Names you like and don't like

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine are named after iconic rock gods.....Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.......

colly, I once saw a bunch of photos of cake decorating gone wrong. Someone had called the bakery and asked for Happy Birthday Stephen, it's Stephen with a ph. and the cake said Happy Birthday Phteven.

I have always thought that the like or dislike of a name relies heavily upon who you have previously known with that appellation. What, in the intervening years, has become of Miranda, Celia, Delia, H

Learned something today. I did a bit of on-line research into that name I mentioned "Maureen" Turns out its an Irish variation on the name Mary. Figures because her moms first name was Mary. There I was married to her for 33 years and I didn't know that. Not sure she did either.

Apparently it went out of fashion in the fifties and that is true. We had one girl in my class named Maureen. Don't know anyone else to this day with that name. Too bad, I like it.

I've written this before in another thread . My grandma was Clementina , she named her first daughter after herself and the second one Wilhelmina .

After that went for shorter names apart from my dad who was called Francis William .....always called Bill .

One of grandaughters ( half Dutch) is called Liliosa

Marieska but is known as Mae .

Chulla , how dare you compare me with an Aeroplane !!!!!!!! only joking because your wife may not speak to me again if I shout at you.

But Brenda may sound italian to you because you've known me for so long. There is a name in italian which is similar Wanda ( Vanda)

Many english names are popular here but the emphasis on certain letters change the name completely. Nicola is a masculine name pronounced NicOla emphasis on O. AlicE emphasis on E (female). Ida (Eeda) A lot of masculine names translated are very old names but quite popular here. Maurizio, Maurice, Giorgio, George. Alberto , Albert. Bernardo , Bernard. Enrico , Eric. And loads more that dont come to mind.

We had a customer who used to tell us stories about her daughter, this lady was in love with Italy and called her daughter Padella, unusual yes but it means frying pan. ( no dont laugh)

A neices baby here was named Giove a nice enough name until its translated to Jupiter!!!

Mothers surnames in my ancesters were quite common to and they originated in the north of england.

• Upvote 2

My name is Lynn Margaret, I was born just after the war and was named after Vera Lynn, because my dad liked her - my mother was called Margaret...........

Newbasfordlad

Colin Powell is actually West Indian and they do pronounce Colin as coal-in.

My parents called me Paul as its a name that is difficult to make a mess of and cannot really be shortened.

My mrs is Russian so has a multitude of names. He name is Marina, but affectionately it is Marisha or Marish. Her name with patronymic ( a sort of middle name, but is the name of her father) is Marina Grigorievna. The usage depends on the severity of the meaning. It takes a little getting used to.

It works like this - imagine a clothes shop where she is looking at lovely elegant dresses that I cannot afford. It starts like this. "Oh Marish, that is expensive" Then goes to "Marina, that dress is too expensive" then goes to "Marina Grigorievna, there is no chance on earth that I am going to buy that dress for you as long as I have a hole in my bum as it is too expensive."

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

McGee no doubt.

I think on my dad's side of the family, they had a bit of a royalist theme going, grandad was Harry Spencer, grandma was Elizabeth Nora and dad was Harry Geoffrey and I ended up as Stephen Jeffrey. My mother (grrr) was Amy Molly and my sister was just Juliet. Btw perhaps Ann could have a connection with Nottingham ie St Ann's Well rd.

I must admit I have never liked my first name, even my Dad once admitted it could have been better. (At school I was called Fenton Claypole, a village nearby? As it matched my initials and some of my name which I hated.) My siblings all had names you hear more than mine. I did shorten it, only my mum and dad called me by the full version. My paternal grandfather was called Gersham (Gran called him Gersh), I was told when he and his siblings (he came from a very large family) were born my great grandfather let the bible fall open and the first male/female name was theirs. Don’t know if this was true or not.

Must admit hated my middle name when at school (Benjamin)     i now love it ,,also Ben or Benj (carnie always calls me Benj)  my Dad and Grandad were both Benjamin,,and if i'm half as good as them i'm well pleased.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my senior year there was a boy whose surname was Hind. His parents named him Bernard, don’t know what they were thinking. Felt so sorry for him when the register was called out - B. Hind, he always blushed. Don’t know if the teachers did it on purpose or not but they could have used his full name which would have made it easier for him.

My middle name is Anne, didn’t use this as there was another Ann (without the e) in our year who was a bit scruffy and always had a runny nose so it put me off the name as well. 

There is a plumbing firm in my area whose van  I often encounter when I'm out. I remember sitting behind it one day at the traffic lights and reading: B Sole, Plumbing and Heating. I wondered if B was short for Bob which was short for Robert. That would be R Sole, Plumbing and Heating! 

I laughed so much, the bloke in the next lane looked at me as though I was potty!

• Upvote 2