Where would you live today in Nottingham

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After renting Private in Carlton........in a place i could'nt really afford.pretty well skint...being a single Parent with several kids but stll working and just returned to Nottingham from a leafy po

Lots of nice places around Notts and elswhere to live..........but i reckon the most important tthing is..........Who you live with............

Don't get me wrong it's not all perfect out here,like I say we have no shops, the pub shut down a few years ago, three buses a day visiting Lincoln or Newark,the mobile post office comes to the villag

After renting Private in Carlton........in a place i could'nt really afford.pretty well skint...being a single Parent with several kids but stll working and just returned to Nottingham from a leafy posh Village ,went to see the local councillor for Bestwood estate (Joan Ducker) within 3 weeks she had got me a place like the one above,,got me back on feet and never looked back.......my boys buckled down to their new enviroment,,they kept the place spotless whilst i was working,,had a neighbour do my Ironing,,and a bit of cleaning,,neighbours either side were great too,,one side a bunch of Bikers great blokes who i shared a drink and smoke with 'over the garden fence'' and the other side a chap with many problems with the Police,,even took a Gun off him one night and buried it on the Garden before the Police arrived,,he'd shot it off in Pub in Bulwell.

I was there about 18 months before buying somewhere again,,the Boys tell me ''' Dad they were great days'' which indeed they were,,......i never knock places like the above,,and feel i could still cope with living there again.............

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3
3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

When we came to live in the Trent Valley back in the 60’s a lot of the locals were related. Quite a lot were barmy as well but I suppose that follows!;)

I once lived in a village like that! Never met so many nosey people.

• Like 2

Since the kids we've moved 4 times, but its always just off Ilkeston Road & Wollaton Road, always fancied finishing up my days on Prospect Street Radford just up from the Pheasant in the terraced Rose Hill Cottages. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

When we came to live in the Trent Valley back in the 60’s a lot of the locals were related. Quite a lot were barmy as well but I suppose that follows!;)

Sounds  a bit like the Blue ridge mountains.  Lots of Hillbillies.  Lots of cousins.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

I've come across the name in parish registers when researching, DB, but don't think there are any in my family tree. My lot are Thompson, Ward and the inevitable Smith! Farmers, Millers and bakers most of them and, after retirement, innkeepers of The Robin Hood & Little John, The Woodlark and the other one whose name I can't just remember...Nag's Head? 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't think I could live in Notts. today. After so many years in the middle of nowhere, it would seem overcrowded wherever I was. If forced to choose, it would have to be somewhere around the Newark to Tuxford area - not that I could ever afford to buy a house there!

Wouldn't want to live in Nottingham again,it's pretty quiet out here though and we have no shops or owt like that we do have a church (I'm a non believer) but that only has a service once a month, I do come over to Nottingham now and again especially Bulwell to meet up with some great people (my nottstalgia friend) but it's always nice to come home,we was burgled four times when we lived in Bulwell and I don't miss that,car vandalised five or six times and the old Bill didn't want to know, had the side of my works van crunched in by the person who parked next to it in the communal car park,once again the old Bill weren't interested said no witnesses even though there was paint flakes and scratches from my van all along his cars front bumper, thieves even removed a section of our back garden fence to steal a couple of garden lights that we put there on the same day, I don't think I could afford to live in Nottingham again if I wanted to,(couldn't afford the insurance premiums) I will probably finish my days off here but still visit the place of my birth every now and again

Rog

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong it's not all perfect out here,like I say we have no shops, the pub shut down a few years ago, three buses a day visiting Lincoln or Newark,the mobile post office comes to the village hall car park for half a day a week but crime levels are really low,in fact last year the biggest cause for concern was a dozen partridges went missing from a small holding (don't think anyone realised they could have flown over the fence),the village where we live seems lost in a time warp but the village down the road a couple of miles has a bit more life to it, it has a school, couple of pubs,two shops and a well patronised village hall (thats where I call in for a coffee during my Monday morning bike ride), both villages are friendly and welcoming,What we do have though is plenty of speeding motorists on the narrow lanes and for the most part they are on their mobile phones when driving,quite a few of them end up in the ditches though so there is a bit of justice, village life has it's problems just as much as inner city does,it's just that they are different problems

Rog

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
  • 2 months later...
On 7/27/2018 at 5:12 PM, LizzieM said:

Building will soon commence by a friend of ours on about 90 very upmarket apartments, to be called The Yacht Club and standing on the site of the old Yacht Club.   The access from Daleside Road is pretty grim, all needs pulling down! 

It's coming on. I'll be putting down a deposit on several units in order to provide accommodation for dozens of students.

dwe9Q3h.jpg

The views out of the front will be spectacular; south-facing and across the river. The problem, as Lizzie mentioned, is that access involves going through a semi-disused industrial estate in a run down part of town.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps with the 'devastating' fire at the Cattle Mkt, the whole County Rd / Meadow Lane / Daleside Rd section can be redeveloped, and really enhance the area.

9 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Perhaps with the 'devastating' fire at the Cattle Mkt, the whole County Rd / Meadow Lane / Daleside Rd section can be redeveloped, and really enhance the area.

Luxury apartments or student accommodation?

That seems about all that Nottingham comprises these days.

No, no, no ! Inner city accommodation for the students. There's no pubs and clubs going to be there for them in my ideas !

Luxury apartments only ! 

I have recently moved back to Bilborough. It is really nice where I am. A short walk to shops and vet. Electric bus runs past house and my sisters house is on the route as well as Aldi. Buses into town just down road. It is an area I feel comfortable with, just have to know area and where to look for a house. Did see some rum uns, Jeremy Kyle would have been at home!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

It's coming on. I'll be putting down a deposit on several units in order to provide accommodation for dozens of students.

dwe9Q3h.jpg

The views out of the front will be spectacular; south-facing and across the river. The problem, as Lizzie mentioned, is that access involves going through a semi-disused industrial estate in a run down part of town.

Access will also be from that roundabout where the horse statues are, by Nottingham Racecourse, around the back of the River Crescent development.  Many of these apartments have already been reserved.  

1 minute ago, denshaw said:

I thought it was accessed from Trent lane?

It is at the moment but there are plans for a road through from Racecourse Road. They also hope/plan for a footbridge over to Lady Bay side and also a walkway all the way along towards Trent Bridge.   In a few years time it should be a lovely area to live.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The Colwick sluice gates control the river levels and are designed to spill the floodwater onto the washlands further downstream. I don’t think there’s been any serious flooding in the Meadows or West Bridgford since 1947. However now there is no commercial traffic on the Trent above Cromwell lock (where the tidal Trent  begins) there has been no dredging of the river so it’s much shallower. The problem is that when the river is in flood the drainage dykes and the River Greet at Fiskerton back up and can spill over into the riverside villages. There have been no serious problems so far however. Flooding in Southwell a few years ago was not due to the high Trent level but was a result of flash flooding, and the Potwell Dyke, which runs through the town was unable to contain the water, mainly due to poor maintenance of the watercourse. People like myself who have farmland in the designated washland areas have to pay a drainage rate for the maintenance of the watercouses. I don’t bregrudge the £15 annual cost though!