Nut Yard - Bobbers Mill & Whitemoor

More mystery.

As outlined above my Grandad, his Dad and seemingly a few of his siblings lived at the now demolished 'Railway House' iat Bobber's Mill Crossing up to around the 1930s I think.

I recently went to the funeral of my Mum's cousin Mick, who was descended from my maternal Grandmother's younger half sister.  The people who organised Mick's funeral (cousins of his on his Dad's side) said that they also had relatives who had lived in that same house 'sometime' in the past.  Probably called Bradley.

Curiouser and curiouser..

Col

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses b

This close-up can't help with the occupants or the businesses, but it clarifies the identity of Whitemoor Cottage and Whitemoor House.     The Cottage in the photo fits the map, w

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jil

On 7/8/2016 at 6:55 PM, freckles said:

Just passed Collins cash and carry at Bobbersmill what was the factory called and what did they make ?

Sorry if this is a late reply, but the Collins Cash and Carry used to be the Co Op warehouse from at least the middle 1970s to the nineteens. I worked there as a Sat'dy lad and supplemented my meagre Officer Cadet money with a Sat'dy morning delivery round. 

• 2 years later...

Can I reactivate this topic (as an incompetent new member!!) and ask a question please?

Like Fred Cuthbert, my Gt Grandfather was killed by train on the MR in 1909, at 'Whitemoor level crossing' according to the Evening Post the following day.  The coroner was the same - no mention of John Whyman though. Is that the same place as Bobbers Mill crossing and if not,  where is it? I'm from outside the area and can't see 'Whitemoor Crossing' anywhere on contemporary maps.

25 minutes ago, C B Hunt said:

Can I reactivate this topic (as an incompetent new member!!) and ask a question please?

CBH you seem very competent to me already finding your way round Nottstalgia!  Welcome, by the way...

• Like 2

Welcome CB. I think the crossing in question is the one that was replaced by Bobbers Mill Bridge sometime in the 50's I believe.

Other than that, it's possibly somewhere on the sidings that used to run adjacent to Melbourne Park. 

I'm certain that someone conversant with old maps will elaborate hopefully.

• Like 1

Welcome CBH.  I think you (and FLY) are probably correct in thinking Whitemoor Crossing is the same thing as Bobbers Mill Crossing. I think the bridge - replacing the crossing - was built slightly earlier than FLY suggested; actually some time in the 30s. So the name of Whitemoor Crossing would have gone out of use after that time.

Another clue is on this map from the early 1900s which shows a place named Whitemoor Lodge (no longer there) right next to the crossing. Hence the name - perhaps.

HcgX5mz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4519418586_09e3cc9fcd_b.jpgBobbers mill crossing 1900s-1920s? from an earlier post, looking north.

This Wheatsheaf pub was rebuilt facing Aspley Lane to the left and is now  a fast food retail. The railway is still there as is the (rebuilt) footbridge. The crossing was closed to the road traffic and permanently fenced off when the main road bridge was built, 30s.

Following the road round (about a quarter mile) behind and beyond the horse and cart is where the Whitemoor pub was built and adjacent to that was a big old overgrown house behind a high Bulwell-stone wall which we knew, in the 50s, as Whitemoor Lodge. Probably replacing the original near the crossing?? Either that or it was commonly known as that by default or folklore.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Willow wilson said:

adjacent to that was a big old overgrown house behind a high Bulwell-stone wall which we knew, in the 50s, as Whitemoor Lodge. Probably replacing the original near the crossing?? Either that or it was commonly known as that by default or folklore.

You've jogged my memory there, WW. I remember it too, as a small child,but had forgotten all about it until now.

The 30's seems more likely CT.

Wasn't the site redeveloped as Lodge Close in the late 70s? I may be thinking of an entirely different building but I recall an old house behind a wall which stood next to The Whitemoor Pub when I was a child. Perhaps CT has one of his excellent aerial photos of the area from the 30s.

That's correct Jill. One and the same building. Redeveloped as Lodge Close.

Edit. It's interesting to note that Lomax who have a building materials yard adjacent to the railway give their address as Whitemoor Lodge, 2 Nuthall Road.

That said, I do vaguely remember a dirty plaque declaring Whitemoor Lodge on the stone gatepost of the lodge near the Whitemoor pub.

• Like 1

It looks as though Lodge Close - and the Whitemoor pub - was previously the site of Whitemoor House (as opposed to Lodge which was something else near the level crossing).

NH8DfoM.jpg

And then there's Whitemoor Cottage as well.

Excellent map CT. Just a couple of location adjustments; looking at Whitemoor House on the map and Whitemoor pub on earth view they are the same outline plan and the map shows Whitemoor House opposite Wade's leather works entry, which would confirm it as being the exact position of the pub. The building between the pub, (Whitemoor House) and Whitemoor Cottage is the one I'm locating, it's the same layout and position that I remember but clearly not labelled as anything here. Its just 'a lodge' which I always assumed was Whitemoor Lodge. It was in such a run down condition that it must have been concurrent with Whitemoor lodge near the railway in earlier pre-war days. They didn't take any newspapers from my particular newsagent and since I delivered opposite that bit of Nuthall road I didnt call or get the postal name or number. In mitigation I can't remember (going back maybe 65 years or more), any original Lodge near the railway, only industrial units, so it's been gone a while.

• Like 1

Does anyone recall a small workshop/store owned by Dalgliesh Brothers at corner of Nuthall Road and Albert Avenue. I recall the names of Alan Hambleton  and Mary Brown who lived on Cyril Avenue. I also remember Robin Soar who worked for a pork butchers on the corner of Nuthall Road and Denehurst Avenue. That particular area of Bobbers Mill always had a particular charm as it was untouched by and noticeable building change or development. I remember the post office near to Albert Avenue, the owners had a daughter who also attended Whitemoor Junior School.

• Like 2

I remember Dalgliesh Brothers and Bobbers Mill Post Office. Walked along there in March this year. It has gone.  Thinking back, I do recall the large house being demolished and feeling very annoyed about it. Even as a child I loved old buildings and hated seeing them destroyed.

Willow,

I remember Bert Sheffield's butchers shop and his two sons Pete Sheffield and his brother who's first name I have forgotten.

Bert's shop was on the left next to the old Wardle's store and post office and further down towards Basford Road and near to Harris's bike shop.

The pork butchers I mentioned in my last message was on the other side of Denehurst Avenue which, apparently is now a funeral Directors premises.

My early heart throb Mary Walker lived at the first house on the right of Denehurst Avenue , happy memories linger longer. 

Before Western Boulevard appeared, there was - and still is - a road bridge (Church Street) alongside St Leodegarius Church; no level crossing there.

However, there was a level crossing where the old Nottingham Road joined Vernon Road - where the tram stop is now.

Wilkinson Street is relatively new. Prior to what it is now, it was not much more than a dirt track with a footbridge over the railway.

Thanks for all this - I haven't worked out how to reply to particular messages, only to 'like' them!!) so this is a general thanks!!  

I have the old map (1913) and had seen many references to 'Whitemoor' (then and now) but wasn't sure if that was Whitemoor crossing.  The photo is great, many thanks, but I notice that is also called 'Bobbers Mill crossing'.  I have an older map with Wilkinson Street on it - as you say it was much shorter and just led into gardens.  I think I'm clear now that Whitemoor and Bobbers Mill crossings must be one and the same - but still haven't found anything in writing to confirm it.  I wonder whether the side of the signal box in dj360's photo of John Whyman might help!!!!!  :laughing:

I definitely recall Whitemoor Lodge as being where Lomax is now. Never knew what it was, as Lomax has been there since I was a child. 

I have some very vague recollections for Whitemoor ending largely where the Wheatsheaf is, and Bobbers Mill started after the railway crossing, possibly the Leen. Is my memory playing up, or were the playing fields a little further up the railway line, near to Gerrards soap factory called Whitemoor fields? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, C B Hunt said:

Thanks for all this - I haven't worked out how to reply to particular messages, only to 'like' them!!) so this is a general thanks!!  

To reply, just click in the box labelled "Reply to this topic" which appears after the most recent post in the thread.

• Like 1

@C B Hunt... if you want to reply to a specific message, press 'Quote' and it will appear in the reply box.  Then you can type your reply underneath it

• Like 1

If you go to Google Earth and find Bobbers Mill Cafe you can still see where the crossing was before the bridge went up. There is a pedestrian bridge crossing there now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1