• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great picture Ian I lived on Russell Rd 1961-72. My dad and I used to walk down to the library in theĀ evening around the early 60s. He was an avid reader and always had library books by his bedsi

just a quick question to see how many people on this site are from the green and went to berridge road school in the 1960-70s and any body worked at gerards soap factory our family the martins and se

A concrete jungle. I remember their construction. There were some who liked living there but it struck me as a soulless place. I can't really remember the streets of terraced houses the flats replaced

25 minutes ago, Commo said:

Could be a cue for the NS choir when they arrive.

Ā Just got to find my tuning fork Commo? Might need some back up this time of the morning though.:biggrin:

6 hours ago, IAN123. said:

JR_TEM_Bygones_010618_02.jpgGregory Boulevard and Library ,1965.

Great picture Ian

I lived on Russell Rd 1961-72. My dad and I used to walk down to the library in theĀ evening around the early 60s. He was an avid reader and always had library books by his bedside. I used to look at the latest issue of The Mecanno Magazine and the chemistry books whilst he chose his reading for the week. Later on heĀ usedĀ to take me in The Central Library which was housed in the old University College building in town and is now part of Nottingham Trent Uni. The reference section there was fantastic and really grabbed me. I later went on to uni and became a research chemist so I think it all began for me in that humble library building on Gregory Boulevard.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, IAN123. said:

JR_TEM_Bygones_010618_03.jpgGregory Boulevard, 1922.Strange contraption near the bobby.TC Hine building to the left.

Ā 

The Nottingham Post states this is the junction of Gregory Boulevard and Radford Rd. Before I checked I thought it might be the junction at the bottom of Burford Rd where there was the vicarage for the vicar of St Pauls on Radford Rd. The vicarage has now gone to be replaced by aĀ block of apartments. St Pauls has also closed but the building remains.

There's a nice write up about St Pauls here:

http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/hyson-green-st-paul/hintro.php

• Like 1
3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Thanks mess..spent many a day in St.Pauls...hence the Bat 'round pub Thread.

My Dad coached fencing in their for years..

Go on Mumbling Nerd..pic of my Dad.

He taught MN epee, foil and sabre.

Ā 

That is quite something Ian.Ā 

10 hours ago, Mess said:

thinkļ»æ it all begaļ»æn for me in that humble library building on Gregory Boulevard.

Me too, Mess. I loved the Hyson Green library and started visiting in my push chair. It ranks in my top 10 loved places. Like you, I later went on to discover the Central library in Nottingham. Wonderful building. Now both are no longer used for library purposes.

• Like 1

Radford road being an extension of Vernon road,,would think commo got where VR and RR meet mixed up...easy done.

5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Radford road being an extension of Vernon road,,would think commo got where VR and RR meet mixed up...easy done.

Hadn't thought about that. One does meet the other. I was just trying to work out how Basford became attached to Hyson Green.

Reckon travelling from Vernon road........it goes Old Basford changes to New Basford as it crosses Valley rd/Western blvd its then Radford rd ,becoming Hyson Green as it passes Bobbers Mill........if all that makes sense........lol

It does. When anybody mentions Vernon Road to me I instantly think of Catchems - Cropley Institute of Boozing!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I recall Plimsoll Street well. At the top on the junction to Bobbers Mill Road (Top left on the photo) was a sweets hop run by my god parents. Across the road on Bobbers Mill Road there would have been two shops, one a newsagents run by the Beardsmores, and opposite, a fish and chip shop called Dogger Bank.Ā 

I loved the Wheatsheaf. On hot summers evenings my and my dad would walk down there and I would have Vimto as we sat on the walls.Ā 

Ā 

I also recall it as being a decent pub going into the 1980s. Its last reincarnation as a pub was a pub which had Reggae nights every Saturday.Ā 

Ā 

Now, its a Macdonalds.Ā 

Remember them well, M.D.

Ā 

Catfans school teacher Eric Towle and his wife lived on Plimsoll Street when first married, in the early 60s. They both served as Sunday school teachers at st Stephen's church.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

In most of the photos of old Nottingham most of the roads have the old stone sets, there must have been millions of them. All now seem to have been covered over, where did they come from and how did they make so many. There must have been a major enterprise to make so many with the equipment available at that time. The use of these for drives and patios I wonder how many disappeared when road maintenance was undertaken.

• Like 1
On 14 June 2018 at 1:43 AM, IAN123. said:

4519418586_09e3cc9fcd_b.jpgBobbers Mill Crossing.Wheat Sheaf Inn.

Although I lived quite close I rarely went in the Wheat Sheaf. I went the other way, Pheasant, Dover Castle and Marqoise of Lourne or down the green, Radford Arms etc. I do recall the last time I went in the Wheat Sheaf. Christmas Eve a few years back the motor in the fan oven packed up. I knew what it was as it had been playing up for a while and I had bodged a repair which had lasted a while. Not a good time for the oven to give up. So I rang Greys Electrical (excellent) and they had one in stock. Problem was they were closing lunch time for Christmas holiday in 5 minutes and I'm an hour Ā away. So they suggest I meet them in the Wheat Sheaf where they're having their Christmas do. So we did the deal on the pool table in the pub that afternoon.Ā 

• Like 1