What was the club over the Coop in Mapperley called?

The Eagles Corner in Arnold looks cosy for a quick coffee too. I can't for the life of me recollect the original name though.

That's the one Stu, thanks. I was in there having a quiet coffee with a good friend (well my only one really) LOL.

It was certainly an improvement on before. Very enjoyable.

I'm glad to hear of the improvement. It was one of several Arnold pubs that had really taken a nose-dive over the years. Used to be a good place in the days when the Home Brewery had it.

It didn't seem too crowded mid afternoon, which was great when one needs a good natter.

• 3 months later...

Before the current Co-op, I think it was 'Gilbert's Tea gardens" as I have vague memories of a building not unlike the Gedling Colliery cricket pavilion, set back from the road.

What is now an Indian Restaurant, was Marsden's Grocery shop, in the days before supermarkets. same side of the street was Pickerings the Chemists, Dewhirst butchers and I think another butcher's shop on the corner.

What is now the 'plaza' area was Frudd's builders and plumber's yard. Trustee's Savings Bank has been there for ever.

Whoops. Frudds plumbers was further along towards Porchester Rd.... Still a builders yard though where the 'plaza' is.

Best place was Beardsley's Fish & Chips. Still a fish and chip shop.

• 4 months later...

People do still tie their dogs up outside this Co-op. But less people use the Co-op now since the Sainsbury's they built at the top of Breck Hill Road a few years ago is much cheaper for everything they sell. Its news to me that the shop half way down Breck Hill might have once been a Co-op too but I don't go back very far. I walk past there every day as I do my daily circuit of Woodthorpe.

Mapperley Man - I know that there was a biggish shop opposite Littlegreen Road (off Breckhill Road)  because I used to go there with my mum

• Upvote 1

I lived near to St Judes from 67 to77 both of my Daughters were christened  there.

Talking of the Co-op on Mapperly top I once left my baby in her pram outside there

I was a few yards up the road before I realised and ran back to get her. ( I think I

might have mentioned this before ):unsure: 

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

I was at Digby college during 1967-69 and I took my exams in the room above the Mapperley Co-op.  I wonder if it was called Turners at that time? I can't remember.

• 2 weeks later...

the club there has had many incarnations but has been closed a few years now---there have been the northern soul nights, grab a granny as some call them nights and country and western--this last one --I live on gretton road just along from the co-op and remember one night some years ago--many--a couple of blokes walking up the road to the club--must have parked on the road--dressed like proper cowboys, guns etc---and even a blanket roll on their backs...