Where would you live today in Nottingham

Those  wonderful luxury Apartments  overlooking the Trent are indeed going to  improve the area and progress does go on, I wish I could have one.

I could sit on my balcony every day and look down at the Trent and imagine all of us children in the 50s all playing in that same spot, with our buckets and spades, digging in the specially transported beach sand, paddling and squelching in the muddy leechy water in the cordoned off area, or better still risk leeches and broken glass in the paddling pool.(No Elf and Safety in those days)We are still here though? Here I go again on one of the places that meant so much to me and many others all those years ago. The Pleasure Park. 

I am sure the people living in the Apartments will enjoy the views they have and I would love to think that some of them may be the children from the 40/50s who enjoyed our very memorable but sometimes a bit dangerous days out  at the end of Trent Lane. We could do with some kind of permanent reminder on a wall so that it isn't gone and forgotten forever.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After renting Private in Carlton........in a place i could'nt really afford.pretty well skint...being a single Parent with several kids but stll working and just returned to Nottingham from a leafy po

Lots of nice places around Notts and elswhere to live..........but i reckon the most important tthing is..........Who you live with............

Don't get me wrong it's not all perfect out here,like I say we have no shops, the pub shut down a few years ago, three buses a day visiting Lincoln or Newark,the mobile post office comes to the villag

I remember one the rides in the Pleasure Park. It was an aeroplane roundabout where the aeroplanes had real propellers to make it run. Looking back it's a wonder no-one was decapitated as there were no guards round them. 

The fence that kept you from falling in the Trent was mostly broken and woe betide you if you got too close. Punishment was usually a swift clip round the ear and no ice cream. Next to the park was a row boat ferry. For the princely sum of two pennies he would row you across to the opposite bank. why I have no idea there was, and still is, as far as I know nothing there. So another 'tuppence and back you came. All jolly times except for the lovely smell from the Bitterlings factory.

• Like 5

Life was so free and easy in the'Pleasure Park' era. I learnt to swim there as a 4y/o. Big kids were jumping off the landing stage into the Trent. It looked fun so I jumped in too and was way out of my depth. I somehow dog paddled back and was lifted out. My auntie nearly had a fit. It was also possible to hire a rowing boat from the Embankment steps. Wish we could do that now.

If I were single I would consider one of those flats or something close to Trent Bridge. Plenty there to keep one fit and active. Cycle paths, fishing and the gym and bar at the Rowing club. Can't say anywhere else would interest me in the City.

• Like 2

We used to hire a rowing boat from the embankment steps during holidays when were were 10 or 11. No questions were asked, no life jackets, we went with parents’ consent. We would row up to the Toll bridge and back. There were never any problems or mishaps. It gave me a lifelong interest in boating, my first serious venture being the cox of the school’s senior four. We were based at Britannia Rowing Club and trained on Saturday mornings. In the summer we competed at regattas around the country. I still have a miniature trophy, the Butcher Cup, which is dated 1956.

• Like 1

At the side of the pleasure park, underneath the road, is a water outlet. Back in the 50’s with some rowers we took a ‘tub four’ from Britannia up that drain for a few hundred yards. We had to haul our way along. Had there been a flash flood we would probably have been propelled back into the Trent  like cork out of a bottle. I would be interested to know the source of the drain, we chickened out of going further up and it was getting darker!

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

At the side of the pleasure park, underneath the road, is a water outlet. Back in the 50’s with some rowers we took a ‘tub four’ from Britannia up that drain for a few hundred yards. We had to haul our way along. Had there been a flash flood we would probably have been propelled back into the Trent  like cork out of a bottle. I would be interested to know the source of the drain

I noticed that when I was out there. 

L7Ft9fR.jpg

On old maps it's just marked as 'Storm overflow' but doesn't show its source.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Been through the old Mapperly tunnel many times. A bit scary at first! 

Last photo I saw of it looked like folks had been chucking their trash down one of the ventilation shafts.  There was a big mound of it.    I think it was also prone to roof falls. not a great place to spend much time.

Haven't had time to search but there may be a thread about it on here.

I think there may be a topic on the Nottm Suburban Rly that mentions it.

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
On 7/27/2018 at 1:41 PM, loppylugs said:

If I did though, I think I'd choose somewhere in the Thurgaton, southwell area.

A guy who is attempting to do a video blog on every civil parish in England has done this blogonThurgaton. 

THURGARTON: Newark and Sherwood Parish #48 of 84 - YouTube

I never knew that there was a landing field there during WWI. He is called The Village Idiot and his stuff is quite good. Interesting how he pronounces the name of the village, how do the locals pronounce it?

I think I have finally decided that I would like to live at Fiskerton and walk along the retention wall to Hazleford and back for a pint at the Bromley Arms or via the Full Moon at Morton. Just had a look at the menu in the Bromley. It has come a long way from the days of a cheese and onion cob and a pint of Kimberley in the days when I used to fish there.

• Like 1

Just looked at what i said 4 years since.......and it was where i grew up Bestwood estate.....

Loved the place so happy growing up with loads of friends and relatives (even relations Phil lol)........however today i couldn't live there.....all my family and friends have left us (99%) and to live there now would make me so sad.........funny how Happy memories can make us sad.......

• Like 2

I like very much where i live today.......but ive always been a restless soul..........and if i were to move again it would have to be near the city centre for easy access without a car.......sort of Carrington/Woodthorpe....certainly north of city...

• Like 1

I'll lend you a video camera. Perhaps the reason the last bloke didn't include Mayfield towers was because of the gun emplacement near the entrance.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

I like very much where i live today.......but ive always been a restless soul..........and if i were to move again it would have to be near the city centre for easy access without a car.......sort of Carrington/Woodthorpe....certainly north of city...

I was born in Carrington. St. Annes Nursing Home on Herbert Rd. I lived in Woodthorpe for 19 years before moving out into, what was then, the back of beyond. I've remained in this village for over 60 years and I'm still not the oldest inhabitant! Woodthorpe was a nice place back in the 40's/50's and still looks ok when I pass through.

I'd live in Woodthorpe but only if all my children, grandchildren and my friends would move there as well

I don’t think I could move back to suburbia again. Where we live it’s open countryside and 100 yards from the lane. I love the isolation and the scenic views on both sides of the Trent valley. I do meet up with a couple of old friends in my local each week. One lives on Woodthorpe Drive and the other lives on Digby Avenue in a house he built himself about 50 years ago.

On 2/12/2016 at 3:39 PM, Chulla said:

Did you notice, Catfan, another Bulwellian. Add parmitage to the list. There's a lot of them about.

I was a bulwellian chulla in the 70,s and the only crime I remember was a stabbing in the chip shop , yes a fork stabbed a chip ,   I see you mentioned Hungerhill gardens too, was that the old st anns ? I lived on leicester street top end of the road was Hungerhill rd and bottom was st anns well road , I lived in st anns 60,s Era,  love to go back to them days pre demolition,  life was great for a mucky kid back then !