Where would you live today in Nottingham

I was just wondering. If I was coming back to Nottingham (I'm not) where would I live?

I know that many will favour a particular area and I can think of some places, but they may not be what they used to be. I've seen plenty of evidence of that in various posts.

So, the question. If you had a choice where would you live in Nottingham and surrounding areas and why?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After renting Private in Carlton........in a place i could'nt really afford.pretty well skint...being a single Parent with several kids but stll working and just returned to Nottingham from a leafy po

Lots of nice places around Notts and elswhere to live..........but i reckon the most important tthing is..........Who you live with............

Don't get me wrong it's not all perfect out here,like I say we have no shops, the pub shut down a few years ago, three buses a day visiting Lincoln or Newark,the mobile post office comes to the villag

Although Loughborough is in Leicestershire my house is only about half a mile from the Nottinghamshire border.(Normanton on Soar)

I enjoy living where I do, I can get into Nottingham in under an hour(20 minuets by train) & often do.

My house is only a quarter of an hour's walk from Loughborough town centre & most shops/supermarkets.( & quite a few nice pubs ;))

I have good neighbours & I live close to the railway station & bus stops for access to public transport.

There are many other reasons why I like living where I do

Is there anywhere else I would like to live?

NO not really so why move?

• Upvote 1

I'd live in Woodthorpe where I grew up. The particular area where I used to live hasn't changed much and when we visit there now, it's like going back in time. I suspect, though, that wanting to go back to live there is probably more of wanting to go back to my youth! But I'm actually happy living where I am and, on reflection, I think I'll stay here and just visit my birthplace now and again..

• Upvote 1

Somewhere in the Eastern Trent valley, maybe even near Newark, easy commute back to Nottm and peaceful. Not sure about the winters though.

• Upvote 1

Oh Catfan, you're the expert at extolling the virtues of your beloved Bulwell.

Are you the alleged head of the Bulwell Mafia ?

• Upvote 3

Somewhere in the Eastern Trent valley, maybe even near Newark, easy commute back to Nottm and peaceful. Not sure about the winters though.

That's where I am. Only had to walk back from Nottingham once and that was in the 60's when the fog was so thick that no transport was moving. Had to keep stopping in pubs along the way for stiff whiskeys to keep warm!

• Upvote 1

I'm with Banjo,

Somewhere on the western side of the Trent like Bleasby, Fiskerton, Morton, Averham.

Would obviously have to be cautious of any flood prone areas.

Alternatively some of the beautiful villages further away from the river Gonalston, Thurgaton through to Southwell

• Upvote 2

I'm with Banjo,

Somewhere on the western side of the Trent like Bleasby, Fiskerton, Morton, Averham.

Would obviously have to be cautious of any flood prone areas.

Alternatively some of the beautiful villages further away from the river Gonalston, Thurgaton through to Southwell

These and similar villages are some of my favourite places in Nottinghamshire.

I probably wouldn't feel a need to go that far away from the city, particularly as I work there. The place I would certainly choose would be Woodborough, or possibly Lambley. There are problems with floods these days but aside from that they're great for what I want out of life, in Nottingham anyway.

I have to be honest and say there are vast swathes of Nottingham I wouldn't touch with a barge pole these days though. Things are not what they were.

• Upvote 1

Until I got married and left Nottingham my home was in Bilborough and I was happy there. Reading posts about what it is like there now I could not go back. It would wreck happy memories. Thinking of other parts of the city, there have been so many changes I would find it hard to make a judgement without extensive research. This thread has really made me think! Some posts mention locations in Nottinghamshire, but I am not familiar with the county. This is all rather sad when I feel that Nottingham is still my home town. Nottstalgia does a great job in keeping me in touch.

• Upvote 2

Nice little place on the Ropewalk would suit me,thick walls..as I love music and not partial to neighbours, having a country pad requires so much work,particularly in the garden and on the land..learnt an awful lot though..no pickin' up the Yella pages here!!

A winda box will do for me..any lighthouses in Nottm?

It's nice up there on The Ropewalk. I worked on the corner of there and Park Row for a while and really enjoyed that part of town. I actually prefer it over there to the Lace Market.

Plenty of lighthouses, Ian. Kebab houses = lighthouses for drunks. :)

Always liked the Saracens Head. Is that politically correct anymore? :-)

Wife and I had a really nice meal there when we were over for a visit one time. Price was reasonable if I remember rightly. I think the cost of housing was on the high side though. To be expected I suppose.

I hear mixed reviews of eating at the Saracen's these days, it's a great building though.

Southwell housing prices are more than on the high side, unfortunately, they are very expensive.

I like Lowdham a lot and find it a nice, serviceable kind of village with quite a bit there. I prefer it's neighbours, Woodborough and Lambley as being slightly more attractive but there are some useful businesses there and four pubs. There's also the bonus of it having a railway station. It does well for the size of the place for entertainment too with the book festival and various events throughout the year including cinema, live concerts, fairs and horticultural events etc.