Favourite and least Favourite Boozer........Nottingham only

Grew up in Carlton /Mapperley so like Carni and Sue, Grey Goose for good entertainment girls and live music, Carlton Pub, same, good music too and the landlords daughter Sally.

Cavendish pub sometimes, in town we always hit Yates before the clubs, but cannot say it was a favorite. Flying Horse maybe.

Happy memories of me dad in the Five ways on the ring road, he played in the darts team there Wednesday nights.

Never really did the city pub scene and never been a big drinker really, two pints I'm anybody's. Two glasses of vino now is my limit.

• Upvote 2

I am fully with ilam for the Plough. Its the only pub in Nottingham (but not Nottinghamshire) where I am treated like a local. I visit about once a month. The beer is pretty good too, to the point of being exceptional.

Seeing as the limit is for Nottingham only I wont mention the Dixies Arms at Lower Bagthorpe, which is the quintessential local country pub.

In the past - Possibly the Wheatsheaf at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Bridge. Way back even in the ancient history of the 2004 era, it had a cracking Saturday night reggae event with Rassman. I loved those nights. Going back even further it was a lovely pub for summer.

I have always had a weakness for the Trip. I took my step son, who is Russian, to the Trip and he said two things that were very true. One was it was the most unique pub he had ever seen, and secondly he could speak to more customers in Russian that he could in English.

On my last trip (but one) to Nottingham, I had a good wander round and found some pubs that are really up to the mark. The Brewdog pub in Hockley is superb. Its great to see Hockley coming back to its bohemian self and being exciting and different and interesting.

Someone mentioned the Bear and Lace pub. Now I deviate from traditional beer swilling. The Bear and Lace is a rather good cocktail bar. Friendly staff, and very knowledgable about cocktails. Happy hour means that the cocktails are a decent price.

My favourite cocktail bar is now closed, the Opium bar in Lace Market. I loved it. It was so chilled it was like Bryan Ferry riding a polar bear on an arctic ice floe.

• Upvote 2

Favourites

Robin Hood and Little John (Arnold)

The Woodlark (Lambley)

The Falcon (Canning Circus)

The Old Volunteer (Carlton Square)

The Blacks Head (Carlton Square)

Worst pub I've ever been in was the now closed Earl Howe on Carlton Road.

Favourites

Robin Hood and Little John (Arnold)

The Woodlark (Lambley)

If we're moving out of Nottingham a little I'd have to count my favourite as The Woodlark, love the place. Probably equal tops with the Four Bells at Woodborough although quite dissimilar pubs.

The Robin in Arnold is great these days. What a good job they did on it. The fine old place looked dead and buried at one time - never to return. Great stuff

The Old Volunteer (Carlton Square)

The Blacks Head (Carlton Square)

Sorry to be a pedant but both pubs are on Burton Road Carlton

The Old Volunteer is the "brewery tap" for the Flipside Brewery

Yes Stu. I thought the Robin Hood & Little John would never reopen. Another pub back from the brink is the Old Volunteer. It just shows that if the pub owners make an effort, their pubs can still thrive.

I hear good things about the Old Volunteer, David.

The Robin is reputed to be the oldest pub in Arnold (1756 I think). A member of the local history group tells me that he believes there is evidence that shows a prior pub on the same land.

It would have been a travesty to let it die. Thankfully Arnold has a pub to be proud of again.