Nut Yard - Bobbers Mill & Whitemoor

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, MargieH said:

@C B Hunt... if you want to reply to a specific message, press 'Quote' and it will appear in the reply box.  Then you can type your reply underneath it

Many thanks Margie.  I had tried a few things but couldn't work it out.  That's great.  CB

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses b

This close-up can't help with the occupants or the businesses, but it clarifies the identity of Whitemoor Cottage and Whitemoor House.     The Cottage in the photo fits the map, w

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jil

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:32 PM, Willow wilson said:

Thanks for researching that Cliff Ton. This one, next to the pub and near the shops and bus stops, post office etc certainly would carry a greater familiarity post-war than the other one and maybe prone to wrong identification.

It's the Whitemoor mystery.

Also, on the modern map there is a 'Lodge Close' right next to the Whitemoor pub - so somebody certainly thought that the Lodge was around that area!!

Hi Alpha,

You mentioned "Robin Soar" in an earlier post. Robin and I where mates in the early 50.s before my family emigrated to Australia in 1956. Lost contact all those years ago. His dad was a coal miner and they lived in Cyril Ave. My Dad ran the shop next to the Post Office, did fish and chips and groceries later. Do you know of Robin,s whereabouts? Probably a long shot but someone may know.

Regards Keith

10 hours ago, kj792 said:

Hi Alpha,

You mentioned "Robin Soar" in an earlier post. Robin and I where mates in the early 50.s before my family emigrated to Australia in 1956. Lost contact all those years ago. His dad was a coal miner and they lived in Cyril Ave. My Dad ran the shop next to the Post Office, did fish and chips and groceries later. Do you know of Robin,s whereabouts? Probably a long shot but someone may know.

Regards Keith

Hi! kj792

I am afraid I have no information on Robin only that I knew him as working for a pork butchers, who's name I forget, at the bottom of Denehurst Avenue.

The only acquaintances' I am able to recall Bobber's Mill are Alan Hambleton, Mary Brown and Adele Jackson who lived further up Nuthall Road at the corner of Whitemoor Avenue.

I wished to emigrate to Ozz in 1962 with two friends if mine, unfortunately my mother intercepted my applications which sadly I failed to follow up. An opportunity lost forever as I joined the Marines instead.

Hi OZTALGIAN,

I live on the Mid North Coast of NSW just out of Forster 4 hours by road to Sydney. We built here 2003 on a golf course estate,still playing golf but as we get older the game becomes a "mystery".

Can you recall what year you new of Robin,I would imagine he would still live in the area,maybe listed in the local phone book.

Regards Keith 

The Robin A Soar who married Madeleine  B Dewhurst in 1962 (found by Jill) emigrated to New Zealand in 1967 with his wife and 2 children. He was naturalised in New Zealand in 1977, date of birth given as 1 Feb 1941 and birthplace as Attenborough, England. Unfortunately he appears to have died  in Auckland in 1999

Hi All 

I thank you for your information. I was born in 1942 and I believe I was 1 year older than Robin,he was a good swimmer and may have furthered in that sport? 

12 hours ago, kj792 said:

Hi Alpha,

Can you recall what year you new of Robin,I would imagine he would still live in the area,maybe listed in the local phone book.

Regards Keith 

Keith,

I last saw Robin in about 1960.

Regards,

A.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to provide some clarification on my original query (I've just visited Nottingham and done some more research). 

Whitemoor Crossing is the same place as Bobbers Mill Crossing.  Although the death certificate and the coroner's report in the newspaper refer to Whitemoor Crossing, the probate report refers to his death being at Bobbers Mill.  We went and left a few flowers there in his memory.  There were at least two deaths reported at the crossing in 1909, that may well be the reason that the footbridge was installed and perhaps Bobbers Mill road bridge?  Thanks to everyone for their help with this, particularly the old photo and maps. 

Incidentally, there seemed to be a wheatsheaf engraved on the front of the McDonalds building by Bobbers Mill.  Is that the same building as was previously the Wheatsheaf pub or is it a new building?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The signal box in the photograph is a Midland Railway design.

I think it is Babbington Crossing.

By taking the line to Trowell from Radford Junction, you would have crossed a colliery line that carried coal to a wharf on Nottingham Canal, where it was loaded onto barges.

Adjacent to this line stood a signal box on the right as you headed towards Trowell.

I think this is the signal box in the photograph, which would have been taken shortly before closure of the box.

As the sun is casting a shadow on the signal box from the telegraph pole, if I am right about the location, then it looks as if the photograph was taken early morning.

One signalman taking a photograph of his colleague at shift changeover?

A memento of their time together before their departures to another location?

This rural setting would quickly disappear.

Western Boulevard being built on the old colliery track bed with the signal box standing somewhere under the Northern end of the bridge.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Dark Angel said:

The signal box in the photograph is a Midland Railway design.   I think it is Babbington Crossing.

Welcome to Nottstalgia Dark Angel.  i assume you're referring to the photo earlier in this thread posted by DJ360 on July 8th 2016.     

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/15163-nut-yard-bobbers-mill-whitemoor/?page=2

Welcome to Nottstalgia from me too Dark Angel.

Many thanks for the information you've posted.  To be honest, I can't visualise where you think the crossing was and what is there now.  Could you give any more pointers?

Thanks again.

Looking again at Dark Angel's post, it all makes sense. This is the area described.

v1TK1og.jpg

The Signal Box in the photo is marked. The roads in the top left in 'Radford Woodhouse' were the area behind Crown Island; the Crown Hotel would be further down the map; the 'Mineral Railway' is now the line of Western Boulevard. The Signal Box would have been level with where Western Blvd crosses the railway today.

• Like 1

The Crown would be well off the bottom of the map. Vane Street is well down Radford Bridge Road. My Fathers birthplace 2 Radford Bridge Road was directly opposite the lock at the top end of Radford Bridge Road and was demolished to build the Crown. The Nottingham Canal (if that is what it is)  is only just on the bottom left corner of the map.

I thought the signal box was situated on the other  side of the colliery line, not as shown on Cliff Tons map.

It's not easy, as you have to forget the modernity of the present and try and picture what it would have been.

The Radford to Trowell line was constructed circa 1875. It is quite likely the wharf ceased to be used in any capacity shortly after. With Newcastle sidings up and running, the coal wagons would have been transferred via the spur. If you look at the photograph, I think the spur runs where the trees are to the right of the signal box.

Pianoman is correct, the wharf is not shown on that map segment.Maybe my brain cells are malfunctioning, but I am sure the loading of the barges was carried out South of Wollaton Road, but there was a siding adjacent to the colliery line North of Wollaton Road.

I thought I was helping DJ360, however, I seem to have confused him.

Will have to try and do some research, am now starting to have doubts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A map dated 1899 shows the signal box and wharf where I thought they were. Am quietly confident I have the right location.

The fact this signal box disappeared under Tarmac ninety years ago doesn't help.

Actually, it didn't ,the Midland Railway would have dismantled it and used the components elsewhere. I know by 1927, it would have been the L.M.S.however the Midland mentality would have prevailed.

Its rural location doesn't help either as there are no landmarks to gauge it's whereabouts. 

I know it is difficult to try and visualise a scene that is out of living memory.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Dark Angel said:

A map dated 1899 shows the signal box and wharf where I thought they were. Am quietly confident I have the right location.

I think I've found the answer.

Looking at old maps from various dates, the signal box moved from the west side of the mineral line to the east side, some time around 1900-1910.

• Like 1
On 8/18/2019 at 10:03 PM, Dark Angel said:

I thought I was helping DJ360, however, I seem to have confused him.

Will have to try and do some research, am now starting to have doubts.

Not at all DA, I am very grateful for your contribution, and those of others like Kev (Cliff-Ton)  At the start of this thread I knew that my Mum told me she lived in Nut Yard and I knew that my Grandfather, Great GF and probably other family members had lived at the Railway House at Bobber's Mill.  But that's about all I knew and I'm only sorry that I didn't do more research whilst they were all still around for me to ask.

You haven't confused me DA.  I don't recall ever visiting Bobber's Mill crossing 'consciously' and I didn't know the area well when I lived in Nottingham, which was 40 + years ago.  I somehow knew that the picture of the signal box didn't match the description, but I had no idea of he old Mineral line or the way that Western Boulevard was involved, but next time I'm home I'll have a proper look and no doubt gain some satisfaction with being able to 'place' things.

Something else I've spotted which might or might not make sense.  If you go back to the aerial shot of Bobber's Mil on P.1, there is an overgrown looking garden at the rear of the old Railway House.  A little below is a picture of my Grandfather's sister Ida, with her husband Claude Taylor.  They are standing in a garden (not overgrown.. but lush with what look ike maybe potato, or bean/pea plants), next to a railway line with an engine passing by.  If you look very closely, there is some sort of structure behind and to the right of them.  It could conceivably be a rabbit hutch or similar.  If you go back to the aerial shot of the Bobber's Mill railway house and garden, there is a structure in the garden, next to the track, between the rear or the house, and what looks like a garden shed at the extreme right.  I'm increasingly convinced that the two pictures show the same garden and the same 'structure'  It would make sense, especially as it looks to me like Claude is also in Railwayman's uniform.

• Like 1

Great detective work Col. It just shows how much detail there is in just one small picture. 

• Like 1