Sorry, I suppose this could go under "Pet Hates" bit I think it might have a lot of mileage in it!

I hate it when supermarkets "hide" a full priced article in with loads of offers! I was in a suprmarket the other day with the grandkids buying chocolate - what else are grandparents for. They had a "Buy 3 for £1.20" deal, so, mouth watering, I thought "Ooh, one for me!"

We chose our Galaxy bar, and Whisper and I had a Mars bar. Got to the checkout - no offer. Went back to the shelf which was full of these "3 for £1.20" bars - except for the Mars bar, right in the middle, which was part of a separate "Meal Deal" All prices clearly shown I suppose; but on tiny yellow labels.

Talk about hidden in full sight!!

Saw this next one in Tesco's at the bottom of Carlton Hill (name and shame!). Large end-of-aisle display of wines (which naturally drew my attention) with large £5.00 labels all over them. Smack in the middle was a Sauvignon Blanc, which, if you moved the large £5.00 ticket, was actually £6.50! True the label said in smaller letters Blossom Hill, but first reaction would be to grab a bottle and not check.

I called a young manager over and asked him to tell me what was wrong with the display (there wasn't even any Blossom Hill on it) and he spent minutes looking at it before I had to tell him.

He assured me that he didn't think it was deliberate. I know that we should always read the labels carefully and all that. Me, I have time to browse, but I'm sure that the majority of folk are in a hurry and just rely on first glance.

Even if you tell the rabbit to beware of the trap, it's still a trap!

post-6051-0-73005000-1455126539_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Totally agree. I've come across this same tactic in the coop but with beer. 3 for £4 or whatever with several different type and with one or two not included so you pay full price on the lot. Fine if that's all you're buying but it can slip past if you include it with a trolley full.

It's also annoying when you do pick the right items on offer, but the till hasn't been updated! This happened to me in Boots, buying hair colour on 'Buy One get one half price'. The item was £6.50 and the total came up as £11.99. The cashier was adamant this was correct because 'the till says so'. I was being charged £7.99, and she said I had read the price ticket wrong. I decided I didn't want them (huff and puff while she cancelled the sale) and offered to return them to the shelf. Adjusted my glasses and read the ticket again, my product was definately £6.50. I went back to the cashier, who was still adamant the till was right so I asked her to come and take a look. Rather begrudingly she admitted I was right, and then said 'I suppose you want it now?' Smiling sweetly I said I would, so more huffing and puffing while she over-rode the bar code. An apology would have been nice but that was a bit too much to expect!! AND she tried to charge me for a bag I hadn't asked for.......

• Upvote 1

A couple of years ago when visiting my mum we went into Lidl. She picked up some loose nuts. At the checkout they were weighed, she paid and we came out. I wasnt famiglia with english prices but I checked the package and to me seemed very expensive. Back in the store I had it rechecked, the cashier insisted it was right but on insistance she weighed it again this time moving the scales slightly. It weighed a lot less and she found that the scales had lodged against the back and was causing an increase on goods, goodness knows how many hadnt noticed the expensive goods.

• Upvote 1

On my first foray into Aldi I bought various items, pleasantly surprised at the low prices. I estimated I'd sepnt under a tenner - when the total came up at the checkout it was £68! Naturally I queried it, the cashier agreed it seemed a lot for such few items. She read down the receipt, and came to 'electric lawn mower' £59.99. We both looked in the trolley, no lawn mower there. I was so shocked, all I could think of to say was 'I haven't got a garden'. The good news was I hadn't been charged for a head of broccoli, obviously a mix up on the barcodes. To give the girl her due she was most apologetic and we did have a laugh about it. Take note Boots!!

• Upvote 2

I'm really glad you enjoyed it Anne..................but i would have nicked you......lol.............not really

Worked as Store tec' in a few of there stores Ian....................they even paid us to fly a guard to Dublin.............

we soon found out why they paid Ian............Same in Glasgow,i volunteered to do a job up there........Easterhouse and Renfrew......i loved the peolple up there but it was a bit scary (to say the least)......especially when they realised you were English,.......but i also loved their sense of humour........would'nt have missed the experience for the World...........