Where would you live today in Nottingham

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I was born in Carrington. St. Annes Nursing Home on Herbert Rd. I lived in Woodthorpe for 19 years before moving out into, what was then, the back of beyond. I've remained in this village for over 60 years and I'm still not the oldest inhabitant! Woodthorpe was a nice place back in the 40's/50's and still looks ok when I pass through.

I was born in church drive in carrington,  I looked on Google maps and it's still there , with a shop on the corner , carrington pottery !

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After renting Private in Carlton........in a place i could'nt really afford.pretty well skint...being a single Parent with several kids but stll working and just returned to Nottingham from a leafy po

Lots of nice places around Notts and elswhere to live..........but i reckon the most important tthing is..........Who you live with............

Don't get me wrong it's not all perfect out here,like I say we have no shops, the pub shut down a few years ago, three buses a day visiting Lincoln or Newark,the mobile post office comes to the villag

On 7/28/2018 at 6:56 PM, catfan said:

Pre '70s St Anns, best place ever, no guns, no drugs & everyone got on OK with each other, loved it.

Very true happy days they were !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 7/28/2018 at 4:39 PM, benjamin1945 said:

After renting Private in Carlton........in a place i could'nt really afford.pretty well skint...being a single Parent with several kids but stll working and just returned to Nottingham from a leafy posh Village ,went to see the local councillor for Bestwood estate (Joan Ducker) within 3 weeks she had got me a place like the one above,,got me back on feet and never looked back.......my boys buckled down to their new enviroment,,they kept the place spotless whilst i was working,,had a neighbour do my Ironing,,and a bit of cleaning,,neighbours either side were great too,,one side a bunch of Bikers great blokes who i shared a drink and smoke with 'over the garden fence'' and the other side a chap with many problems with the Police,,even took a Gun off him one night and buried it on the Garden before the Police arrived,,he'd shot it off in Pub in Bulwell.

I was there about 18 months before buying somewhere again,,the Boys tell me ''' Dad they were great days'' which indeed they were,,......i never knock places like the above,,and feel i could still cope with living there again.............

Ben the pub , was the hoss and jockey ???

Most likely Ben, it was always kicking of there , I remember malcolm mee chasing us  around the pool table for a joke that he didn't get !!!!

Horse and jockey pub Bulwell,  has anyone got any interesting memories in the 70,s ?

On 7/28/2018 at 11:56 AM, catfan said:

Pre '70s St Anns, best place ever, no guns, no drugs & everyone got on OK with each other, loved it.

Your right catfan  Pre St Ann's   we were a community like know other, every one looked after each other if children had to come nome from school to a empty house, someone in the yard where be there to look after them till mum got home. New baby, there was all ways someone to help the midwife, while dads were in the pub wetting babys head,  buse's driven by Big Ears to take you in o the city every 4/5mins,  two dance halls, two markets, 2 picture houses, pubs ? one on every corner. If some one passed away a collection would allways be collected by some-one on the street, for flowers. kids could play out till 10-30 at night as every one would keep an eye on them. Shopping every shop you could think off was on St Ann's Well Road, 

You ask where in Nottingham I would like to live? 

Well being a St Ann's girl after the demolition  and if I was 50 years younger I would not stay in the UK  

I would be off to Cain's Australia.

• Like 2

David memories of 70s

Mini  skirts still in. White plastic boots.  big collars on shirts. Long velvet skirts with split up to thighs, hair mid an maxi cuts, curls on top of your head, blouse with frills, and many more???    Picture house's turning into Bingo Hall's.

?

• Like 1
On 11/24/2022 at 6:12 PM, denshaw said:

Horse and jockey pub Bulwell,  has anyone got any interesting memories in the 70,s ?

In 1978 I worked for Cresta taxis on Main street, I could tell a few tales, not suitable for this site. 

Aww yeah I remember Cresta cabs , a funny thing happen to me whilst I lived in Portsmouth,  a policeman  threw me in a taxi and told the cabbie , get him home ,he's so drunk he can't even walk ,

When we got to my destination , he said right mate that's £3.50 then ,

I fumbled in  me pockets and told him I was skint because I've  blew  it all on beer,

He shook is head in discuss and said go on bugger off !

• Like 1
On 11/24/2022 at 3:00 PM, mary1947 said:

David memories of 70s

Mini  skirts still in. White plastic boots.  big collars on shirts. Long velvet skirts with split up to thighs, hair mid an maxi cuts, curls on top of your head, blouse with frills, and many more???    Picture house's turning into Bingo Hall's.

?

I remember those miniskirts has a boy just turning into a teenager , I had a crush on my sisters friend , they were sitting on a step on a corner street , and I was staring at her legs , and thought my face feels hot , thinking it was her gorgeous legs I looked at my sister who said  ha wer , why are you blushings ?

On 11/24/2022 at 10:12 AM, denshaw said:

Horse and jockey pub Bulwell,  has anyone got any interesting memories in the 70,s ?

In 1978 I worked for Cresta taxis on Main street, I could tell a few tales, not suitable for this site. 

Girls night was a Friday. Girls fighting that is.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, David sheridan said:

I remember those miniskirts has a boy just turning into a teenager , I had a crush on my sisters friend , they were sitting on a step on a corner street , and I was staring at her legs , and thought my face feels hot , thinking it was her gorgeous legs I looked at my sister who said  ha wer , why are you blushings ?

yes Mary Quant did us girls proud. The shorter the better, mind you !! you just think like master (other Half) mini skirts wow!!! stockings??? now you know why tights came in, to stop you fellows from having im-pure thoughts??? but it never stoped  any of you from trying??

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, David sheridan said:

Wrestling in baked beans ???

In the seventies many pubs and clubs in Sydney had well endowed ladies wrestling in jelly.

Not to forget the 80s "sports" of dwarf tossing where people with dwarfism wore padded velcro suits and were thrown at walls and mattresses or dwarf bowling where a person wore a suit with a handle on the back and was slid down a lubricated slide at bowling pins.

Before anyone get outraged or offended it was done with the consent of the participants.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

In the seventies many pubs and clubs in Sydney had well endowed ladies wrestling in jelly.

Not to forget the 80s "sports" of dwarf tossing where people with dwarfism wore padded velcro suits and were thrown at walls and mattresses or dwarf bowling where a person wore a suit with a handle on the back and was slid down a lubricated slide at bowling pins.

Before anyone get outraged or offended it was done with the consent of the participants.

I believe they have dwarf boxing matches here too in the Philippines,  but ive never witnessed it !

19 hours ago, mary1947 said:

yes Mary Quant did us girls proud. The shorter the better, mind you !! you just think like master (other Half) mini skirts wow!!! stockings??? now you know why tights came in, to stop you fellows from having im-pure thoughts??? but it never stoped  any of you from trying??

It's called taking stock mary !!!!

• Like 1
On 11/26/2022 at 10:04 AM, Oztalgian said:

with dwarfism wore padded velcro suits and were thrown at walls

Yeah, those smiling faces in their late sixties pseudo crash helmets, I always observed that the Velcro was insufficient for their weight and nobody ever 'stuck', thankfully had a nice soft smiling landing, however.

The Gut Barging competion that was sometimes

on the same bill was fun,

Couple of videos on utube, one briefly quotes Nottingham.

• Like 1