Nut Yard - Bobbers Mill & Whitemoor

My Mum, who passed on last September, always said she spent her early years somewhere called 'Nut Yard' which would likely have been in either Radford or Bobber's Mill. She was born 1923, and by 1929 was living in Grindon Crs Bulwell Hall.

My maternal family's association with the old Gatehouse at Bobber's Mill is well documented, but I can find no reference to 'Nut Yard' anywhere.

Can any of our local historians help?

Col

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses b

This close-up can't help with the occupants or the businesses, but it clarifies the identity of Whitemoor Cottage and Whitemoor House.     The Cottage in the photo fits the map, w

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jil

Not much in the news archives for Nut Yard . However there is one death announcement in 1918 for a Thomas Hill , husband of Ruby Hill and the address is given as Nut Yard , Chapel Street, Bobbers Mill if that helps .

Re #2 Nut Club ! I thought this was it !

I think I've now discovered it. It's not named on here but I've identified it from another map which is not detailed enough to reproduce here.

Based on what DAVIDW has said, it was here on Chapel Street, Bobbers Mill. Chapel Street below the red arrow is now named Cyril Avenue as a continuation of the road which already had that name.

The main road running up the left side is Nuthall Road, and the "Inn" to the left of the level crossing is the site of the Wheatsheaf pub.

nutyard1.jpg

• Upvote 3

Thanks to all but especially to Cliff for the above. Quite amazing, thank you. I shall try to have a look next time I'm back in Nottm.

Col

• 4 months later...

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses below the arrow.

The days when Bobbers Mill level crossing was the only way out - the road bridge was still being built. The footbridge is still there.

nutyardarrow1_zpsknpuunbc.jpg

• Upvote 7

Cliff. That pic is wonderful. Thanks so much.

I'm pretty certain my Grandad Jack will have worked that signal box at some point and he certainly lived in the railway house next to the footbridge at some point.

His Dad John Whyman born 1858 may well also have lived there. I'm struggling to work out how my Mum lived at Nut Yard too, but I'm thinking maybe Grandad Jack got somewhere in Nut yard and moved out of the Railway house when he got married.

I'm intrigued by what appears to be a garden area at the back of the railway house. I have a couple of old photos which could well have been taken there. I'll try to post them.

• Upvote 1

There is mention of a John Whyman , "signalman at Bobbers Mill crossing" in 1909 . He was a witness at the inquest of a 17 year old called Fred Cuthbert who was killed by a train . John Whyman was the first to inspect the body .

• Upvote 2

David that's brilliant. Do you have a reference or link?

bobbers%20mill_zpsizdgrqqw.jpg

The photo above is of Claude Taylor, of whom I know nothing except that he married my Grandad Jack's sister Ida. I'm wondering if the pic with the locomotive in the background is taken behind the railway house.

Col

• Upvote 1

This is fascinating. I grew up in this area but had never heard of Nut Yard. I did know that Cyril Avenue had formerly been Chapel Street as the name plate said so and I recall that my mother had a friend whose family had kept a shop there. She once showed me a photograph of it, taken around 1890.

When I was at school the Marshall family lived in the Railway House.

• Upvote 1

I remember the Marshall family I was at berridge juniors with John Marshall and I know he had a brother called Victor.Must have a school photo somewhere.

• Upvote 1

Col , article was in Derby Daily Telegraph 16.09.1909.

Like you Col , am stuck in mobile skin so you will have to follow link to my flickr for article .....hope you can read it !

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/28018060856_b8b41fa0b6_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm intrigued by what appears to be a garden area at the back of the railway house. I have a couple of old photos which could well have been taken there. I'll try to post them.

There seems to be quite a garden at the front and back.

bobbers%20mill1_zps4vwxxsip.jpg

And looking at how close the railway line is to the garden, your photo might have been taken there.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Freckles. Looks slightly before my time but clearly taken in the junior playground.

I will send it to my sister who was born in 1950 and also attended Berridge as she may recognise some of the faces.

if you can remember any names that would be helpful as it might jog her memory which is usually quite poor but you never know what she might be able to come up with.

Thanks again David and Cliff. Also fascinating that people here know who lived in the house after my ancestors.

David, I've been able to read the article with out too much difficulty. If I have time later I'll see if I can transcribe it and post here.

I'm especially intrigued by the assertion of the deceased Mum that he was not in the habit of 'reading pernicious literature'. Not sure exactly what that alludes too, but it says something about the moral climate of the times.

Col

Oops I deleted the photo from flickr and it disappeared from here ,does that always happen ? will read the thread about putting pictures on.

I'd already saved the photo, Freckles, so it's safe and sis can have a look at it.

Just remembered that the shop I referred to earlier was the same building that used to be, and possibly still is, the Mill Cafe.