What was the club over the Coop in Mapperley called?

Only went there once,when i was between marriages in 82 or 83,i had a divorced neighbour who was always crying about his ex wife,so just to be sociable went with him to a 'Divorced' get together there hoping it would cheer him up.

Did'nt work............his ex was there,having a good time Dancing the night away,..........he left in more tears,.......turned out he was always a Cry Baby'...........as she told me on the way back to her place............lol.

• Upvote 8

I have a complete blank in my mind as to where the Co-op in Mapperley was, never mind the club above it!! And I lived near there from 1943 - 1966 (and continued to visit Mum and Dad there until 1981). I hate it when I completely forget things......... Please can someone tell me?

Thankyou for showing/telling me about where the Co-op is - still can't say it's in my OWN memory but the picture helped.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the Pic. Enigma,brings back good memories of my Store Detecting days at the Coop,Mapperley top was always busy for us in the Evenings when the store managers had gone home,leaving in the main Part time ladies to face groups of travelling Shoplifters,........we used to cover on the same night the other coops in the area,Westdale lane and main st Gedling,always had a result,.........and we'd finish with a nice pint in the Vale at Daybrook.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the reminder. I worked for The Nottingham Co-oP as an apprentice/electrician from 1968-1975.

I worked on maintenance at Mapperley and the building of Westdale Lane and Netherfield, where Benj no doubt trapped a few.

The sign in 12 brought back the full name, 'Turner's Banqueting Suite'.

• Upvote 1

Still worried that I can't remember the Co-op in Mapperley. Does anyone know when it opened? I remember that my mum used to do her shopping at one time at a shop (was it a Co-op...) on the corner of Breckhill Road and The Crescent, opposite Littlegreen Road. I remember it had a concrete wall round it which I used to play on while she was shopping

Cliff and Mick, that is definitely where the shop used to be but the time I'm talking about was the late forties/ early fifties. Can't remember if the shop was a Co-op but it was definitely a food shop. As I said, I mostly remember climbing on the small concrete wall, walking round it and jumping off! Nice to see Littlegreen Road - I used to walk down there every day to Arno Vale School. (4 times a day actually as there were no school dinners when I started so I used to walk the 8/10 mile home for my dinner and then back to school again afterwards. Sometimes I had a packed lunch, but not always

• Upvote 1

Only went there once,when i was between marriages in 82 or 83,i had a divorced neighbour who was always crying about his ex wife,so just to be sociable went with him to a 'Divorced' get together there hoping it would cheer him up.

Did'nt work............his ex was there,having a good time Dancing the night away,..........he left in more tears,.......turned out he was always a Cry Baby'...........as she told me on the way back to her place............lol.

"Grab a Granny Night" then eh benjamin :yowza:

• Upvote 4

I used to shop there when I was a young mum, I would walk there with baby in the pram park it outside and

do my shopping.

The rooms above were known then as 'Turners Banqueting Suite'. Graham Marshall did take it over.

​It would be about the time Benjamin used to go to grab a granny night. LOL

• Upvote 4

I, too, used to leave the baby in the pram outside the shop (in Leicester) when I used to go shopping. No-one would choose to do that nowadays, would they!

Not if they've got any sense Margie. I rarely tie our dog up outside a shop.

Years ago a neighbour of ours had their car pinched from the driveway, with baby in it. She was just unloading her groceries while this happened. A happy ending though, car and baby recovered a little while later.

• Upvote 1

Now Kat's Carlton, Mapperley, Arnold & Sherwood Forum

Maybe you could squeeze Carrington and Bakersfield in somewhere as well!

• Upvote 1