OK, some of the old topics got lost in the site crash a couple of months back.

Questions..... Best anti virus download?? I run Norton which causes "friction" with anti spyware/adware software.

Best Anti adware download??

Best anti popup download??

Thanks

I use AVG anti-virus & Spyware doctor for spyware Ayup,both seem to be ok.

I use Ad-Aware SE for adware and spyware which works quite well, as well as Microsoft Antispyware.

• 11 years later...

Virus checkers are one of those things that seem to generate a lot of controversy.  I have run most of them over the years and know enough to know there is not one that is perfect, all have faults. Some like Norton are so intrusive (very effective mind you) that it can slow a PC down. Most of the free ones whilst again being quite good are bloated beyond all recognition from their original format. All report back information about you and what sites you visit.

Microsoft Defender started life as GIANT antivirus, MS bought the company and integrated it into their SpyNetwork system. I use it. Is it better than any other?, no idea. Unless you have access to virus test software there is no way to tell whether one is better or worse than its competitors, it's all down to perception. My MS Defender never finds any problems but then again I'm very careful about which sites I visit. I also use a free 'online' scanner occasionally. Googling 'best free anti-virus' gives some useful reviews.

At the end of the day YOU are the best defence against your PC being compromised.

• 4 months later...

I use either my iPad or a laptop that runs Linux. I have little use for antivirus. However I am involved with Microsoft products and believe the best antivirus protection is provided by Eset. 

You have to pay for it though and there are some decent free options but I find eset does not slow down the machine like some others do.

Remember though that because your virus protection says you don't have a virus doesn't mean you don't have one, it means it hasn't detected one.

• 2 years later...

They are around, just that most computer users user anti virus software these days.

2 hours ago, radfordred said:

Wonder what happened to viruses? You don't hear about them anymore? :crazy:

I'm no expert but I think the virus authors have grown up! There was a time spotty youths tapping away in their bedroom were responsible. Now they're more mature they have either given up or are more particular and target their victims. The average Joe Soap has nothing worth stealing. Banks (who keeps bank details on a computer?) are more savvy now and there is more to be gained from scamming than writing a virus, they're still about but nothing like as prevalent as they once were. Ransomeware is a different kettle of fish.

Edit: lets not confuse a virus with Malware or Adware.