7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

1861377.jpgGregory Boulevard junction,1952. Horse at water trough.

I think this was at the bottom of Mansfield Rd. near the old Carrington Station. You can just see Mansfield Rd Baptist Church in the background. I got married there in 1973 and my dad was in the 14th Boys Brigade that met there. I think they're still there. One of my old school chums Jeff Knibb was also in the BB there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, IAN123. said:

JR_TEM_Bygones_010618_03.jpgGregory Boulevard, 1922.Strange contraption near the bobby.TC Hine building to the left.

The Nottingham Post states this is the junction of Gregory Boulevard and Radford Rd. Before I checked I thought it might be the junction at the bottom of Burford Rd where there was the vicarage for the vicar of St Pauls on Radford Rd. The vicarage has now gone to be replaced by a block of apartments. St Pauls has also closed but the building remains.

There's a nice write up about St Pauls here:

http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/hyson-green-st-paul/hintro.php

• Like 1

Thanks mess..spent many a day in St.Pauls...hence the Bat 'round pub Thread.

My Dad coached fencing in their for years..

Go on Mumbling Nerd..pic of my Dad.

He taught MN epee, foil and sabre.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Thanks mess..spent many a day in St.Pauls...hence the Bat 'round pub Thread.

My Dad coached fencing in their for years..

Go on Mumbling Nerd..pic of my Dad.

He taught MN epee, foil and sabre.

That is quite something Ian. 

10 hours ago, Mess said:

think it all began for me in that humble library building on Gregory Boulevard.

Me too, Mess. I loved the Hyson Green library and started visiting in my push chair. It ranks in my top 10 loved places. Like you, I later went on to discover the Central library in Nottingham. Wonderful building. Now both are no longer used for library purposes.

• Like 1

Agree fully Jill and it was quiet !

I often did my homework in their..and got the 44 home outside Crofts Newsagents.

They had a brilliant record library too.

Found an article on demolition in the 60's .Unknown to me....51313.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThis is Plimsoll Street...anyone know where?...ian 

• Like 1

Plimsoll Street was off the top end of Bobbers Mill Road just before the junction with Vernon Road.

• Like 1

Plimsoll Street was towards the top of Bobbers Mill Road near to where it comes out onto Radford Road. Nowhere near Vernon Road.

287lwr4.jpg

Radford road being an extension of Vernon road,,would think commo got where VR and RR meet mixed up...easy done.

One of my sister's first house was on Plimsoll Terrace off Plimsoll Street. Also had an aunt who lived corner of Bobbers Mill Road & Plimsoll Street.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Radford road being an extension of Vernon road,,would think commo got where VR and RR meet mixed up...easy done.

Hadn't thought about that. One does meet the other. I was just trying to work out how Basford became attached to Hyson Green.

Reckon travelling from Vernon road........it goes Old Basford changes to New Basford as it crosses Valley rd/Western blvd its then Radford rd ,becoming Hyson Green as it passes Bobbers Mill........if all that makes sense........lol

I remember Plimsoll Street quite well. It was on the left, just past the few houses next to St Stephen's church. All gone now.

• Like 1