My mother had her 21st birthday party at The Langham in April 1947. She said it was a lovely place. She loved the shops on Radford Road and Gregory Boulevard. It very much saddened her to see the way the area declined.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great picture Ian I lived on Russell Rd 1961-72. My dad and I used to walk down to the library in the evening around the early 60s. He was an avid reader and always had library books by his bedsi

just a quick question to see how many people on this site are from the green and went to berridge road school in the 1960-70s and any body worked at gerards soap factory our family the martins and se

A concrete jungle. I remember their construction. There were some who liked living there but it struck me as a soulless place. I can't really remember the streets of terraced houses the flats replaced

Certainly do PP! I loved that place. Wanted to be a librarian. I loved the child sized oak tables and the oak chairs with blue leather seats. Remember the bike racks outside, PP?

I loved the entrance with its leaded obscure glass and polished brass handles. Everything was top quality and gleamed with polished care.

I soon exhausted the children's section and borrowed my father's tickets to access the senior library. I can still remember where everything was.  Later on, I discovered Shakespeare Street library! A different level of bliss for this bookworm but the old Hyson Green library will live forever in my memories.   :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A date for the diary. I'm advised by some friends that a talk on Old Hyson Green is being held on 7th December from 10am til noon at The Vine, St Stephen's Church on Bobbers Mill Road. Admission free.

I'd love to go but will be working. Some of our members may be interested.

I was organist at this church for a while in the early 80s and went to Sunday school there as a child. 

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

Which number, Catfan? My great grandparents, William  and Lucy Saunt lived at 120 Birkin Avenue from around 1909 until their deaths in the 30s. The house was just round the corner from Males the butchers. It was demolished in the 70s and new houses built on the site.

CTs photo reminds me of a story told to me by my mother

In December 1947, my maternal grandmother Edith was terminally ill with cancer. Dr Cochrane at the City Hospital did not want her to return home because he was worried that she would suffer tremendous pain which could be controlled far more easily if she stayed in hospital. Grandma wanted to come home and so home she came. However, Dr Cochrane was proved correct and one very dark, cold evening in the middle of December 1947, the pain had grown so bad that my grandfather had to send for Grandma's doctor who, at that time, lived in a house on Bentinck Road. There was very little the doctor could do to help my grandmother other than prescribe morphine to lessen the pain. Those were the days prior to the National Health Service and my mother, who was only 21 and still living at home with her parents, was faced with the choice of returning back to the doctor's house with him to collect the morphine or staying on her own with my grandmother while her father went back to the doctor' house. My mother said that she decided she would go because she was terrified my grandmother might die while there was no one else in the house except mum.

So, my mother went with the doctor in his car back to his house on Bentinck Road where he duly dispensed the bottle of morphine for my grandmother and, having collected it, my mother had to walk all the way down Radford Road, which is the part shown in the photograph, and then turn left along Gregory Boulevard and back to Bobbers Mill Road at something like 2 o'clock in the morning. She told me that it seemed like an interminable journey because half of her was afraid to go home in case her mother had died while she was out. Certainly, in later years, she often remembered that journey and remarked that she wouldn't like to be in the position of having to make that walk again at the same time in the morning but in 1947 she had no fear of walking such a distance on her own in the middle of the night.

I don't know who that doctor would have been and the only doctor's surgery I can think of was on Alfreton Road just around the corner from Bentinck Road, more or less opposite where those ugly maisonettes were built in the early 1970s. That house was once the practice of two doctors both named Dr Cox who were man and wife. Their housekeeper, Vera, was a great friend of my relatives George and Emily Ward who lived in Garden Street which was not far away.

Every time I see a photograph of that part of Radford Road it always reminds me of the story my mother told me from 1947.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Who or what was haunting 98 Hazelwood Road? Do tell!

Believe it or not Jill, a tall man dressed in black carrying a jet black cat in his arms whenever I saw him !  Really scary.

When my brothere moved out when he got married I saw the man once more & then moved to my sister's on Birkin Ave !

• Upvote 1

Probably, Lizzie. John Barr Cochrane was a gynecologist and obstetrician, at the beginning of his long career in 1947. I don't know why he was referred to as Dr because he was a surgeon and should have been Mr Cochrane. He spent the rest of his career at the City Hospital.

8 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

And The Firs Maternity Hospital, he smacked my bottom in 1949

And mine in 1952 Lizzie

Rog

9 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

And The Firs Maternity Hospital, he smacked my bottom in 1949 smile2

Smacked mine too,in 1945,and hewas the one that told mam to get me a liberty bodice 

• Upvote 1

I think somewhere on here there's a photo of him.  My Mum thought the World of him as she had several difficult pregnancies which only resulted in 2 babies and Dr Cochrane gave her hope.  

Miss Baker also lurked around the corridors of Peel Street Women's Hospital as my mother discovered when she was rushed in, suffering a miscarriage, in 1953. In the early hours, she was wheeled into theatre for a d&c after losing the baby. The following day, during her ward round, Miss Baker stopped by my mother's bed and snapped "You're the young lady who got me out of bed at 2 oclock this morning! DON'T DO IT AGAIN!"

She didn't!

• Upvote 2