"Friday night,just got Paid".

As a young 'un with disposable cash and in the days when your chargehand handed you your pay packet after your morning tea-break... frequently I angled to finish at lunchtime to prepare for a cracking night ahead.

This would entail a couple of liveners in The Stag & Pheasant..then on into town to find some clobber,Birdcage or Cecil Gee were hot favourites, as they did a one hour tailoring service..or nip to my old mate Des Kennedy on Vic Mkt.. he'd nip,tuck and alter in jig time!!

For a sweater or jacket..Jaeger on Derby Rd.- they were pricey,but the wool quality was excellent.

Horne's for a pair of decent 'chockers'..the blonde sales asst was a corker!..she moved to Burtons on the corner of Clumber st.when it dropped its decent threads to Topman standard.

Limeys on the Poultry.. nice stuff,Verte Valley shirts at £53!!..still got one.Suitably suited and booted,a snack in Croshaws or the Palace Coffee House for a feed and a rum baba.

Taxi back to Bulwell, iron the clothes,music on full tilt,slip on the emersion, Pomagne on the go,hog the bathroom and upstairs to play your new Selectadisc purchase and get out the door.. before the old man gets the frying pan going..can't pose in the Playhouse Bar funking like the Elbow!!

Any other members have similar reflections?

Ian, sorry to inform you mate, but you said the other day that you were falling on your sword.

Well you missed. LOL

Friday evening, Ready Steady Go on the box, big fry up, E8 or F5 to town . RSG stated that 'The Weekend Starts Here' , well it really did. Into the Bell, then Yates's finally to the Spread Eagle. Great days indeed.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Fly,I feel that until a management directive is given concerning the validity of so many subjects on this site..I'm going to stick to Nottingham based themes.

Incidentally, thank you to the folks that sent me words of encouragement, it means an awful lot to me.

Ian, your initial post doesn't reflect one days activities does it I presume ?

Leave some drinking time. FFS.

I was going to apply to be a moderator, but was very politely talked out of it!

Ponce, that was a good old 60's word.

• Upvote 1

I seriously thought there was some....... Well ?

Mine was £3 board to Mam leaving £1 for me in 1960,.........still had some left next pay day,.........finally left home in 68,still only giving Mam £3...........

• Upvote 2

My first packet in 71 and I was proud to give my mam me board. I felt like a man at 15yr old. Went out and bought a Johnny Cash LP next day.money in me pocket for the first time, what a feeling

• Upvote 3

I think we all must remember payday. We would go back to EMGAS Woodborough Rd depot on a Friday and were paid at 4 o/clock I think Trev will confirm.

Hop on the trolly back to Egypt Road stop, walk in the house and tip up. Mom would then give me my spenders. From the age of 16 it was pack the rucksack trolly down to Huntingdon St in time for the X2 up into Derbyshire arriving early evening. Chuck the kit into the caving hostel and into the pub.

• Upvote 1

Remember in 63 when I started my apprenticeship, I had a agreed with mum to pay my board of the princely sum of 2 quid a week.

Worked like a slave first week doing some sort of refurb at Home Brewery in Arnold, free beer at lunch for the boys but us apprentices got none being only 15 & 16 year olds. They ran us ragged fetch this fetch that !

50 odd hours at one shilling and tuppence an hour ! I came out with about 2 pounds 10 shillings, I threw the pay packet at mum in disgust and went to my room to sulk, she felt sorry for me and gave it all back but only the first week, then I handed the lot over from then and got spending money. Think sometimes though I got back more than I earnt.

A few months later we got a raise, one shilling and fourpence an hour !

Kids today don't know they're born :-))

• Upvote 5

Eee Banjo,...........shilling a day and Horse-shit sandwich and only a mint to suck to keep ya warm...........

• Upvote 1

Payday was on a Thursday at the ROF. Started straight after Christmas 53 just turned 15. wages 27/6- which I gave to Mam. She gave me five bob back which was great to start with. After 6 months I got 32/- a week and Mam started giving me ten bob. As a proper apprentice at 16 my wages were about £2.10 shillings and I started giving Mam houskeeping of 30/- which it stayed at for a few years and I became rich with pound notes in my pocket every Thursday. Didn't start going on the town until late teens, preferring the youth club and spending my money on bikes and tailored suits. First tailored suit was from tailors on Radford Rd., think it later became Jacksons. My Friday night starts to the w/e began at Thurland Hall then on to Black Boy, Yates, Bell and Flying Horse. Love to do that again one day - well where the pubs are still standing!

Some great recollections, forgot about the board ' bit'. I gave my Mum £40, and treated her to the hairdressers as well at Keith Halls. Was it The Dragon Chinese..next door to the Jockey in Bulwell?...

Often staggered in there with a taxi waiting and took two specials home for us.

Very mean, especially with the pork!

• Upvote 1

I still have wage slips from 1971 and 72, Fully skilled 25 year old and had to do a Saturday morning to come out with £20. Having said that I was newly married, ran a car and seemed to live reasonably well.

1974 Harold became Prime Minister and inflation took of within 18 months I was on £32 a week, didn't seem any better off though.