Names you like and don't like

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Must admit hated my middle name when at school (Benjamin 

My great great great grandad was a Benjamin. Farmer at Lambley and local worthy. It's a good name!

My middle name is Elizabeth. It was my grandmother's middle name and her mother's name...going right back through the line. I prefer it to Jill but Jill is better than what my sister wanted to call me...Wendy!  Dad always called me Liz. Miss that.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine are named after iconic rock gods.....Dave, Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich.......

colly, I once saw a bunch of photos of cake decorating gone wrong. Someone had called the bakery and asked for Happy Birthday Stephen, it's Stephen with a ph. and the cake said Happy Birthday Phteven.

I have always thought that the like or dislike of a name relies heavily upon who you have previously known with that appellation. What, in the intervening years, has become of Miranda, Celia, Delia, H

I've only one name, and that's good enough for me, and I'm happy with the shortened version.

I don't mind folks having two names, because when in their teens or later, they can declare which they prefer to be known by. 

One of my brothers in law has three Christian names, and he struts around thinking he's better than the rest of his many siblings. 

I do like names that flow, such as many of those on the Eddie Stobart transport fleet. Melanie Jane has a flow to it, whereas Jane Melanie hasn't.

There was a girl at junior school whose parents really didn't think about her name, her initials were VD. Lovely girl, I had quite a crush on her..

Okay, my partners daughter has three children and named them as follows...

Zephyr-Lily,

Aurora-Daisy

and

Phoenix-Rose.

I'm not saying I dislike the names,  but I do feel they're a bit of a mouthful!

(The parents have already shortened them to Zeph, Aura and Phe when talking about them)

A late cousin of mine had 4 children and called them , Kevin, Kim,Karen and .....John Henry. JH after my grandfather. Another cousin was called the same name but he was always known as Jacky.  

Seems like middle names take priority. My sil's names are Anna Fortunata and Maria Carmela both are called by their middle names. Francesca gets called Franca. Bil' s Giovanni ( Gio) Giorgio ( Gior) Angelo ( Angelo) Husband Alessio becomes Aleh ( Alex) to everyone English 

I have always thought that the like or dislike of a name relies heavily upon who you have previously known with that appellation. What, in the intervening years, has become of Miranda, Celia, Delia, Hilary, Wendy, Priscilla and Prudence to name but a few of my favourite female names.

The amusing comment from Staverton Girl concerning "Anne with the runny nose" reminds me of a Henry Mellish lad who never seemed to get the hang of blowing his nose, and who after putting away his handkerchief, would regularly have a "banjo string" attaching his nose to his ear. To this day I have disliked the name Marcus.

Over the years, and these are genuine examples, I have lamented the thoughtless stupidity of parents in naming their offspring :-

R C Bottoms, a teacher at the Henry Mellish.

Fred Hall, who always signed his full name rather than just the initial.

Tom Bowler, who did not get to open many fetes.

Richard Head,  never known as Dick.

Peter Rick, who fully embraced the title and always signed with the name of an appendage.

Surname Pungent, first name 5 letters beginning with F, can anyone guess ?

Like many things today some names are corrupted, a child called Jacob, a fine name, is called by his mother Jay Cob. Still, if he has any more brothers she can perhaps call them Ham cob and Cheese Cob.

Names come in and out of  favour, but although some like Lillian, Mabel and even Ada are back in, the return of others are still awaited. Prior to the popularity of names like Maureen, Doreen, Christine and Marlene etc, children were working looms or sweeping chimneys. These names may not come back until todays children put down their tablets and phones and again play outside. If this should happen , these names will again be needed as mum will again be able to utilise a rising inflection on the een to call the offspring in from a much greater distance.

Why do people cherish awful surnames? Some years ago, working at a Merchant Bank in London a certain Ron Bog, supervisor of that parish, had problems with his name being treated disrespectfully, He therefore changed his name by Deed Poll to that of Hewlett, being the maiden name of his wife. From day one no-one ever went again to the bog, everyone went to the Hewlett, and I believe this is still the case today despite Ron retiring many years ago.

A belated "Happy New Year" To everyone. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

A few 'out-of-favour' girls names are (I think, as I'm not thoroughly up to date in this area) are Doris, Gladys, Joy, Paula, Valerie, Glenis (Glynis, Glenys), Vera, Pamela, Hyacinth, Rose, Violet, Dorothy. I'm sure there are plenty more and perhaps I'm out of date with my list.

All great names with happy memories jonab,,,

Doris me aunty

Gladys,, in my class at school,,

Joy,, a cousin

Paula,, loved her but turned me down,,

Valerie,, two girlfriends

Glenis,, kissed her playing postmans knock,, on Gainsford,,

Vera,, got me there  except for Duckworth

Pam,, another cousin

Hyacinth......only Bucket i'm afraid

Rose,, an Aunt and a Daughter

Violet........a great Aunt

Dorothy.........an old neighbour

just love doing lists...........anymore ?

My aunties were Gertie, Gwen, Edna, Nell, Violet and Helena.  I still like the name Helena.  

My uncles were Ted, Reg, Les, Frank, Bernard and Raymond.  I don't know any younger people these days who have those names.

Older names which have made a comeback are Amy, Emma, Emily, Jack, Joshua and Harry - there are a lot of children round here with those names.   

My mum's name was Kathleen and that is my second name, too.  It's supposed to mean  'pure'....?

• Like 1

After all these years just realised my Granddads William and Benjamin.............were Bill and Ben.................lol

• Like 1

My mum's name was Gladys and her siblings were Frank, Louis, Bernard and Eric twins, Marjorie Lucy and Edna May.

My father had three names, Charles Daniel Vernon. His siblings were named Phyllis Mary, Hilda Burns and Claud Ernest Nathaniel.

Funny thing about names,, have you ever met someone with the same names first and second ?   my surname is fairly uncommon,, but years ago school days,, came across a lad with same names playing against William Crane school at cricket,, only noticed because of score-book.

Then years later like 40,,met again on a job i was doing,,had nice chat,,and went our different ways once more,,then a few years later interviewed his son.......a right Prat he was............lol

7 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Funny thing about names,, have you ever met someone with the same names first and second ?   my surname is fairly uncommon,, but years ago school days,, came across a lad with same names playing against William Crane school at cricket,, only noticed because of score-book.

Then years later like 40,,met again on a job i was doing,,had nice chat,,and went our different ways once more,,then a few years later interviewed his son.......a right Prat he was............lol

Saw a few John Smith's in a bar recently!!

• Like 2

A neighbour’s kid, about my age, was called Angela. She was ginger and a spiteful troublemaker. I’ve always disliked the name until recently when we became neighbours to the loveliest, funniest Irish lady called Angela!   Mind you, I’ve bumped into the spiteful Angela in recent years and still can’t stand her.  There was an Ian on our road when we were kids, he was ginger and spiteful too!  He ended up in Borstal, nasty piece of work.  Maybe it’s not the name but the colour of their hair that makes them nasty individuals? 

• Like 1