Nut Yard - Bobbers Mill & Whitemoor

A little more to add to the saga of Bobber's Mill.

I sent the info about the 1909 fatality and my Great Grandfather's involvement, to my cousin.. She is the daughter of my late Mum's brother.. also deceased. She wasn't previously aware of the fatality, but has done a lot of research into the Whymans, who were my Maternal ancestors. 

She sent me this information about occupants of the Bobber's Mill 'Railway House'.

1871 was Thomas Black, 52, from Chaddesdon Derbys', his wife Mary, 49, from Belton Leics., daughter Harriet, 12, born Bobbers Mill daughter Alice, 10, born Bobber's Mill and a John Black Tugby, 13, down as a son born Loughborough.  This seems to point to Thomas Black being in the house from 1859...ish.

1881. John Culling, age 38, from Norfolk.  His wife Kizah, 32 from Lincoln and a lodger Henry Wilcockson age 19 from Hucknall.

My cousin continues:  'I think Great Grandad (John Whyman) must have moved there sometime after census was taken 1881, as on the 1881 census he was living on St Peter's St Radford, but was already a signalman. They were still there in 1921 when Grandad (Jack Whyman MM  1897-1969) married Grandma Ida, as that is given as Jack's address.'

Obviously I have no knowledge of Messrs Black, Culling et.al.. but the info may be another piece in someone else's jigsaw.

Col

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At the recent meet-up when I was speaking to DJ360, he mentioned this thread which I'd forgotten he started. So here's the closest you might get to a photo of Nut Yard. It's the short row of houses b

This close-up can't help with the occupants or the businesses, but it clarifies the identity of Whitemoor Cottage and Whitemoor House.     The Cottage in the photo fits the map, w

Points of interest. Opposite the pub was a playing field and along the south side of this was a prefabricated concrete building which I think, but not 100% sure, was an annexe for Berridge school (Jil

On 7/1/2019 at 2:13 PM, Willow wilson said:

Next to this arch way (still on Nuthall rd)  was a bread and confectioners by the name of Lillicrap. Further along was a small haberdashery/wool shop name of Brunt.

There were in fact 2 shops together to the right of the bread shop. One, as mentioned, was Brunt and the other was Marlow.

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't say whether the company is still operational, although I doubt it, but I have vivid memories of watching the fire that took hold of the place in the early 60s. We could see the tall chimney from the bedroom windows at the rear of our house on Bobbers Mill Road. 

• 2 months later...

I have been doing some research into my family history. I was born in 1946 and the first house where my parents lived was with my mother's mother at 2 Whitemoor Lodge. My Grandparents lived there until the 1960s. It was a rental property owned by Lomax. My grandparents moved out when the site was cleared for the redevelopment of building materials and garden centre. I visited my grandparents regularly and knew the house well. During my historical research, I have found on the national archive a register from 1939 which shows who was living where. At that time my grandparents were not living here but they came to Nottingham after WW2 to care for another relative who was living there in 1939 and is listed. As I remember it, numbers 1 & 2 Whitemoor lodge. However on the 1939 ledger are lsited nubers 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 Whitemoor Lodge. Can anyone throw any light on this please. 

Welcome to Nottstalgia peter baranek.

Re; your questions about the numbering of Whitemoor Lodge. Have you read through the earlier posts in this thread which mention the subject - specifically starting at June 27th 2019 onwards ? (ignore the thread drift about the 53 bus route).

There are two buildings identified as Whitemoor Lodge, which may answer your question.

• 2 months later...

Hi all :victory:

I was wondering does anyone know what kind of industry was Whitemoor Works? I have had a bit of work done in my garden recently and found no end of old bits and bobs, also I find my garden plants grow and flower much slower than elsewhere. I live on what is now the corner of Bracknell Crescent, which I know/think was built in the 50's and was built on the site of Whitemoor works. 

Welcome to Nottstalgia Susie A.

Can you confirm that Bracknell Crescent - where you live - is the road off Western Boulevard, near Didcot Drive ?  Whitemoor Works was near Bobbers Mill Bridge, quite a distance from you, so I'm not sure you'd find any leftovers from there (and it was a Leather Works).

There was Newcastle Colliery which was just across Nuthall Road from you. Are you digging up coal as well ?

I think you are right Jill, the houses are exactly the same as the one I grew up in, mine was built 1933. Incidentally, Bracknell Crescent Whitemoor is the only Bracknell Cres in the UK. Not a lot of people know that!

On 6/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Welcome to Nottstalgia Susie A.

Can you confirm that Bracknell Crescent - where you live - is the road off Western Boulevard, near Didcot Drive ?  Whitemoor Works was near Bobbers Mill Bridge, quite a distance from you, so I'm not sure you'd find any leftovers from there (and it was a Leather Works).

There was Newcastle Colliery which was just across Nuthall Road from you. Are you digging up coal as well ?

Oh must have misidentified the roads on the old map. That's very useful, thankyou. And yes I have dug up coal.

On 6/8/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I used to know a lady who was born on Bracknell Crescent. She would be in her 80s now and I thought the houses were early 30s unless more were built in the 50s.

Our house is one of the prefab postwar type 2 cornish units that are scattered about the crescent. So maybe a bit of an addition to the previous 30's houses. Though I'm not certain.

My former colleague's maiden name was Varney and she was born in 1936. The Bracknell Crescent houses would have been quite new then. I don't know which number the family occupied. Doubtless, the 1939 Register would supply the answer.

On 6/8/2020 at 2:01 PM, Susie A said:

I live on what is now the corner of Bracknell Crescent, which I know/think was built in the 50's 

This is Bracknell Crescent (the circular thing) in the 1930s, with Nuthall Road going across the lower half and Newcastle Colliery at the bottom. At the lower left is the Newcastle Arms on the corner of Basford Road.

up7ZM5Y.jpg

That must be Western Boulevard going diagonally across the top bit. I think they built the Whitemoor schools in the middle of Bracknell?

16 minutes ago, katyjay said:

That must be Western Boulevard going diagonally across the top bit. I think they built the Whitemoor schools in the middle of Bracknell?

That's correct. Whitemoor Junior School prior to construction, complete with attached brick and concrete slabbed roof air-rad shelters, most of which are still there. Far right of the image is the beginning of Wilkinson Street from Western Boulevard.

The road going diagonally up at the near left from the Newcastle Arms was known formally as High Street, since 50's-60's renamed as Basford Road.

The Newcastle Colliery clearly defined, though the embanked mineral line extension immediately south of Newcastle Farm coming in from the left and marked as a track is yet to be laid.

Part of the farm premises, opposite the end of Basford Road, was where Ted Breffit's garage and forecourt was to be later occupied. 

• 3 years later...

Hi all, just to let you know that it was my ancestors that lived at Whitemoor house! The Farrand family. Farrand was my maiden name. I’ve lived in Nottingham my whole life and used to drive past the Whitemoor pub to go to work and never knew any of this until I started doing my family tree just after Christmas! Sadly I can’t find any info about the house at all but assume it’s what is now the pub. Nice to hear all of your memories from that area

• Like 1

Hi Michace29   A very warm welcome from me to you. I am sure some member will have some information about what you asking. Enjoy the site and keep posting,   xx

• Like 1

Welcome, @Michace29

I, too, grew up in the Bobbers Mill area. Are your Farrands related to the Farrands who ran a chain of grocery shops? If so, @benjamin1945will be very interested.

The Whitemoor pub was, I believe, built as a public house and Whitemoor House was something separate. I think this topic has been mentioned elsewhere on the site but possibly under a different thread. Our whizz of a moderator @Cliff Ton will be able to help there.

Pleased to hear you've caught the family history bug. Many of us on here are addicts.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Michace29 said:

Hi all, just to let you know that it was my ancestors that lived at Whitemoor house! The Farrand family. Farrand was my maiden name.

Welcome to Nottstalgia Michace29. I assume you've read all the earlier posts in this thread and you've identified the correct building.

If you look back starting at June 28th  2019, you'll see there's potential for confusion regarding Whitemoor House, Whitemoor Cottage,  and Whitemoor Lodge, which were different places but close to each other.

I may have mentioned it before but I can remember when the old house next to The Whitemoor was still standing. As a child, I sometimes went to The Whitemoor on summer Sunday evenings with my parents. We would sit outside, often chatting to one of my best friends from Berridge and her parents who would, likewise, be sitting outside after a few hours on their allotment.  The old house was covered in ivy and I remember wondering what it was like inside. I have no idea whether it was inhabited at that time.