Nut Yard - Bobbers Mill & Whitemoor

8 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Who was the General Manager or Chief Engineer in your day Barrie?

Blimey Phil., your talking over fifty years ago

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses b

This close-up can't help with the occupants or the businesses, but it clarifies the identity of Whitemoor Cottage and Whitemoor House.     The Cottage in the photo fits the map, w

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jil

7 hours ago, denshaw said:

I used to drive the 53 when I was at Sherwood depot. General manager was Derek Deakin.

Never knew the 53 was out of Sherwood, certainly not in my day. I can remember when the service first started from valley road to Clifton. Originally it went to Dunkirk island at end of western blvd.

7 hours ago, Alpha said:

I remember as a young boy of about 9 year's old being put on the 53 bus by my mother at Nuthall Road bus stop alone and going all the way to the Arnold terminus and remaining on the bus returning to the terminus at the other end of Western Boulevard (Ilkeston Road?) an then back to Nuthall Road bus stop again to get off and to walk back to my grandmother's house as a means to keep me out of mischief! How time's have changed.

As in previous post, the 53 never went to Arnold, it terminated at valley road/ Mansfield road. The other way it stopped at Dunkirk island. It only passed the bottom of Ilkeston road at Crown island. This was in the days when it WAS an island and not the monstrosity it is now.  Of course I'm talking about the mid sixties. I first went on that route as a conductor, behind driver Joe Handley, back in 1962. Beekay.

8 hours ago, Beekay said:

I used to drive the 53.

3 minutes ago, Beekay said:

As in previous post, the 53 never went to Arnold, it terminated at valley road/ Mansfield road. The other way it stopped at Dunkirk island. It only passed the bottom of Ilkeston road at Crown island. This was in the days when it WAS an island and not the monstrosity it is now.  Of course I'm talking about the mid sixties. I first went on that route as a conductor, behind driver Joe Handley, back in 1962. Beekay.

That is about right where the bus terminated at the end of Valley Road rather than Arnold. The other terminus I recall was at the end of Western Boulevard somewhere near Ilkeston Road. This was around 1952.

My mother's friend, Noreen used to come over to spend the afternoon with my mum in the 60s/early 70s when I was at school. She'd catch the South Notts 53 in Clifton and walk from Western Boulevard to Bobbers Mill every Wednesday. I'd usually get home in time to spend 20 minutes with her before she left to catch the same bus home.

Sometimes, on Sundays, she and her husband, Les, would come over for tea. After a drink at the Whitemoor, they'd catch the 53 home again.

During the school holidays, we would go over go Clifton but we always went through town.

Lovely people both of them and happy memories.

When the 53 was first extended to Clifton from Dunkirk island, it ran via Farnborough rd., Southchurch drive to green lane, then was extended to Farnborough rd.

( This road going in a big arc). Don't recall it ever being run by South Notts though, unless they had their own version.

Meanwhile, back in Whitemoor and Bobbers Mill.....I found this place on the corner of Aspley Lane and Nuthall Road; the site is now a cash-and-carry warehouse.

BbDKQz8.jpg

It was called Aspley Cottage - a bit big for my idea of a cottage.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, denshaw said:

When the 53 ran out of Sherwood depot they changed drivers at Valley road, it used to go up to plains estate in Arnold and in later years went along Howbeck road.

What year were that then ?

Beekay, when you started at Bilborough in 1962 the GM would have been Ben England, he was replaced by John Wake in 1963. The Chief Engineer was John Lowrie. It is good to hear that Dereck Deakin is still alive and kicking.

Jill, Beekay is correct South Notts never ran the 53, it was purely an NCT service.

Thank you DDboy, gotta admit though I was only 19 at the time so the GMs name would have been the last thing on my mind. Can remember the name John Wake on the bus sides though. Said it before but twas the best years of my working life bar none !!!

It is indeed a cash and carry warehouse, but was formerly the Co-op distribution centre for fridges, furniture and almost everything non-food. I adored working there.

As to the Whitemoor pub, I fondly recall a barman called Jack, of the old school, with the elasticated metal arm thingys. Always friendly and knew what I meant when I wanted a black and tan. 

16 minutes ago, Deepdene Boy said:

Jill, Beekay is correct South Notts never ran the 53, it was purely an NCT service.

I'm sure he's right. Perhaps there was another bus run by South Notts. Noreen always referred to catching the South Notts.

I used to know a Noreen, she worked at The National water sports centre, Holme Pierrpont when I were there in '78. ( the only Noreen I'd ever heard of.)

On 1 July 2019 at 3:01 PM, mercurydancer said:

It is correct that the prefab building on the playing fields was an annexe for Berridge as we did out sports stuff there. I still recall the playing fields as Whitemoor field. 

I used to play football for Berridge school on this field. It was always referred to as Nuthall Road playing field (1960-66). I found one of the thick heavy very old pennies on the field when it was muddy and churned up with our boots. I got tackled and fell over and it was just lying there. I still have it. You can't make out the date it's so worn but I think it's 17??.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Beekay said:

used to know a Noreen, she worked at The National water sports centre, Holme Pierrpont when I were there in '78. ( the only Noreen I'd ever heard of.)

Not the same one, Beekay, but it's not a common name.

5 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

found one of the thick heavy very old pennies

They were known as ounce pennies, due to the weight, and often used in 2s or 3s to place over the eyes of a corpse to ensure they stayed closed. The pennies were usually buried afterwards. This custom is referred to in Thomas Hardy's The Mayor of Casterbridge. In that story, some yokel digs them up again and spends them on ale at the inn, demanding, "Why should death rob life of 4d?"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The pennies were also supposed to 'pay the ferry man' who would row them across the river Styx to Hades.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thomas Hardy is one of my favourite fiction authors. Far from the Madding Crowd being my favourite work of his but as it happens I'm currently listening to the Mayor of Casterbridge on iplayer radio. I've read it but a long time ago and can't recall the incident you refer to Jill. It will take me months to listen to it all as I fall asleep after 10 minutes then it takes be ages to find where I was up to the following night. I've got a jam jar full of old coins with some foreign ones in too. I threw my 'once' penny in there and it's been there ever since. Wonder if it once covered a corpse eye and who lost it 200 years or so before I found it. 

The pennies were used in the novel to cover the eyes of Susan Henchard after her death.  Perhaps, if you had dug around a bit at the time you may have found others and they might well have been used for the same purpose, then buried in the field. 

This is the extract from the novel

And she was white as marble-stone," said Mrs. Cuxsom. "And likewise such a thoughtful woman, too — ah, poor soul — that a' minded every little thing that wanted tending. 'Yes,' says she, 'when I'm gone, and my last breath's blowed, look in the top drawer o' the chest in the back room by the window, and you'll find all my coffin clothes, a piece of flannel — that's to put under me, and the little piece is to put under my head; and my new stockings for my feet — they are folded alongside, and all my other things. And there's four ounce pennies, the heaviest I could find, a-tied up in bits of linen, for weights — two for my right eye and two for my left,' she said. 'And when you've used 'em, and my eyes don't open no more, bury the pennies, good souls and don't ye go spending 'em, for I shouldn't like it. And open the windows as soon as I am carried out, and make it as cheerful as you can for Elizabeth-Jane.'"

"Ah, poor heart!"

"Well, and Martha did it, and buried the ounce pennies in the garden. But if ye'll believe words, that man, Christopher Coney, went and dug 'em up, and spent 'em at the Three Mariners. 'Faith,' he said, 'why should death rob life o' fourpence? Death's not of such good report that we should respect 'en to that extent,' says he."

"'Twas a cannibal deed!" deprecated her listeners.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MargieH said:

The pennies were also supposed to 'pay the ferry man' who would row them across the river Styx to Hades.

Is that near Compo, up at Caithness Margie ??

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

I used to play football for Berridge school on this field. It was always referred to as Nuthall Road playing field (1960-66). I found one of the thick heavy very old pennies on the field when it was muddy and churned up with our boots. I got tackled and fell over and it was just lying there. I still have it. You can't make out the date it's so worn but I think it's 17??.

I did play football on what must have been the same ground. I always recall it as being Whitemoor. 

I think it must be the same field MD. I would think the name it was know as changed which is why I dated my time there. Perhaps Nuthall Road was just a name we used and not the official name.