• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great picture Ian I lived on Russell Rd 1961-72. My dad and I used to walk down to the library in the evening around the early 60s. He was an avid reader and always had library books by his bedsi

just a quick question to see how many people on this site are from the green and went to berridge road school in the 1960-70s and any body worked at gerards soap factory our family the martins and se

A concrete jungle. I remember their construction. There were some who liked living there but it struck me as a soulless place. I can't really remember the streets of terraced houses the flats replaced

Jill, it sounds like Miss Baker took over where Dr. Cochrane left off. Never had to deal with either one (thank goodness ) but a friend, when expecting her first baby told the tale of everyone waiting to go in to see him, all sitting in a long corridor. One of the expectant mothers came out the consulting room to go home, and he followed her out and yelled for all to hear, 'and next time, have a bath first'

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The second link is Gregory Boulevard. I have just tried to pan along and turn left on to Radford Road and it just gives a horrible jump back again as though Radford road is a no go area.

Yuk! Awful building. Doesn't have the ambience of the original which is now well over 100 years old.

Incidentally, I can remember when the original Mary Potter health centre was built. Can't recall what was on the site before then although I must have walked past it often enough as a child.

One afternoon, on my way home from the dreaded Manning, I was passing the site of the advertising hoardings at the corner of Gregory Boulevard and Birkin Avenue when something flew into my right ear and set up a frantic buzzing noise. Like an idiot, I stuck my finger in my ear and probably pushed whatever it was further in.

Starting to panic, because I feared that perhaps a bee or a wasp that flown into my ear, I began to imagine what would happen if it stung me and that I would probably go deaf! With my satchel flying, I raced all the way home with my right hand clasped over my right ear.

For some reason, my older sister was at home and, not knowing what to do because our own GP surgery didn't open until later in the day, she took me all the way back to the Mary Potter health centre with what ever had flown into my ear now kicking up a tremendous racket and me in floods of tears, convinced I was going to spend the rest of my life being deaf in one ear.

The upshot of this story was that a doctor at the health centre had a look in my ear and then syringed out the contents into a small dish. The insect turned out to be a small house fly and nothing like the bee or wasp I had feared.In those days, a row of laurel bushes grew in front of the advertising hoardings behind a sort of picket fence that was painted in a silver coloured paint and I would imagine that the fly came out of one of those bushes. I gave them a very wide berth for the next few weeks and, despite my pleadings of having a sore ear, didn't manage to get a day off school!  :angry:

48 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

The second link is Gregory Boulevard. I have just tried to pan along and turn left on to Radford Road and it just gives a horrible jump back again as though Radford road is a no go area.

I've just tried that move with no problem....    (although I can understand why even Google would want to avoid Radford Rd)

Better explain why I stated the obvious that the link was Gregory Boulevard. My grandmother was born on Belton Street (c.1900) which is off Radford Road opposite, in the vicinity of the Police Station. I only ever knew her on Minver Crescent, Aspley but even in the late sixties and early seventies she still used to go back to Radford Road to do her shopping. She always used to say 'I've been on The Green'. She was not actually referring to Hyson Green the area, but to specifically to Radford Road. Its rubbed off on me and even now I consider Hyson Green to be Radford Road.

Similar thing in my case. Based on a few visits to the area when I was young, I always thought that "Hyson Green" was the name of the road which went from Bentinck Road down to Gregory Boulevard.

This stretch.

j8DUaZF.jpg

• Upvote 1

Exactly. But in my case I believed that Hyson Green was the stretch from Gregory Boulevard to Wilkinson Street

I was born and brought up in Bobbers Mill Road so, during my childhood, most of the shopping was done either at the shops at the bottom of the road...Alfreton Road...or on the Green which, to me comprised the whole of Radford Road and Gregory Boulevard. A trip into Nottingham was rarely needed as most things were readily available in Hyson Green. My maternal grandparents had lived in Hawksley Road immediately prior to moving to Bobbers Mill in 1921.

• 2 months later...

As I understand it, everything between Alfreton Road and Radford Road going north was Hyson Green. How far north before it got into Basford? Good question. I think the train line defines the northern boundary. (not the tram line, different thing) but this still begs the question of the streets on the east of Radford Road running to Noel Street, and north to Shipstone Street. Relatives (now gone) on Belton Street certainly referred to it is Hyson Green. One grave in the Somme Valley has a casualty of Belton Street, Hyson Green. 

I think that everyone would agree with me that the epicentre of Hyson Green was, and remains the junction of Radford Road and Gregory Boulevard. 

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

As a young boy C1948 the Sunday walk with Dad would start from Peveril St and finish at my cousins house on Speechly St. It was considered that we had walked the whole length of Hyson Green. Peveril St was not in Hyson Green. HG started at the bottom of Southey St. and ended at Bobbers Mill Rd. In those days, looking down Radford Rd towards Gregory Bvd the Birkin Ave side was considered a better class than the Forest side. both seemed the same to me?

• 2 weeks later...

A concrete jungle. I remember their construction. There were some who liked living there but it struck me as a soulless place. I can't really remember the streets of terraced houses the flats replaced but it must surely have been cheaper to have brought those up to standard than destroy the community that had existed for so long.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

I am dismayed and staggered by those pics Ian. People being treated like rabbits. OK some houses that were flattened were of poor quality but they were not slums. God only knows what this complex will end up like :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

A concrete jungle. I remember their construction. There were some who liked living there but it struck me as a soulless place. I can't really remember the streets of terraced houses the flats replaced but it must surely have been cheaper to have brought those up to standard than destroy the community that had existed for so long.

sadly, it was all down to money. The houses on Stockhill lane were upgraded (inside bathroom, etc) at a cost of £3500 each. The council were enticed by a 75% government grant providing that the building provided 75 bed spaces per acre. the only way to achieve that was to build upwards. The social problems did not take long to materialise. Like the loss of mines in Mansfield and Worksop, it takes a while to realise that communities are defined by self-confidence and pride in an area.

Still, enjoy Easter Monday!

• Like 2