school.

I was there in 1956 till 1959. Then Gedling till 63.

How old would your dad be now? That might show whether he or his siblings were in my year... I can't remember a lot of the boys I went to school with but there is another member of Nottstalgia (male) who was there at the same time as me who might...

I used to go to ballet classes with a girl who lived on Melbury Road. She was called Marian. Some of the houses on the top of that road looked unusual - they had flat roofs and curved fronts, but they're not there anymore

Yes, I remember the name Lloyd at Arno Vale. David, I think, in our year. Can't put a face to him though. Was Marian's surname Fell?

MM. # 78. If your dad went to ArnoVale school then he would have been 3 years younger than me so I probably wouldn't have known him, but one of the older siblings may have been in my year. The name David Lloyd seems very vaguely familiar but that's as far as I can say. Are any of your uncles/auntie still alive and do you still have contact with any of them?

Phil. #80. Yes, it was Marian Fell but I can't remember her at school, only at ballet! So the name David Lloyd was the one I remembered. Do you still have contact with your Uncle David, MapperleyMan?

Margie #82. No I'm afraid not. Our family was always very much the keep to yourself type. As far as I'm aware my father, Peter, is the only one who has died so far though. David was the next brother up (3 years older) so that might make sense of what you are saying. He moved away from Nottingham about 30 years ago. The older siblings Ruth and Gordon had left Nottingham even when I was a child and both have their own families down south.

• Upvote 1

MM thanks for letting me know about your family. It's a pity your Uncle David isn't on Nottstalgia, then we could reminisce about the old school. Of course, he MIGHT be lurking on here or even a member - you never can tell!! I was sorry to read about your Dad leaving home - I hope your life after that wasn't too bad and that you've found happiness now...

• Upvote 1

Born in Nottingham, parents born Nottingham, grandparents Nottingham. We arrived en masse from Heanor and populated New Basford.

At one point in time the families lived on Chelsea Street, Rye Street, Palm Street, Wycliffe Street, Mount Street and Northgate and nearly all working in the lace industry.

Paternal ancestors Carleton Rode Norfolk 1789

Heanor Derbyshire 1794

Maternal ancestors Winterton Lincs 1833

Hambleden Bucks 1839

Beyond that I am advised

22% of my DNA is Scandinavian

34% Western and central European

44% British Isles

Definitely a mongrel. I had the Scandinavian trait as a child being blond, then black hair as a teenager.

I was born at Patchings (Arnold) when it was just cottages and then moved across the road to Ramsdale for a while (went to Sherwood Lodge School aka Seely's). Lived on Salop Street (went to Daybrook Junior before going to Brincliffe Grammar) for about three or four years (age 9-13) then moved to Bestwood for a bit. My mother was born near Derby and my dad in Arnold. Last UK address was Clyde Street (the Medders) before going to Canada (69).

• 7 months later...

Born Highbury Vale , Mam from Hucknal, Victoria St, Dad from Old Basford. Grand parents lived in Highbury Vale. Lived also in Bulwell, Radford, forest Fields, West Bridgford. I think my parents were Romany's! Wish we had spoken more of the past, would have liked to have known a lot more