Not Sure if this should be on the site as it's all about the trade union's. My view Maggie tried to kill of the unions but did not quite succeed. I was reading the Hucknall Dispatch and came across this ---- by writer Ray Bainton and I thought it would be good to share it ,

Sometimes we might be forgiving for believing the modern world is run by the Mafia.

There are many things happening in the UK. over which we may feel powerless to influence.

On Feb 8th the government Trade Union Bill will pass through a further stage in the house of lords.

The bill proposes huge restrictions on peaceful picketing and protest's.

Striking workers will have to tell their employers of all their plans --- including post on facebook --two weeks before they go on strike.

Employers will be able to bring in agency workers to cover the strike.

Other red tape include restrictions on how unions collect and spend their money.

On line voting is good enough for choosing the current Conservative candidate for the London Mayor, but the bill won't allow union members secure online balloting for strike ballots.

Ballots turnouts can be low because of existing restrictions on how the votes can be run.

Large companies use online voting too, to let share holders vote in corporate ballots. So this ballot seems like one easy rule for them and another for workers.

The bill also seeks to prevent union members financially supporting the Labour party. Whilst there are no restrictions on the massive donations made to the Conservatives by big business.

To attack this freedom in the 21st century Britain represents a step backwards, without unions Britain would never have had NHS eight hour day, holidays, pensions, and many other social advantages.

STRIKING MIGHT BE A LAST RESORT BUT IT IS NOT A CRIME.

I have had to take a few bits out as it was quite a long article.

tages.

• Upvote 8

If parliamentary elections were conducted under the same rules it would be impossible for any government to be elected

In the last general election more people didn't vote Tory than did but we have ended up with the most vicious right wing government since the 1930s

Are the same rules going to apply to the employers organisations (CBI for instance) you can bet your life it wont.

It's not the unions that need bringing under control but the banks & other city institutions'

P.S. If Labour had won every seat in Scotland we would would still have a Tory government it's England that's Labours problem not Scotland,

• Upvote 2

I don't think unions had much to do with 8 hour days Mary, the trend started when Henry Ford gave his workforce an 8 hour day five day week, much to the dismay of his fellow business competitors. He also paid a living wage and had a huge waiting list for men wanting a job.

Australia had an 8 hour day years before British workers had it.

But, without strong unions I could never have done my job safely without fear of dismissal both in the UK and Australia. As a colliery electrician, I'd have been coerced to break the law and risked not only my life but those I worked with. One case in particular, a shift Under Manager, a senior official tried to over rule me on a safety matter, I told him straight, if he did, I'd be outside on the phone to the Manager, Mines Inspector and Elec Engineer, he backed down. Had we not had a strong union, I'd have been suspended and or fired.

The last resort of a worker is to withdraw his/her labour, seems governments are doing their best to place the working classes back into the 19th century once more.

• Upvote 6

I was a member of a trade union all my working life (1965 - 2014)

I went on strike once(for one day) when I was a member of ASLE&F in 1969 ("worked to rule once or twice")

I worked at Brush Transformers Loughborough(member of AUEW )1971- 1995 & only "worked to rule" on a couple of occasions.

• Upvote 1

Same here. From my NCB days through all sorts of factory jobs and finally as a NALGO/UNISON rep for years.

Unions didn't cause the World Economic collapse in 2008, neither did Labour for that matter.

AFAIAC, it's time the ordinary people of this country stopped reading Daily Mail rubbish and kow towing to the Tory bullies.

Too many people now identify with the Tories and think that because they own a house etc., they are now part of the club. Trust me, they aren't and the Tory bully boys only need them for their vote.

End of rant.

Col

• Upvote 3

I have been a union member all of my working life and I come from a trade union background. Having been a workplace representative and a local union officer I now deliver training to workplace representatives and case workers. This is TUC training certified by the National Open College. The union gives a service to members, supporting them in individual case work and informing them of employment rights. Many workers are pressured in the workplace, in fear of losing their job and becoming unable to pay their mortgage. Politicians are putting out a "spin" that intimidates younger workers into not joining the union, or admitting to membership. They are discouraged from seeing that the role of the union is to inform and support. I am horrified by the numbers of workers who do not read and understand their contract, check their pay slip and check their pension contributions. We now live in an age where we have to check everything. There have been cases where the employer has deducted pension contributions and then not paid them into the pension scheme. Use of the words "serious fraud" focussed their minds to get it put right. I will not start on equalities issues, sick pay and the Bradford index used in absence management policies! Our workforce needs to be well informed and aware of the pitfalls. Many employers are fine and I do not wish to appear negative but for our workforce, knowledge is power.

Sorry about the rant!

• Upvote 5

Bilborough Shirley.

Never, never, apologise for expressing your legitimate opinion. :)

Col

• Upvote 3

But without the Daily Mail, what will people know how to think?

Especially given the paper's open support for the Blackshirts and Hitler in the 1930s, that the owner is a non-Dom multi-billionaire who pays no tax in this country, and that the company itself is registered in Bermuda for tax purposes.

• Upvote 3

Yes Rob. but it's all for their own good! The little people need someone to tell them how to think!

But without the Daily Mail, what will people know how to think?

Especially given the paper's open support for the Blackshirts and Hitler in the 1930s, that the owner is a non-Dom multi-billionaire who pays no tax in this country, and that the company itself is registered in Bermuda for tax purposes.

Don't forget it is the workers that create most of the wealth in this country & the banks(& the likes of the Mail's owners) that rob us of that wealth.

Although I totally agree with the content of this thread, be aware that discussions of a political nature are actively frowned upon on this site.

This thread is treading very closely to that area.

Just saying.

• Upvote 2

Walking on eggs is the term catfan.

The world changes so much,i was raised in a strong Union family,but when i joined the workforce never really thought much about Unions,just thought get on with it work hard and get rewarded,............however as ive got older ive seen especially in these last 10 years or so,much of the hard working lower paid being badly exploited by greedy employers,and i believe alot is due to larger organisations 'Contracting' work out.

I feel my Union roots surfacing.

• Upvote 2

I May be wrong caftan as my knowledge on todays Education is not really good,.......but I believe that only two schools in Nottingham are still wholly run by the council...........that is Secondary schools).........the rest being Academy's..........can this have owt to do with it ?

Don't think so, my daughter works for a council & a couple of years ago everyone had their pay & conditions re-assessed, some had pay cuts, others a small rise & a few were left unchanged.

This put a lot of fear in to employees, esp when morgages were based on earnings. Some of these mentioned are looking up to 30% cut in wages.

Councils blame the government for these proposed cuts, remember this, someone has to pay.

I would like to say a lot more but wouldn't be allowed.

• 3 months later...

I was a member of a trade union all my working life (1965 - 2014)

I went on strike once(for one day) when I was a member of ASLE&F in 1969 ("worked to rule once or twice")

I worked at Brush Transformers Loughborough(member of AUEW )1971- 1995 & only "worked to rule" on a couple of occasions.

Me too. Union member 1966 to 2015. Am now still a union member here in Oz but in the retired section of the AMWU. Protests, Work to rule, Rallies and Strikes. All a blast but always striving for better conditions and wages for members.

• Upvote 5

The contribution of organising labour through unions has been significant during the late 19th and throughout the majority of the 20th Century.

In the 21st Century the contribution has been diluted along with the means of showing any power.

The pendulum has swung and capital is in the ascendancy, working people must bow under the inevitable burdens of being not particularly important, they are easily replaced and seen to be expendable.

I am sure that nobody on this forum would want excessively rich b****rds not to grow richer at the expense of those who work hard.

Would they?

• Upvote 1

#11 et al, It is not political discussion that is frowned upon. It is the fact that it usually escalates to argument and abusive posts from a minority.

• Upvote 5