Where would you live today in Nottingham

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After renting Private in Carlton........in a place i could'nt really afford.pretty well skint...being a single Parent with several kids but stll working and just returned to Nottingham from a leafy po

Lots of nice places around Notts and elswhere to live..........but i reckon the most important tthing is..........Who you live with............

Don't get me wrong it's not all perfect out here,like I say we have no shops, the pub shut down a few years ago, three buses a day visiting Lincoln or Newark,the mobile post office comes to the villag

I've often thought about where I'd live if I moved back to Nottm.  My memories are all of the views across the Leen Valley down towards Boowul, or across towards Sherwood, from the other side of the ridge that the original Bestwood Est. is built on. Anywhere quiet and civilised that gave me the same sort of views of North Nottm would probably do me.

I've long said that if I were to find myself alone, I'd move back. All of my surviving family are still in that general area.

• Like 3

Well I'm only a free bus and train ride, or a 20 minute drive, from the centre of Liverpool, but in a small reasonably civilised village. I'd consider a swap.. :)

• Like 1

I probably couldn't move back now.  I've been away too long, almost fifty years.  If Idid though, I think I'd choose somewhere in the Thurgaton, southwell area.  I always liked it there for some reason.

1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

If Idid though, I think I'd choose somewhere in the Thurgaton, southwell area.

Me too Loppy, as I have said before on this site, Gonalston, Thurgaton, Bleasby, Fiskerton, Morton, Southwell, Halam or Edingly would do me.

Far enough out of the city but still close by if needed.

It is 40+ years since I left but on visits back these places do not seem to have changed too much.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Similar with me. I couldn't contemplate moving back to Nottingham, or even to England. Been away far too long.

I have some very fond memories of Nottingham (and not quite so much Hucknall) but things were becoming ominous, unpleasant and quite scary where I lived (Second Avenue, Sherwood Rise) and I somehow felt the approach of the Hyson Green riots even in 1978 when I left to live in Kent. I know the riots were some years later but there was a definite unease around the area a long time before that.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Me too Loppy, as I have said before on this site, Gonalston, Thurgaton, Bleasby, Fiskerton, Morton, Southwell, Halam or Edingly would do me.

Far enough out of the city but still close by if needed.

It is 40+ years since I left but on visits back these places do not seem to have changed too much.

Well I live in one of those villages - have done for 56 years. I'd give anything to get away from this deadly dull place but I can’t persuade my wife who loves it here. I would like to live by the sea, preferably Scotland’s west coast.

• Like 1

Keeping it to just Nottingham......having lived in more southern places......since first getting Married in 1967,,ived in Sherwood,,Carlton,,Old Basford, Bulwell,Bestwood Village,,none of them bad places,,but where i am at the moment is only 2 miles from Bulwell where my roots are,, so if i moved again which i think i will,it would be even nearer to Bulwell,,the day may come when i don't drive ,so strolling distance would be good..........unless one of my kids treat me to a place in Spain ofcourse............then it may be ''Bugger Bulwell''............lol

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
On 2/13/2016 at 5:21 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Re: the river trips near Colwick. The Yacht Club is still there and operating at the far end of Trent Lane, but there is building work on the east side of Trent Lane, and a site being cleared on the other side of the road.

Building will soon commence by a friend of ours on about 90 very upmarket apartments, to be called The Yacht Club and standing on the site of the old Yacht Club.   The access from Daleside Road is pretty grim, all needs pulling down! 

C161036_E-_D326-4_CE5-_A69_B-3_E4_F07747

1 hour ago, jonab said:

Similar with me. I couldn't contemplate moving back to Nottingham, or even to England. Been away far too long.

I have some very fond memories of Nottingham (and not quite so much Hucknall) but things were becoming ominous, unpleasant and quite scary where I lived (Second Avenue, Sherwood Rise) and I somehow felt the approach of the Hyson Green riots even in 1978 when I left to live in Kent. I know the riots were some years later but there was a definite unease around the area a long time before that.

Even much worse today jonab, tonight's NP mentions a school in FF where the mix of kids speak 52 different languages !

Diversity gone mad.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/forest-fields-school-children-speak-1832159

It should be quite a pleasant view Phil, I took this from a penthouse of the Trent Basin development which is on the other side of the bottom of Trent Lane, closer to Lady Bay Bridge.  Behind the trees is Nottingham Rugby Club. 

F29_FD400-3151-4_D46-85_CF-_BF81_A16_AFD

• Upvote 1

Yes, that’s not bad I suppose. It’s just that I’m used to seeing the hills of the Trent Valley from both sides with not a house in sight. Even though I don’t like living in this God forsaken village the views from the house are quite spectacular. I’m just sitting on a bench at the front of the house now listening to the thunderstorm rolling up the valley. Some people might think I’m very lucky!smile2

1 hour ago, catfan said:

Even much worse today jonab, tonight's NP mentions a school in FF where the mix of kids speak 52 different languages !

Diversity gone mad.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/forest-fields-school-children-speak-1832159

Yet they can all speak the same second language, so have an advantage over those who can’t.

When my wife started school, she couldn’t speak a word of English, only Polish. Within a very short time, she was fluent in both. These kids will be the same.

It would do our children a lot of good to be encouraged to learn more languages.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Depends on age Phil.  I grew up in Arnold, then lived for 30 years in various Home Counties villages.  I loved the village life and it was a great time and location for bringing up the boys. Moving back to Nottingham 14 years ago wasn’t a decision we took lightly, but it was just to be for a few years until my Dad passed away.  He did just that 5 years ago but we’re still in Nottingham, enjoying being so close to amenities and with a bus every 5 minutes at the end of the road, with a bus pass it’s even more attractive.  4 hospitals within minutes is also an attraction as we get older.  A few years ago my husband got sepsis following a procedure, I got him to hospital at midnight in less than 10 minutes, it saved his life.   

We’ll no doubt down-size yet again in the next couple of years but definitely wouldn’t consider country-living again at our age, even though we don’t feel old, time nips on. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Keeping it to just Nottingham......since first getting Married in 1967,,ived in Sherwood,,Carlton,,Old Basford, Bulwell,Bestwood Village,,none of them bad places,,

All places which had a Marsden's.

• Like 2

A timbered cottage in a field bordered by 10' high nettles would suit me fine. Cottage stuffed with cats, field stuffed with birds, hedgehogs, donkeys, etc. Anywhere in Nottingham,, so long as the locals keep out! ;)

• Like 3
On 2/11/2016 at 5:41 PM, .... said:

Thirty seven posts and nobody's mentioned West Bridgford yet!

7-reasons-to-eat-lard-meme.jpg

Nor Bingham for that matter which always seems to come out well in these sorts of things.

I wanted to call our cat lard :P

• Like 1
On 2/11/2016 at 6:54 AM, Bubblewrap said:

Although Loughborough is in Leicestershire my house is only about half a mile from the Nottinghamshire border.(Normanton on Soar)

I enjoy living where I do, I can get into Nottingham in under an hour(20 minuets by train) & often do.

My house is only a quarter of an hour's walk from Loughborough town centre & most shops/supermarkets.( & quite a few nice pubs ;))

I have good neighbours & I live close to the railway station & bus stops for access to public transport.

There are many other reasons why I like living where I do

Is there anywhere else I would like to live?

NO not really so why move?

And 16 months later I moved to Nottingham(Old Basford)  :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Lambley, my uncle traced Mum's side of the family right back to 1649 in Lambley.

Any names?  My mum's side of the family were in Lambley in the 19th/early 20th century. We could be related!