Nut Yard - Bobbers Mill & Whitemoor

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses b

This close-up can't help with the occupants or the businesses, but it clarifies the identity of Whitemoor Cottage and Whitemoor House.     The Cottage in the photo fits the map, w

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jil

Excellent photo, CT. I was in that area in March and it looked much better in 1930!  My mother remembered the fields before Haselmere Road, etc was built. The Lutheran church is already there in 1930.

Whitemoor house looks to be Georgian, possibly built around an older dwelling, as many were. A sad loss.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:10 AM, Cliff Ton said:

NH8DfoM.jpg

Being picky here, Jill. The church in the centre of the pic (if that's the one you refer to) was Methodist until about 1970.

The house marked W. Cottage on the aerial photo was the house I thought was Whitemoor lodge. It has a small porch on the front and it sits in a very large garden adjoining the pub (W. House). Unnamed but clearly shown on the map. It isn't W cottage.

"W. Cottage" is clearly shown on the map to the left of this big house. W. Cottage as shown on the map is an empty plot nearer to Albert Avenue and has no building on it.

Edit. but there again it could be and on the map that's the nearest place for its title

• Like 1

I don't know when it became a Lutheran church, WW, but was always rather surprised that it was. I suppose I thought that most Lutherans were German, for example the great JSB. Seems an odd place for one somehow.

From the map, do I take it that the rather grand looking double fronted house with bay windows at both ground and first floor level is a contender for Whitemoor Lodge?  I don't remember that building being there when I was a child but do remember the crossing keeper's house.

Jill, the Methodists vacated it probably owing to expense and lack of patronage. The Lutherans took it on and erected a new annex on ground to the west. This included a pre-school nursery which was very well attended. I think the wider Lutheran congregation met in a different church every week on a rota basis.

Changing tack but still on the map, ref an earlier post, there is an access road just below and parallel to Albert Avenue that terminates in a cross shaped yard. On the north side of the yard was a workshop and store of Dalgliesh's.

Has anyone any further information on the industries in the surrounding area of Dalgliesh Brothers' premises and any information on any residents of the larger houses?

I also have a recollection that the term 'whitemoor' may have arisen due to the expanse of whitish marsh grassland from Bobber's Mill to Old Basford, New basford and the high ground of Whitemoor school. Obviously it was moorland with the river Leen (stream) flowing through it.

• Like 1

This close-up can't help with the occupants or the businesses, but it clarifies the identity of Whitemoor Cottage and Whitemoor House.

dewU64y.jpg

The Cottage in the photo fits the map, with a porch fronting on to the road and another porch round the side.

• Like 4

There was an orchard of sorts between Whitemoor Cottage and Haslemere rd, still there in the 60s. So from modern maps Haslemere would start just to the left of opposite Albert Ave, just about where that tree is touching the left edge of the pic.

Albert Ave is shown diagonal, centre bottom of the picture.

The first 4 (2 semis) houses built on north side of  Haslemere had back gardens which shared the common boundary with Whitemoor Cottage. The old orchard now has modern houses built on it.

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jill ?). Towards Nottingham, next, was Wade's leather works. Then a row of terraced houses ending at a couple of shops and the post office. One of these houses was the hq office of Elliots steeplejacks. Across Albert avenue then a couple of Victorian houses and next, opposite Haslemere road was an archway which I believe accessed the back yard of a hosiery works which fronted onto Albert Ave. Next to this arch way (still on Nuthall rd)  was a bread and confectioners by the name of Lillicrap. Further along was a small haberdashery/wool shop name of Brunt. Next along was a beautiful Victorian villa, 3 storey, double bay front and with an elegant arched front door access. This house was used in the 70s as student accommodation for American students at University. Somewhere here was the acces to Dalgliesh's. Next was Jones's soft drinks depot fronted by a large open concrete yard, good for racing bikes around after hours, and then a long blue brick yard at right angles to the main road and bounded on opposite long sides by 6 or 8 terraced houses. These were named Table Row I believe.  There may have been 2 of these yards at one time.  Next in line was the Nags Head pub. Opposite Brunts wool shop was Martin's garage and petrol station. South from here was a small TARDIS police box and then the Methodist church.

Disclosure, my family lived in this vicinity, same house, for 76 years.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Willow wilson said:

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jill ?). Towards Nottingham, next, was Wade's leather works. Then a row of terraced houses ending at a couple of shops and the post office. One of these houses was the hq office of Elliots steeplejacks. Across Albert avenue then a couple of Victorian houses and next, opposite Haslemere road was an archway which I believe accessed the back yard of a hosiery works which fronted onto Albert Ave. Next to this arch way (still on Nuthall rd)  was a bread and confectioners by the name of Lillicrap. Further along was a small haberdashery/wool shop name of Brunt. Next along was a beautiful Victorian villa, 3 storey, double bay front and with an elegant arched front door access. This house was used in the 70s as student accommodation for American students at University. Somewhere here was the acces to Dalgliesh's. Next was Jones's soft drinks depot fronted by a large open concrete yard, good for racing bikes around after hours, and then a long blue brick yard at right angles to the main road and bounded on opposite long sides by 6 or 8 terraced houses. These were named Table Row I believe.  There may have been 2 of these yards at one time.  Next in line was the Nags Head pub. Opposite Brunts wool shop was Martin's garage and petrol station. South from here was a small TARDIS police box and then the Methodist church.

Disclosure, my family lived in this vicinity, same house, for 76 years.

Willow,

I remember the buildings and their location quite well. Especially, Lillicrapp's and the post office. The house on Table Row just up from the Nag's Head had a rather crude weather vane in the back yard and remember it drawing my attention for years as I passed on by. All of that local character ending as demolished for a car sales and showroom.

5 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jill ?)

To quote from the Berridge Centenary booklet, ' The Education Committee calculated that Nottingham would need 49 new nursery schools 29 new primary schools and 24 new secondary schools as well as a large number of extensions and Improvements to existing schools. The state of the nation however prevented any large-scale resumption of the school building programme. Work was not to begin on the first five new schools until 1948 and it took a further year before sufficient classroom space was made available to accommodate properly all the pupils kept on for an extra year. This was achieved by the erection of large numbers of prefabricated huts. In the case of Berridge, the site had been too small to allow any further buildings there. Instead,  the committee began to seek a nearby site on which to build the extra huts. Initially they tried to acquire a plot of land to the west of Plimsoll Street but the purchase never took place and it was decided to erect Berridge's 5 new classrooms on the Nuthall Road playing fields and they were ready for use by late 1947. One of these classrooms was equipped for metalwork and 3 of the others were used for art,  technical drawing and rural studies. At the end of the war the Nuthall Road allotments had been abandoned but once the school annexe was built, it was decided to re-establish a garden for use by Berridge boys.'

Peveril Peril will be able to comment on this.

• Like 1
On 6/30/2019 at 1:17 PM, Willow wilson said:

The house marked W. Cottage on the aerial photo was the house I thought was Whitemoor lodge. It has a small porch on the front and it sits in a very large garden adjoining the pub (W. House). Unnamed but clearly shown on the map. It isn't W cottage.

You may not be going mad after all.  That original map was from the 1930s.

I've just found this from the 1950s and the building next door to Whitemoor House (now Hotel) is named as Whitemoor Lodge, although it is clearly the same place as Whitemoor Cottage in the earlier map. An error on the map ? Or a name change ?  And the other Whitemoor Lodge (near the level crossing) is still there with the same name.

E6qY00t.jpg

Thanks for researching that Cliff Ton. This one, next to the pub and near the shops and bus stops, post office etc certainly would carry a greater familiarity post-war than the other one and maybe prone to wrong identification.

It's the Whitemoor mystery.

On summer evenings, Sundays especially, when I was a child, it was enjoyable to walk over Bobbers Mill Bridge to the Whitemoor where some of my friends from school might be sitting outside with their parents. One of my best friends from Berridge would be there with her mum and dad who had an allotment nearby. I often went up to the allotment with them.

They'd stop at the Whitemoor for a drink on the walk back home. Sometimes, friends of my parents came over for tea on a Sunday. They lived in Clifton and we'd all walk to the Whitemoor for a summer evening drink before they caught the 53 bus back home.  Long ago happy days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mention of the allotments reminded me of when dad had the chippy. He had a galvanised bin with all the week's food waste in it, which we'd wheelbarrow down the the allotments to give it to Mr Timmins who kept pigs there. Great days.

Living at Clifton I remember the 53 service because its route seemed quite exotic and unusual.  All the other services went straight from Clifton to the city centre, but the 53 went all the way round the ring road to Arnold. It was like visiting another world.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, denshaw said:

I used to drive the 53 when I was at Sherwood depot. General manager was Derek Deakin.

Just been chatting to Derek on the ‘phone this morning. Had a beer with him yesterday evening as I do every Monday. He’s 86, fit and well and goes to the gym twice a week. An example to us all!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Living at Clifton I remember the 53 service because its route seemed quite exotic and unusual.  All the other services went straight from Clifton to the city centre, but the 53 went all the way round the ring road to Arnold. It was like visiting another world.

I remember as a young boy of about 9 year's old being put on the 53 bus by my mother at Nuthall Road bus stop alone and going all the way to the Arnold terminus and remaining on the bus returning to the terminus at the other end of Western Boulevard (Ilkeston Road?) an then back to Nuthall Road bus stop again to get off and to walk back to my grandmother's house as a means to keep me out of mischief! How time's have changed.

• Upvote 1