Names you like and don't like

You are correct about the estimated age of the ladies names in your list benjamin. I worked in a Hospice before I retired and one morning in one of the offices there were six of us ladies, all with the same Christian name one of which is in your list and we were all within 2/3 years of the same age. :biggrin:

Edit. Sorry five of the six.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine are named after iconic rock gods.....Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.......

colly, I once saw a bunch of photos of cake decorating gone wrong. Someone had called the bakery and asked for Happy Birthday Stephen, it's Stephen with a ph. and the cake said Happy Birthday Phteven.

I have always thought that the like or dislike of a name relies heavily upon who you have previously known with that appellation. What, in the intervening years, has become of Miranda, Celia, Delia, H

Had a Doorman work for me a few years ago,........right good looking,6ft 3in,muscular build and a bit of a rebel called himself Rio,and everyone thought that was his name,..........i knew his real name,and one night he was giving it 'Large' to all-un-sundry,and i shouted over to him.......'Aubrey' have you got a minute'..he behaved after that, lol.........in fact he was aa very good Doorman,.....

• Upvote 4

It's funny how people always manage to alter your name, I answer to Chrissie, Chris, Christine, Crispy, Christabelle, Oye You! One of my favorites was "Chrissile the guided missile", I earned that, when I won a Darts match with double top, on a friendly day out in Shropshire. My real favorite is Chrissie, as hubbs calls me.

• Upvote 3

I hate my name Brenda! It puts in mind a big buxom barmaid. Mum wanted to call me Wendy but dad said everyone would call me Windy so Brenda it was. My husband calls me Ci ( pronounced chee). Or baby! Italian names have their maculine and feminine versions with some exceptions. Some of them translated are very old names. A neice called her son Iacopo and everyone said ugh or words to that effect but as he grew we couldnt see him with another name. I like the name Anjelica but cant say its my favourate and I dont really have a hate name apart from my own.

My mum said I was Eve when I was born, then became Vivienne shortly after. She changed it again when the doctor visited and said "I've always liked the name Margaret".

I've been Margie, Margaret or Marg at various times in my life, but never Maggie...

Our eldest son was named after my cousin's Alsatian (Gary). The next one was called Craig after one of The Champions (can you remember that TV series?) and our daughter is Diane because Paul didn't liked Dinah, which is what I wanted.

Of course before the days of ultrasound scans, we had to choose a boy's and a girl's name before they were born, so Gary might have been Anita, Craig was going to be Katie, and Diane might have been Steven

• Upvote 2

This thread's going well. Just over four hours and 32 posts. Looking at some of the feminine names I like Daisy and Dinah. Melissa, you'll have my sister to reckon with in not liking Ian.

Brenda the big buxom barmaid - rolls off the tongue nicely :laugh:

Funny enough, I always think that the name Brenda sounds Italian. Maybe there is a similar word in that language.

I see Elsie as a char-lady in a turban and overall.

• Upvote 2

My mam had decided on the name Alan as she was sure she was having a boy,until the midwife announced ,you have a daughter,so I am Joan(glad they didn't call me Alan,would have looked a bit daft at school)

I hate to hear of anyone called Harvey! Bad enough having it as a piggin surname! Shane is a pet hate for me too, its just not masculine. Or should I say it sounds too feminine!

• Upvote 1

Mum said they chose the name Shirley because they liked it and they thought it would not get shortened. I like their choice and it does get shortened to Shirl but I am happy with that amongst friends. My mum hated her name so when we chose names for our son we decided that he should have choice when he got older. He has three first names and each one can be shortened. When we registered him and they issued a medical card they would not all fit! He has stuck to using the first of his names and its shortened version.

On my family tree there are some very pretty names that I love: Ellen, Louisa and Nora. Also there are unusual ones: Gorbutt and Obadiah. I believe that Gorbutt was given his mother's family name. Obadiah is Biblical.

I have often heard people comment on the very trendy modern names saying that people would be stuck with them when they go to draw their pension. By the time that the Chardonnays are old enough to retire I wonder if there will be a state pension and I doubt that the Post Office will exist, replaced by full electronic payments.

There are no names that I actually dislike.

• Upvote 1

Brenda don't sound Italian Chulla.......................imagine Brenda and Umberto........just dont sit right................

and Catfan..................Kevin hey...........ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,...........sorry Kev nice name.........ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,ah,

• Upvote 4

Me mam's name was Mildred. Seems very dated, not a name I liked much. (I did like me mam though)

First wife's name was Janet Maureen. I always liked both. She didn't like Maureen. She said folks pronounce it Maaawwrreeen. She said that sounds like a gormless girl.

Second wife also Janet. So that's easy for me to remember. Doubt that I'll ever get to Janet the 8th though.

Me: David Richard. Happy enough with those.

• Upvote 1

When I was in labour the midwife asked me what names we'd chosen. I said Ian (sorry Melissa!) for a boy, Nicola for a girl. She said thank God it's not Jason, if I deliver another Jason I'll scream. Jason was the 'in' name in 1972. As it turns out, every Jason I met later through playgroup and school, was the devil incarnate. Glad we hadn't picked it. We chose Ian because it can't be shortened or nicknamed. We did think of Nicholas but decided he we would get called knickerless at school. Before we moved down south, I had to register him in school down there, rang them up and said his name is Ian Scott James, she said what a nice name, it sounds like an author!

• Upvote 2

I quite like the name Wendy. If I were a girl, that'd suit me. LOL

• Upvote 2

Don't know if it true, but J.M.Barrie invented the name Wendy when writing Peter Pan. Got it from saying my friendy-wendy. Most likely wrong, I have been known once or twice to be wrong, LOL.

• Upvote 3

I have heard that story before. Its always Windy Wendy to me and why has this box that I am typing in changed the colour of its border from grey to a mildew greeny colour?