• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great picture Ian I lived on Russell Rd 1961-72. My dad and I used to walk down to the library in theĀ evening around the early 60s. He was an avid reader and always had library books by his bedsi

just a quick question to see how many people on this site are from the green and went to berridge road school in the 1960-70s and any body worked at gerards soap factory our family the martins and se

A concrete jungle. I remember their construction. There were some who liked living there but it struck me as a soulless place. I can't really remember the streets of terraced houses the flats replaced

Balloon Woods was another one as I remember but I was never in one of those. Ā I grew up in a two up two down in Netherfield with an outside privy. Ā It was not luxury, but I'd never known luxury anyway so I didn't know I was missing anything. Ā People kept 'emĀ nice with little postage stamp sized lawns at the back. Ā There was a general friendliness and not a bad place to grow up.

• Like 3

I can see Catfans point and Jills...but when you come from a home that is damp..can't hold wallpaper..outside loo...friend embarresment...pokey slum...a flat like that was a fine home.

I offer..if they were built exactly like they were..but gated and sold as private apartments...they would be still standing...they were just 12 floors or so lower than vic centre flats.

Nottm City Council have always been guilty of lumping folk together and creating ghettos..quiet and working tenants apply for transfers- so they can get some sleep ..to get up and pay the rent .

Not saying everyone unwaged is noisy and anti social. But the word spreads

"This place is a soft touch".

When i had an apartment near the Clinton Arms...i had to have Ā£1000 in the bank and 3 references.

This was with North British Housing.

2 years later.. unbeknown to us Balloon Woods closed and they housed 150 of these rats!!

Arrived home from work to find the fountain and pond had had 3Ā metres of ready mix!

"Tired of fetching matresses and prams out" was the strap line...to a tenant that was paying a tenner a week for landscaping.on the whole a bad tenant is a bad tenant...whether that be in Mapperley Park or Manvers Court!

• Like 2

A few lads I played football with back in the day lived in those flats.......remember a party I went to with some of them in the flats, great night all his neighbours came, and were a lovely crowd, they loved living there and had a community spirit.........great banter with many West Indians who lived there,.. and turned up with funny things to smoke........still see Frank a great West Indian character......now lives Bulwell, gives me the ''knuckle greet'' still, love him,.............

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Following chulla's farewell we drove down Radford Rd towards Bulwell.Ā  Oh dear! Snail pace traffic and held up for about 5 minĀ for no apparent reason, where theĀ Grand used to be. Gave us chance to take in what was around us. Just a snapshot but Afro's were coolest, Asians were busiest and whites were scruffiest. Passed Shippo's now John Pye. BasfordĀ gassworks, memories of collecting coke in an old pram. The stone wall on the right and old quarries/clay pits where I remember water coming out of the ground - the first time I had seen a spring.Ā 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

ntgm001781.jpgRadford Rd.had it all at one time.

Along here was Fords-the Co Op- Rose's Shoes.For the gents on Sundays..upstairs at The General.( not that i'd know.)ntgm014219.jpgMick off to work on the buildings..nice Cortina Mk3. Machins Jeans to the right.ntgm001778.jpgHeathcotes for all your film & camera needs.The Daughter took some fine snaps also. Browns bakery for floury baps!

Sure there was a VG type mini market along here?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

nice Cortina Mk3

The TC/MKIII Cortina was produced down under with imported four cylinder engines and local straight sixes of 3.3 and 4.1 litre capacity

You can pick one up here for between $5,000 and $10,000 or 2,800 - 5500 quid

• Like 1

It wasn't only Sundays at the Old General. There were also "gentlemen's shows" on Friday lunchtimes and weekday evenings in the back bar. Several of the lady entertainers also worked on the soap packing lines at Gerard's and had "street corner" jobs down on Gregory Boulevard.

The back bar at the OG also had jazz entertainment and some really naff drag acts midweek.

Ā 

• Like 1

A bit further down Radford Rd - nearer to Shippo's was an excellent butcher/cooked meat shop - much like what is a charcuterie down here. They made their own black pudding, polony, cooked ham, haslet, savoury ducks amongst many other things but best of all was their dripping both pork and beef. When I worked at Gerard's I would go to Brown's bakers for some baps, then to this butchers/charcuterie for dripping - must be with jelly and back to Gerard's to eat it. As a special treat, I would have a black pudding as well.

• Like 2

In the row of shops in the first picture, there was and ironmonger/tool merchant by the name of I & O Chandler. Been in there many times for tools.

• Like 1

Somewhere between Godber's and the Scotholme was a sweet shop where I used to buy 2oz of jelly babies to keep me going during the afternoon. The jelly babies were weighed out into small conical paper bags.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

14650477.jpgEchoes of my 44 days.Nu-Line..was that a petshop nextdoor?

Olympicļ»æ Cycles,Carlsboro Sound, Boots and Woolies all along here.

Not forgetting the T Bar BQ after some Hardys in the Langham.

And Ford's...for liberty bodices! Can just make it out.