Nut Yard - Bobbers Mill & Whitemoor

Thank-you much appreciated.Going to try and put names to faces,teacher was called Mrs Peat or Peak not very nice.

Back row left to right Leslie Smith lived in kirkstead street, ?,Susan ?,David?,Jeanie Pullen,Brian Marshall,Betty Green,Jeffery?, ?,next row

Norma Sully ,?,ME,David Bull,?,David Lloyd,Jackie Bestow,Graham Pates,?,Brian Newstead,next row

? Janet?,Barry?,Wendy?,Richard?,Margaret?,Clive?,Marilyn Henson<?,?,?,next row

Tommy Tattersel lived on pleasant row,?,Michael Scott,Gwen?,?,?,Freddie ? lived on pleasant row,and Patty Soar lived on pleasant row.

Thats the best I can do.

? denotes name not remembered

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses b

This close-up can't help with the occupants or the businesses, but it clarifies the identity of Whitemoor Cottage and Whitemoor House.     The Cottage in the photo fits the map, w

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jil

Back row ,boy 6 along from the left is John Marshall who lived in the railway house Bobbersmill he had an older brother called Victor.

Sis remembers Mrs Peat and, as you say, didn't find her very pleasant. I think the girl sitting on the front Row Third from the right could be Su Pollard.

Sue Pollard was born in November 1949 and was 8 months older than my sister but they both went through Berridge and Peveril schools.

I was talking to an old school friend about the railway house a few weeks ago and they tell me that it has long since been demolished. Presumably the Marshall family lived there because their father's job had something to do with the Railway.

I remember Mrs Marshall who stood out from the rest of the mothers because she wore an army greatcoat and Wellington boots and used to wheel the youngest child, Jacqueline, around in a homemade wooden barrow.

Peter Marshall does not appear on any of my school photos yet I think he was there right the way through the juniors. Where he went after that I don't know but I seem to recall two or three children possibly including Peter Marshall going to a special school in Nottingham. It may have been called Rose Hill but I can't remember for sure.

• Upvote 1

Rose hill school,stirred a long forgotten memory,.......I think it was a 'special school' and seem to remember it being on Gordon road st. anns,when I was a young boy on Bestwood estate,i had an older next door neighbour go there,i onlr recall him having bad Astma (spell) and he passed away aged 18,

• Upvote 1

Its not Su Pollard she was in my younger sisters class almost all through junior school,my sister was born in september 1949 I was born in 1947.My daughter used to work at the theatre royal and concert hall and spoke to Sue on several occasions she speaks very fondly of Berridge and the junior headmaster Mr Griffiths she was as nutty then as she is now.

Don't know whether my minds playing tricks but I thought there was a special school somewhere off Alfreton Road in the late 50s ,St Anns seems along way for kids to go from the bobbers mill, hyson green area .A girl who lived near us went to a special school,the name Stanley or Winstanley comes to mind.

Thats why i remember the lad next door on Bestwood,because he had to travel a long way each day to St'Anns,no special buses in them days,he had 'bus tokens'.........i'm not sure but i think Rose Hill school is still there,corner of Gordon rd and St.Mathias...........

Yes Ben, I think you were right about Rose Hill being in St Ann's and several children from Berridge did go there although it must have been a long way for them to travel. Rosehill School always sounded a delightful place to me but I don't think it was quite as romantic as the name suggests!

Freckles, if your younger sister was in the same class as Su Pollard then she must have known my sister whose name in those days was Julie Sparrow. Sis is still in touch with Su Pollard and sees her her occasionally. They were both very involved with what was then the Co-operative arts theatre in Nottingham and they even shared a flat together before Sue went off to London to take up show business professionally.

21133797939_a15d825d17_b.jpg

The photo above shows my Grandfather Jack Whyman MM (1897-1969) I can't make out the nameplate on the side of the signalbox, but the photo is dated July 22nd 1927 and inscribed 'Gatehouse, Bobber's Mill.'

To be honest, all of the background looks a bit too rural to me, even for 90 years ago, but I'd welcome opinions. Also if anyone can bring any image manipulation wizardry to bear on the nameplate and manage to read it I will be delighted.

Col

• Upvote 1

Forgot Col. waistcoats were part Railwaymens uniforms weren't they..............

Absolutely Benjamin.

And Grandad Jack was always immaculately turned out. His boots always shone. In the 50s and 60s I was sometimes at his house when he came home from work, he would wander around to the back door of No.4 Grindon Crescent and reach inside. He had a brush hanging on the wall. He would then brush his working clothes down before entering the house.

Col

I remember both Grandads and Dad doing similar..........they used to enjoy Polishing Shoes,as i do..........quite theraputic.

Me too Ben. No excuse for dirty shoes.

Looking again at the picture and looking at Cliff's map ( #5 ), there does appear to be an open space at the side of the signal box, i.e. , to the right as the photo is viewed. That would seem to coincide with the open space between the signal box (S.B. on the map) and 'Aspley Cottage' on the map.

Looking again at the photo, there is what may be a large barn with a curved roof between two trees in the distance to the right of the Signal Box. Also possible buildings in the distance at left.

Wondering if Cliff can find the portion of the map to the right and rear of the box, so we can check out the landscape?

Col

Looking again at the picture and looking at Cliff's map ( #5 ), there does appear to be an open space at the side of the signal box, i.e. , to the right as the photo is viewed. That would seem to coincide with the open space between the signal box (S.B. on the map) and 'Aspley Cottage' on the map.

Looking again at the photo, there is what may be a large barn with a curved roof between two trees in the distance to the right of the Signal Box. Also possible buildings in the distance at left.

Here's the photo from the 1920s widened to show the Crossing Keeper's House on the right, and the Signal Box on the left. I think it's fairly conclusive that this isn't the SB in the photo at #40.

bobbers_zps0viyjlxw.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looking at this photograph I have just remembered as a very small child watching from the spare bedroom window when Linley's factory chimney caught fire in the early 1960s.

I have been told that many years ago, my paternal grandmother used to work at Lindleys factory and that she used to walk all the way from Beeston and all the way back everyday. My grandmother was born in Salisbury Street in Old Radford and so far as I have been able to research, she was a silk worker even after her eldest three children were born. This provided her with a very plausible excuse not to do any rough housework because, as she explained, silk workers were not permitted to have any calluses or rough skin on their hands as to do so would damage the Silk thread when they handled it.

That may have been true but knowing my grandmother as she was in later life, I suspect that she was also an idle little b***** who didn't like doing housework!

That sounds remarkably like somebody else I know and who is quite closely related to her!

Cliff, on that evidence I'd have to agree with you. I'm intrigued by the bus though, which looks quite modern.

Anyway. Assuming Grandad Jack worked the Midland Railway.

He definitely worked the Signal Box at 'Bulwell Crossing', (Carey Road/Bestwood Road/St Alban's Road Junction) because I visited him there.

I'm wonderng if there were other boxes on that line he could have worked, that had a similar landscape around them?

Col

I used to play in this area as I lived quite close, just off Churchfield Lane. At the bottom of the photo above you can see the river Leen and even make out the large diameter pipe that runs parallel with the bridge over the river just to the left.. We would fish for tiddlers and pick blackberries that grew along the edges of the road. We would also stand on the bridge over the railway lines to get engulfed in smoke and steam. The signal box wasn't there and lomax was just the other side. As for the he crossing keepers house I remember looking down onto it from the bridge. There was one boy who lived there who wore a calliper and rode a bike with one pedal. He'd wiz about pretty well.

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2016 at 11:13 AM, Cliff Ton said:

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses below the arrow.

The days when Bobbers Mill level crossing was the only way out - the road bridge was still being built. The footbridge is still there.

nutyardarrow1_zpsknpuunbc.jpg

I remember Cyril Ave quiet well. As I recall at the location of the arrow behind the houses there were old cars dumped there.As a youngster I would sneek in and sit behind the wheel of the wrecks, I guess it would have been around 1952/4. My mother had a hairdressing salon just down from the Nags Head. I note an earlier surname of"Soar" in a school photo I wonder if she was any relation to a Robin Soar I knew,lived in Cyril Ave, his Dad was a coal miner. I spent many a Saturday fetching fish and chips for the drinkers in the Wheatsheaf beer garden.

• Like 1