just a quick question to see how many people on this site are from the green and went to berridge road school in the 1960-70s

and any body worked at gerards soap factory our family the martins and searcys go right back to the 1800s maybe earier,great times great pubs/great shops always something going off ,is there any relations to johnson the jeweler would like to catch up about there time in the 60s[70s

cheers

gary auckland.nz

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great picture Ian I lived on Russell Rd 1961-72. My dad and I used to walk down to the library in theĀ evening around the early 60s. He was an avid reader and always had library books by his bedsi

just a quick question to see how many people on this site are from the green and went to berridge road school in the 1960-70s and any body worked at gerards soap factory our family the martins and se

A concrete jungle. I remember their construction. There were some who liked living there but it struck me as a soulless place. I can't really remember the streets of terraced houses the flats replaced

We lived on St Pauls Avenue, Hyson Green in the 1950s and for about a year and a half I went to Berridge Secondary school

Best wishes

Peter

Hello Gary...........think you will find a good percentage on here have memories of Hyson Green even if we never lived here,........Parmitage i had relatives on St. Pauls Avenue in the 50s.......name of Phillips ........Doris and Blonde.

I was a youngster in the 50s so perhaps did not know your relatives #4 benjamin1945. We had a dog who if it got out of the house it would go into the Vicars garden and dig up all the plants - even had the look of satisfaction as he did it!!!

When it snowed we would sledge down the hill at the bottom - did not matter it ended in a brick wall - you had to try to get off the sledge before you hit it

Best wishes

Peter

Eyup Gary. I lived on Speechly St as a toddler C1940. Speechy St is now long gone and the new Berridge Infants school is now where it was.

I moved further up Hyson Green to Peveril St., in 1942. Attended Berridge Sec Mod1949/53. So a bit before your time.

I worked at Gerard's for a number of years,making Pearl,Imperial Leather and green bar soap for prisons and borstals,a real smƶrgƄsbord of people I must say,as regards St. Paul's Ave..my Father coached fencing there throughout the 60's.

Ey up Ian,.......Fencing hey? .....Chain link,,,,,,wire,,,,,,,,wooden ?.......or the lunge and thrust type?

• Upvote 1

Last year when I was over,I went to that lovely big Asian veg market on Gregory Blvd/Radford Rd.junction.. Fantastic staff and food choice..but opposite i noticed a small park,when I got my school bus in the 70's from that area that site was covered with large advertising hoarding.. any ideas what was there?..thanks,Ian.

This may be going back too far, but that empty space with the grass used to look like this (looking up Radford Rd; Gregory Blvd going left-right).

radford%20rd.jpg

The space housed, among other things, one of Nottingham's early cinemas - The Grand.

grand%20radford.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hyson Green has changed, but even in the 60s and 70s Hyson Green was a very dynamic community. Lots of immigrant people who added to the general community. As a child and then a young man I appreciated the new communities and for the most part they were extremely friendly. It forms part of me as a adult that I dont generally discriminate between cultures. I recognise the differences but for the most part it is nothing I find objectionable.

I lived in Radford but right on the boarder with Hyson Green depending where the boarder officially is. Is there an 'official' boarder?

I was just of Radford Boulevard at the Gregory Boulevard end. I went to Berridge 1960-66 and many of my friends were from the Green on or near Birkin Avenue. Hyson Green was a very good shopping area. It was the next step before actually going into town. My mum used to get school stuff from Fords.

Staddons Stores - oh how I remember the overhead money cups that use to be sent around as a youngster I was fascinated. The Grand - used to go to the threepenny rush on a Saturday. They once had some bloke who was supposed to be the world champion YOYO but while he was trying to do his act everyone was chanting "We want Deadwood Dick"

Best wishes

Peter

• 8 months later...

I'm devastated! Hyson Green library has moved!

Ā 

What is going to happen to the original building I remember and loved above all others in my childhood? Please don't tell me it's going to be destroyed. Ā I can see and smell it now. Beeswax polish on the solid oak circular island desk, tables and chairs. The aroma of well thumbed books. Veterans of WW1 trying to snatch a crafty nap in the warmth, hidden behind the red linen bound boards of The Nottingham Guardian folders and waking sharply from a good shake by the female librarian. "You can't go to sleep in here!"

Ā 

Tickets in little wooden boxes and that date stamp I just longed to acquire. Silence at all times!

Ā 

What have we got now? Endless noise and chatter of NEETs playing rowdy computer games whilst stuffing their bloated faces with her more greasy crisps and coca cola. Plastic chairs, MDF tables, sticky book jackets!

Ā 

Yuk! Ā Stop this planet! I want to get off! Ā Ā :angry:

• Upvote 3

I agree with you Jill!

Ā 

I lived on the Flats from 1968 to 1976 and my family were connected with the area from the 1920's. I loved living there but when I travel down Radford Road now, which is extremely infrequent I despair. It appears that it is now generally inhabited by migrants, who have no sense of the history of the area and the country. When I saw the Olympic Torch pass through the Green I was dismayed at the lack of crowds attending on that particularĀ day.Ā 

Ā 

DSC_5621_zpswgr3htwi.jpg

• Upvote 3

Ā 

Oh, horror! Ā I remember all those shops when they didn't look like that! As a little girl, my mother took me shopping there and then round the corner to Boots and Woolworths. Lovely shops. My mother remembered when many of those houses were not only single occupancy but had servants! Some wonderful houses along Gregory Boulevard. Not the constructed-overnight, little boxes with plastic windows and MDF doors they're throwing up now. Ā No style, no quality.Ā :angry:

• Upvote 2

Hyson Green needs a good tidy up!

It hosts a huge variety of different nations and cultures that have made it interesting for years. I recall many Irish families living in this area as a kid.

Maybe the landlords that rent out so many of properties in this vicinity should improve an area that has slipped down in the past 10 years!

I didn't go to Berridge Rd school, but I lived just off Berridge Rd East. The Green was the place to shop in the fifties, what with Staddons and Woolworths etc; I had friends on Pleasant Row, and in later years my mum lived in a flat near the Clock pub. (Real name, I think was the Avenue)When I was about sixteen I went to a wedding reception at the Radford Arms. Many years later I could not believe what had happened to it! Also in the fifties, my mum and dad worked behind the bar at the Langham pub, near the top of the Green. They used to let me sit upstairs, where they did the glass washing, until it was time to close up. A policeman on his bike used to come in the back, ostensibly to check that the 10 ' clock last orders were being adhered to. Didn't stop him having a pint while he waited. When I go into Nottingham on the tram, I cannot see the Green I knew, but times change, and we must move on . And the youth club is still going!

• Upvote 2

The picture of the Grand reminded me of the days when us kids went to the Grand Club on Saturday afternoons. I liked queuing up in the long entrance hall that had mirrors on both sides and you could see your reflected reflections go on for ever. Fascinated meĀ as did my kaleidoscope. This was the mid/late 40's when the Grand was a bit posher than the Boulevard (Bughole). I later went to Palin St youth club where we had badminton and dances. Great days.Ā My mum spent a lot of time at the library and I tagged along. Like Jill I remember the smell of polished wood and of the silence. Bet you remember the children/juniors section Jill?

• Upvote 1