funny little area Carrington,what bit is actually Carrington,the only bit i think of is from Gregory blvd and up a bit of Hucknall rd and Mansfield rd towards Sherwood,............yes worked at Farrands and the Coop on the Mansfield rd bit.............

Thinking about Carrington,did'nt there used to be a Lido there ? and i vaguely recall playing against City Police for Notts Corinthians in the Notts Thursday league at a ground there.?

Carrington Lido was great, Benji. Went there quite a bit as a youngster.

Yes, you're right, police recreation ground there on the opposite (East) side of Mansfield Road

When you think about it, it has punched above its weight!

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Memories-summer-fun-Nottingham-s-lidos/story-12253226-detail/story.html

NTGM003776.jpg

• Upvote 2

And of course Carrington had its own railway station, north end of the tunnel from Victoria Station.

It even had a triangular market place, now occupied by Carrington Primary School grounds between Jenner Street and Wesley Street.

#27. My friend and I went to the Curzon to see an Elvis film - can't remember which one - in 1957 and they asked us how old we were. We were truthful and said we were 14 and they wouldn't let us go in!! Didn't know that Elvis films were considered so 'adult'....

From http://www.ournottinghamshire.org.uk/page_id__1023.aspx

The six acres of land that is now the area known as Carrington was sold off for development in the early 1800s. Some time later it was bought by Ichabod Wright, the Nottingham banker, who named it Carrington after Lord Carrington of Carrington, near Ashby Folville in Leicestershire.
A village was built on the land in 1825 and the area was soon transformed by the lace industry. In 1832, there were 34 bobbin net makers, but in just four years the number had risen to 143.
Carrington is notable for:

• ​Shipstone’s Brewery. In 1835, the New Inn was opened on New Street, by Thomas Beasley, a farmer. This became firstly the Carrington Brewery, then Shipstone & Co., after James Shipstone bought the brewery in 1898.
  • The Gladstone Hotel , Loscoe Street, Carrington was built in 1882, one famous landlord was George Fryer, an English amateur heavyweight boxing champion, billed as ‘The Nottingham Slasher’ when fighting in the USA.
  • Carrington Lido. The outdoor Lido off Mansfield Road (Next to St John’s Church) was opened on 29th July 1937 at a cost of £20,000. It closed in 1988. The site is now a children’s recreation ground.
  • The Great Central Railway. From 1895 the Great Central Railway crossed through the area, most of it via an underground tunnel on its way to and from Victoria Station, Nottingham. Carrington Station opened in 1899 and closed in 1929.
  • Cullen’s Almshouses. Cullen’s Almshouses on Bingham Road, Carrington were designed by the Nottingham architect William Fothergill in 1882. They were paid for by the Misses Elizabeth Marianne Cullen, in memory of their brother James Cullen, who died in 1878.

Think we've gone a bit off topic now. Anyway, what I asked was: "Does Carrington deserve a mention in Areas of Nottingham?"

I discovered on Ancestry that my Great Grandmother spent some of her childhood at # 56 Hucknall Road, it's probably not there anymore, possibly the Carrington Primary School is on that site now. Must go and explore the area.

Ichabod Wright had built and lived in Mapperley Hall, just up the hill from Carrington.

Come to think of it,for a little area done quite alot in Carrington,.......worked,played football,stayed at 3 hotels,even had a Berni in the Grovesnor,and if Redland rd is Carrington done a bit of Courting there as well...............i like Carrington lol.

Slightly adrift from the topic, but I notice that the New Carrington Inn (used to be the New Inn) has had its name nicely signwritten on its end wall. This seems to be getting popular. The Greyhound in Arnold has a nice painted wall-name and so does the Horseshoe Inn in Bulwell market. Hopefully, we will see more of this old style of displaying pub names.

• Upvote 1

Slightly adrift from the topic, but I notice that the New Carrington Inn (used to be the New Inn) has had its name nicely signwritten on its end wall.

Nice, but their choice of colour is a bit daft. Light colour on a light-coloured background is never going to stand out very well.

new%20inn.jpg

It certainly looks smarter than previously though.

I've now worked out exactly where Carrington Market Place was. The last remaining bits were flattened only a few years ago.

Not the biggest market place ever. This is how it looked.

carring%20mktold.jpg

The same location now looks like this.

carringtonmktnew.jpg

Where it was / is.

carringtonmkt1.jpg

The road on the far left is Hucknall Rd; the one up the middle is Jenner St / Loscoe Rd; the one on the far right is Mansfield Rd.

• Upvote 3

I only remember going to Carrington Lido once we mainly went to the one at Papplewick in those days a big adventure. Yes I remember playing against the Nottingham Police in the Thursday League for Co-op Diary. The Police ground was quite well set up

Best wishes

Peter

dad lived at 21 Ramsey St. Carrington, mum, before they were married lived two doors further up, Grandads Wesleyan Chapel was up Wesley ST., if you go up there now, the bit thats left, there is a sewer grate in the road, that was in front of where the chapel stood, next door to 21 there lived a family called Bearsdley, dads best pal was sonny beardsley, he was killed parachuting at Arnhem during the war. there was a pub at the bottom of Ramsey St./Babbington St. called The White Hart, known locally as The Glue Pot, because the wives used to say once the men get in there they stick in there and won't come out. i remember bonfires in the middle of the street, washing hanging out across Babbington St. (big Sheets), and illegal betting being done between the washing.

• Upvote 2

Grandads Wesleyan Chapel was up Wesley ST., if you go up there now, the bit thats left, there is a sewer grate in the road, that was in front of where the chapel stood,

According to Picture the Past, the Wesleyan Chapel is the building with the sign sticking out.

wesley%20st.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ichabod also formed the first Nottingham troop of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry in 1794. When he retired his dining out dinner consisted of 10 courses including pigeon from Sherwood Forest, lamb from the Levant and a cigar course.

The SRY museum hold a very nice oil painting of him and the original dinner menu.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

In the mid 1960s one of my school friends lived in a house that backed on to the police sports ground in Carrington. The BBC were there doing an outside broadcast of a cricket match (no idea who was playing). As an 11 year old I was well chuffed when we were invited into the control van to watch the action on their array of black and white monitors.

• Upvote 2