Names you like and don't like

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine are named after iconic rock gods.....Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.......

colly, I once saw a bunch of photos of cake decorating gone wrong. Someone had called the bakery and asked for Happy Birthday Stephen, it's Stephen with a ph. and the cake said Happy Birthday Phteven.

I have always thought that the like or dislike of a name relies heavily upon who you have previously known with that appellation. What, in the intervening years, has become of Miranda, Celia, Delia, H

No, Benji, they were Old Basford people.

BTW, I have remembered why I thought Brenda was an Italian name. Being interested in aviation I remember there used to be a wartime Italian aircraft manufacturers name Breda.

• Upvote 1

Good Lord, I'd never have guessed. LOL

Why not Clitorious for a girl - there are plenty of blokes called Dick.......

• Upvote 3

I once refused to date a guy because his name was Herbert, sounded so old fashioned back in the 60's, he was gorgeous though and regretted it for ages after as he never asked me out again...............Then there was Bernard who was as daft as his name............

• Upvote 2

My middle name is Elizabeth, a name which goes back at least 4 generations in my family.

Really hate my first name so not talking about it. However I was apparently going to be named Cynthia and my parents had second thoughts thank goodness, my first name isn't that bad!

My sons are Nicholas and Andrew, shortened from very early on to Nick and Andy. If either of them had been girls then Lucy was favourite.

My husband's first name WAS Cyril! His parents always called him by his middle name ..... bit odd that. Anyway Cyril is only on one document now, his birth certificate. Over the years he's managed to erase the 'C' word from his driving licence and passport.

I dislike the names that were 'trendy' in the 60s and 70s ..... Daryl, Darren, Wayne, Shane, Sharon, Sheryl.

But you know, this thread is likely to upset a lot of people who will feel quite hurt when their name is criticised!

• Upvote 1

I'm Stephen Harry. I get called Ste, Steve, Stevo, Stevie, Stevie it's a bl**dy Wonder, Stephan & some times Stephen. Also get called flash Harry & Haz, Often get my last name shortened to Colly or Col, Colly was my army nickname. My Mam was called Olive, she wasn't struck of it. I had 2 auntie Hilda's, never hear that name nowadays. Dad was Ron, he loved it...

• Upvote 1

Here are a few I'm not very fond of:

Kai

Mackenzie

Duane

Riley

Madison

Jayden

Kayden

Taylor

Chelsea/Chelsi

India

Summer.

Ones I do like are Wendy, Vanessa, Jenny, Ginette,Joanna,Bernice....Gareth,David,Luke,James.

colly, I once saw a bunch of photos of cake decorating gone wrong. Someone had called the bakery and asked for Happy Birthday Stephen, it's Stephen with a ph. and the cake said Happy Birthday Phteven.

• Upvote 6

That reminds me of this (very) old joke. :)

A Yorkshiremans' wife dies and the widower decides that her headstone should have the words "she were thine" engraved on it. He calls the stone mason, who assures him that the headstone will be ready a few days after the funeral. True to his word the stone mason calls the widower to say that the headstone is ready and would he like to come and have a look. When the widower gets there he takes one look at the stone to see that it's been engraved "she were thin". He explodes - fooking 'ell man, you've left the fooking "e" out, you've left the fooking "e" out. The stone mason apologises and assures the poor widower that it will be rectified the following morning. Next day comes and the widower returns to the stone mason - "there you go sir, I've put the "e" on the stone for you".
The widower looks at the stone and then reads out aloud - "e she were thin".

• Upvote 5

When my 3 grandsons were born I suggested that they used my granddads Christian name. No takers. Great grandson - no thanks. Well it's my middle name and I'm proud of it!

We would not have potatoes or tobacco if it wern't for my old namesake.... or bikes.

• Upvote 2