Names you like and don't like

How often have you heard someone's first-name and thought ugh!, glad that's not my name. Or, perhaps, you heard one and thought - that is a nice name, I'd like to be called that.

I haven't given it much thought, but another thread mentions a Dolly. Don't ask me why but I like this name. It suits a child and an old lady. Let's hear your likes and dislikes. First-names only, not surnames.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine are named after iconic rock gods.....Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.......

colly, I once saw a bunch of photos of cake decorating gone wrong. Someone had called the bakery and asked for Happy Birthday Stephen, it's Stephen with a ph. and the cake said Happy Birthday Phteven.

I have always thought that the like or dislike of a name relies heavily upon who you have previously known with that appellation. What, in the intervening years, has become of Miranda, Celia, Delia, H

Funnily enough, I was discussing this very subject with a friend of mine last night, so there is a multitude of offending names running through my mind at the moment. Kevin, Gavin, Marcus, Dominic, Warren, Jason, Warwick, Kenneth, Sharon, Tracy, Cheryl, Chardonnay, Shiraz, Charlene, Carmine, all these invented girls names with West Indian connotations that contain loads of Z's.

This is going to be a long running topic I reckon as EVERYONE is surely going to have some input.

Do we judge some names by the people we know who have them? I think I probably do. I love our grandchildren's names but that may be because I love them! (Owen, Caleb, Guy, Jamie, Emma, Harry)

I heartily believe that there is an element of truth in that Margie. However, Caleb , well, at least you love him, that's the main thing.

• Upvote 1

Well in some cases hippo, ridiculous names emerge purely because of their parents spelling inadequacy.

• Upvote 2

When my son was born the Mother in Law wanted Dicken..I made it clear his name was not gonna get twisted into 'Dick'ead'....I stuck with the simple Martin and nothing else....fine till he came home from school in tears because they were calling him 'Fartin' Martin'.....You can't win :laugh:

• Upvote 5

My son was called James malcolm. Malcolm after my father .I wanted a name that was nice as a child and still a mans name as he grew . We were lucky it was never changed into Jamie or Jim. I realised after that it was my paternal grandfathers name and his fathers before him. It wasnt done intentionally. My husband chose my daughters name Deborah Sara, ( Sara after his mother)because he liked the name. But I really dont like children names to be taken from relatives as is the case with my husbands family. Especially if its a big family ....it gets very complicated.

My grandchildren all have ordinary names like Steven Andrew, Matthew Owen and Chloe Marion (a bit out of the ordinary). Ok in Uk but here the pronounciation gets changed to Stevehn Andreuh, Mattew Owehn and Chloeh. ( in italian every letter is pronounced)

Nonna, I agree entirely about not particularly liking names of close relations. Family loyalty aside, it shows an acute lack of inventiveness.

• Upvote 1

But I really dont like children names to be taken from relatives as is the case with my husbands family. Especially if its a big family ....it gets very complicated.

And it's an absolute pain when future generations start doing family history research.

• Upvote 3

I really feel that I must pre warn the delicate and fragile members that no offence is intended if you happen to find your own name mentioned within this topic. I hope we can all have a sly chuckle at some of the more obscure names, without any touchiness encroaching.

• Upvote 1

Post 60's parents who named their boys Dylan have a lot to answer for.

We've now got Ozzy, Dappy, Pixie for goodness sake.

Re#15 memories of a night at the Dungeon was it hippo ?

Under normal circumstances, I would have put Duane, but in view of Duane Allman being one of my all time rock hero's, I just couldn't do it.

My mother always said that names that were currently unpopular eventually come round again. For the most part I have found this to be true but there are names of elderly relatives that I recall from my distant childhood that do not seem close to resurfacing - Cecil, Eugene, Gladys, Evelyn (male), Archibald, Oswald, Gerald – and some that appeared to be very popular in my school days seem now to be out of favour: Maurice, Linda, Nigel, Trevor, Keith.

Poohbear’s comment (above) made me smile. I do recall a boy at primary school named Richard Head but in those days, the crude epithet was not commonplace and Richard’s nickname at school was always ‘Bonce’!

• Upvote 2

Ilike most of the old Biblical names,......and they say Mohammed is the most popular in Britain at the moment...........and if a ladies name is Barbara,Jean,Margaret,Hazel,Marian,Valerie,Sandra,Joyce,Christine,Beryl,or Mary........she's more likely to be as old as me....lol.

• Upvote 2